Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took GMAT on 31 July: Need some serious advice in Verbal.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Took GMAT on 31 July: Need some serious advice in Verbal. [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2004, 17:21
Hi all,

Took GMAT on this saturday. 660 was the score ( Q 50, V 31).
Needless to say that I bombed my Verbal. I just don't know what happened. I took me approx. 15 minutes to solve 4 crs between 20 and 25. And I was not sure whether I was clicking the right choice.

I need some advice on CRs. CRs for me have always been a luck factor. To be frank, I don't have any concepts or fundas for CR. I used to solve them almost in the same manner. Like if there is an assumption question, try to find the broken link, if there is a weaken the argument question follow so and so... etc. But I really want to know whether we can have learn doing CRs or is it just a matter of whether we click the questions or not... I know from my experience that SCs are learnable. You can improve a lot in them. But for Crs, I have no clue what to do. Its not that I don't know CRs at all. But, as I have said, its a 50-50 thing for me.

I need some serious advice on this from this esteemed group. I have seen people improving a lot. And I also want to do the same. Please advise. I want to know what should I look for when I practice the CRs and what strategy should I follow to master them. I knwo that this group can give me a lot of views.

Thanks .
Shyam
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2004, 23:51
I dont have the answer you want, but this might help.

another of my fav lines : Study your errors and explain the solutions to yourself.

Keep a binder and start updating it with ALL problems you get wrong. Write down the mistake and explain it to yourself what is the correct way. Even for the problems you do get right, make sure you understand the correct solution. I am sure you will improve.

Allow me to post a comment to our new friends here. its not necessarily related to your problem.

Summary of my rambling below :- Solving problems by using Process of Elimination (POE) is absolutely NOT cool for learning , but cool when taking practise tests. i will try to explain :oops:

Just a note to our new friends here, while i remember it : In your prep, especially for the verbal section, Process of Elimination is the WORST way to learn concepts on the GMAT. POE cripples your thought process. POE should be your last option when you prep. its a temptation you must resist in your prep. otherwise, all you would be doing is getting a problem right. you wouldnt learn anything significant.

POE is great for tough problems on practise tests, I dont mind if you have to use POE on the practise tests, but NEVER use POE as a learning tool.

I hope i made the distinction clear.

Praetorian
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Praetorian [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 03:05
doode

u r absloutely right i will adhere to this and work on the verbal by keeping an error log ithink that should help and defintly make me understand what i am making mistakes about and how i can not make them in the future

thanks for sharing your approach

rxs0005
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 04:49
Hi Pawars, could you throw some light on the rest of the test taking expereince.........the usual stuff like, quant difficulty level, Prob/Permu/Comb etc breakup...........take pride in the 50 Quant u got.....I have a feeling u will succeed in the next attempt......good luck and thanks for ur time!!

cbrf3!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 08:35
The Quant was a bit lenghty one... More like the Kaplan tests. 1 Prob, 1 combination and 2 SD,Median questions. Rest of the stuff was pretty much straight but definitely lengthy. It required calculations. The Probability and Combination questions were just formulae based. Nothing much was required to be done.

Verbal started pretty well. SCs were based on those typical problems that OG addresses. CRs also were not as hard as they are in KAP 800 etc but as I have said, I know ,after reading the stem and after a bit of hide and seek with the choices, whether I would be able to answer them or not. And to be precise, I didn't had that feeling with the Cr questions during the test. RCs were not lengthy but definitely had a lot of inference questions in them.

I am going to work on the verbal part again and take the exam. I want to kill this stuff.

Shyam
  [#permalink] 02 Aug 2004, 08:35