Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

took GMAT 3 times still in the mid 600s....want 680+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

took GMAT 3 times still in the mid 600s....want 680+ [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 21:10
here are my scores:

1st: 640 (V29, Q48) AWA 3.5 [taken 3 years ago]
2nd: 650 (V34, Q47) AWA 4.0 [Aug 08]
3rd: 630 (V32, Q44) AWA 4.0 [Sept 08]

I wanna apply for Stanford and Anderson so i need 700+ (i'll still apply if i get 680+)

I'm goin for Fall 09 so I have to acheive it by end of year. Any ideas to what approach i should take?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: took GMAT 3 times still in the mid 600s....want 680+ [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 07:56
Bfung

I suggest you do more practice from OG10 and OG11 along with their reviews and give the GMATprep and see where do you stand. You seem weak in verbal. So for the sentence correction part study the Manhattan SC guide and for CR part read the powerscore CR bible. If you diligently study from these two resources, it will help you to catapult the score above 38. And for quant practice from GMAT club challenges. It will help you to raise your score by 3-4 points.
Good luck

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: took GMAT 3 times still in the mid 600s....want 680+ [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 09:14
Can't disagree with anything in this post. You also might look at your timing. Did you complete the entire verbal section? Did you have to guess at any of them? If so, how many? It sounds odd, but knowing your time limitations on each question will help you a lot. When a question stumps you, guess and move on.

subarao wrote:
Bfung

I suggest you do more practice from OG10 and OG11 along with their reviews and give the GMATprep and see where do you stand. You seem weak in verbal. So for the sentence correction part study the Manhattan SC guide and for CR part read the powerscore CR bible. If you diligently study from these two resources, it will help you to catapult the score above 38. And for quant practice from GMAT club challenges. It will help you to raise your score by 3-4 points.
Good luck

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: took GMAT 3 times still in the mid 600s....want 680+ [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 11:34
thx guys...

yes my verbal seems week coz i'm coming from a non-english native background....altho it has got a bit better compared to 3 yrs ago w/ a lot of readings....and i got my AWA to 4 which should do

i'm as concerned about how i can't score better in quant coz they prolly expect more from me coming from an asian/engineering background...my quant has actually gotten worse compared to 3 yrs ago...seems like i'm doin as much math w/ my current job as i did in school which explains why....

i've finished the OG 11, did the manhattan free exam, did both GMATPrep exams twice....

i was very disappointed about my 3rd score coz i thought if i could maintain my best V(34) from my 2nd exam and my best Q(48) from the 1st exam i'd haf at least got a 680+...but it turned out to be the lowest score of the 3....

yes i had probs w/ timing in my 3rd quant...and i was rushing/guessing a bit for my last 10 questions....i guess that really hurt? btw, how big a penalty is it to not finish one question?
Intern
Intern

took 3 times 630-650....want 680+ [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 18:35
i'm plannin to take it again b4 xmas...i wonder if i should spend more time on quant or verbal...my verbal is lower which means more rooms for improvment, but i've been told that quant counts more...at least for my background

btw..subarao..wat's the powerscore CR bible? is it a book/CD/online test?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: took GMAT 3 times still in the mid 600s....want 680+ [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2008, 13:58
I would suggest attacking your weakest area to improve your score. I am very weak in sentence correction and my practice scores have improved from focusing on my weakest area first.

I would also suggest typing in proper grammar and spelling. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but I think it's beneficial to do so. Once I started studying for the exam, I noticed my weakness in not only with basic structure, but also with my everyday skills. I pushed myself to get away from typing "internet" spelling and emails and it's helping me improve in the grammar skills.

Good luck on your exam!
Intern
Intern

Re: took GMAT 3 times still in the mid 600s....want 680+ [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 19:04
Appreciate your advice. I see your point about staying away from "internet" style. I'm currently studying for another exam for late nov / early dec. My plan is, if I don't get 680+ I won't bother applying and i'm not gonna start the essays because it's not realistic. But if i do, i'll have a month to work on the apps.

hwiya320 wrote:
I would suggest attacking your weakest area to improve your score. I am very weak in sentence correction and my practice scores have improved from focusing on my weakest area first.

I would also suggest typing in proper grammar and spelling. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but I think it's beneficial to do so. Once I started studying for the exam, I noticed my weakness in not only with basic structure, but also with my everyday skills. I pushed myself to get away from typing "internet" spelling and emails and it's helping me improve in the grammar skills.

Good luck on your exam!
Re: took GMAT 3 times still in the mid 600s....want 680+   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2008, 19:04