Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took GMAT on 04/28 - Got 570 (Q45 , V25)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 20

Took GMAT on 04/28 - Got 570 (Q45 , V25) [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 14:27
Dear Friends,

I took GMAT this Saturday and result was utterly disappointing, 570 (Q45, V25). Like everyone's dream I too was dreaming 700+ but I knew at the bottom of my heart that I am capable of only 650 or so. In my practice tests I used to score around 600 - 680. In my last 2 GMAT Preps I scored 680 and 730. But the last 730 was an inflated score as I had gone through all the SC, CR questions before the test. This was perhaps the worst decision to waste my GMAT Prep like this. It would have helped if I would have known that I still range in 600s, I would have planned to postpone the test a little bit to give myself more time. Another blunder Is did was in my last week - Mon – Fri, I dint take any practice test which I felt negatively affected me during my exam. Due to exam anxiety initial 2-3 quant question were bumping me, Later I was able to control somehow. Verbal I don’t know what happened, my Verbal is poor and I was able to see that in all my test scores, I used to get 16-19 questions wrong in all my practice tests. But with GMATPill RC strategies and SC guide checklist somehow I improved and felt little confident in last 2-3 weeks of my preparation.

Anyways, it’s past now, It dint take much time for me to come over it. It just took a weekend, perhaps the reason was that my wife also took GMAT with me and she got 680 which was pretty good and expected score. Though she too underperformed a little, we were expecting her to cross 700+ easily based on her performances in all the practice tests she took. Both of us prepared together and I can safely say that we gave enough time to our preparations (almost 5 serious months).

I am utterly disappointed and at this moment feeling like Verbal won’t be possible to conquer, I am not much worried about Quant. I know where I have to improve some initial questions in exam stumped me. I feel like I can improve my quant score for sure but Verbal is almost looking impossible. I wanted to write a separate email to BB and Zeke seeking suggestions on what should I do next but thought it will be better if I post it here so that someone who has gone through such situation can guide and help me on how can I deal this. Though I have a good job and so far and things are going on well professionally, I want do my MBA and I have no other way other than turning my GMAT disaster to a success. I want to do MBA from any of the top 3 institutes in India.

This is what I have planned.

1) Since I have exhausted most of questions and material in forums or books I have (though not the way I should have), I think I will take a break for 2-3 months. I want to gather some more energy as well. I have some personal things lined up in my life which won’t allow me to again take out 2-3 hours/day for studies. So I will restart my preparations after 2-3 months.

2) Till then as suggested by BB, I will read GMAT fiction, word by word. I will read a lot, I will read critically. After taking real exam I felt my Verbal is pathetic and I need to sink myself in lot of English. I have experienced it earlier when I use to read good that it comes naturally. Hopefully I can pull it through again and get my GMAT English to a mark when I get comfortable with GMAT questions.

3) I will keep in touch with Quant by solving 10-15 questions a week. Following Bunnel’s post every week, replying to questions in Quant forums etc

4) Once I feel I am ready with Verbal, I will start again. Will give 2-3 month maximum for my preparations, will go through GMAT Math book, GMAT Club Tests, Bunnel's questions, will take 6-7 practice tests, MGMAT SC guide, Powerscore CR. GMAT Prep tests, I hope this should work.

Apart from this if you think I can do anything else to keep myself motivated to conquer the GMAT beast, please suggest. I am seriously looking for some help in Verbal. I have to improve in Verbal and I will do everything it takes to cross 40 in Verbal. Please let me know.

BB and Zeke - If you see this post then please do reply, I am looking forward for some inputs from you. For me you are my GMAT mentors.

Thanks
Sourabh
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8775 [1] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Took GMAT on 04/28 - Got 570 (Q45 , V25) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1. Wow. It is a long post. Looks like you put some thought into it

2. I would focus on the basics - yes reading and also getting books such as MGMAT Verbal Foundations and possibly MGMAT Math Foundations (to help with the Q45).

That would be my take and suggestions for it.
Another item, is you should stop doing so many questions - that's not how you get better at the GMAT, rather through learning the concepts in math/grammar books.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 656 [0], given: 6

Re: Took GMAT on 04/28 - Got 570 (Q45 , V25) [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 18:46
Expert's post
Sourabh,

Thanks for your message. Your last week was supposed to be all practice tests and reviewing questions you got wrong! You can't allow yourself to skip this important step.

Doing GMAT Preps that you already saw - that's OK. Just do so holding yourself at a higher standard. Never feel "comfortable" just because you scored 730 on a practice one.

Also, as bb says - don't just list a bunch resources and say that you will go through all of them.

You need to EXHAUST OG and GMATPrep. When I say EXHAUST - I mean you do not allow yourself to go to bed until you solidly understand why you got each question wrong that day. Do at least 15 questions a day. Mark the ones you get wrong and don't go to bed until you master all 15. Then when you wake up the next day, review the ones that were extra trouble in order to reinforce your understanding.

I'd say exhausting OG and GMATPrep and maybe 1 additional resource is more effective than simply breezing through 6 or 7 different sources and not actually "exhausting" them.

Give yourself a break. 1 month is good.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 38

Re: Took GMAT on 04/28 - Got 570 (Q45 , V25) [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 10:12
hey sourabh,
i too took gmat on the same date and scored 590(q49, v22).
I was very disappointed by the score. Just taking a break from GMAT now.
Will start my preparation after one month or so.

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Booth '16, ISB '15
GPA: 3.37
WE: Military Officer (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Took GMAT on 04/28 - Got 570 (Q45 , V25) [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 15:41
Hello,
very interesting to read the thread.I have given my gmat yesterday and have managed only a 570.My target was around 660.Well like everybody I am thinking what next.I was constantly getting around 620-660 in the mock tests.So I was expecting to repeat the performance.
I scored Q36,V 32.I think I did pretty bad at Quant.
I have a few issues to ask if someone can help me out.What is the ideal time gap one should have between the first and second attempt.That is to have a meaningful rise in the score.
What resources can I use to really strengthen my quant.
Are tutions a better bet or online tutoring is good.If online is better Can somebody reccomend me which one?
Re: Took GMAT on 04/28 - Got 570 (Q45 , V25)   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2012, 15:41