Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took a Kaplan online practice test - 610 - how to improve?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Took a Kaplan online practice test - 610 - how to improve? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2007, 22:52
Hi folks:

I am just starting my GMAT preparation. I decided to take Kaplan's free online test tonight. I have never previously prepared the GMAT, but I have taken an LSAT course (which helps on CR I think). From this test, I can already see that the Verbal-type sections are much easier on the GMAT (IMO) than the LSAT.

Here are my breakdowns:

Q: 19 correct, 37 total - 51% correct, 59th percentile
DS: 4 correct, 14 total, 29%
PS: 15 correct, 23 total, 65%
~20 minutes to spare (maybe I need to slow down and be more careful)

V: 35 correct, 41 total - 85%, 96th percentile
RC: 12 correct, 14 total, 86%
SC: 13 correct, 16 total, 81%
CR: 10 correct, 11 total, 91%
~20 minutes to spare

TOTAL: 54 correct, 78 total - 69%, 73rd percentile, Q33 V43

My questions now are:

1) On Data Sufficiency, say I can deduce that x = 2 or -2. Is that sufficient to know what x is? This occured at least 2-3 times and I said sufficient each time.

2) What self-study books should I pick up? I have GMATPrep and am contemplating OG11.

3) Is the Kaplan free online test even a good indicator of the types and difficulty of questions I can expect on the real test? I know it is not adaptive.

4) I scored 85% correct on Verbal. If I had a similar % correct (>80%) on Quant, what sort of GMAT score can I expect (>700)? Upon further reading, I know that this is sort of anomalous.. but are there any general guidelines?

Any and all suggestions, comments are welcomed.
I am sure you've seen thousands of these types of post. If there is a similar post out there, please let me know the link or what to search!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by chron3k on 03 Dec 2007, 23:24, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2007, 23:06
At the start of preparation, 610 in Kaplan should be a good score. I see people getting around 650 in this forum in the mid of their preperation.

Dont worry as Kaplan tests are harder than the real GMAT as per the views of this forum members.
  [#permalink] 03 Dec 2007, 23:06