Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

took it today, got a 730 :) , saying thanks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

took it today, got a 730 :) , saying thanks [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 03:41
Thanks everyone for everything!!!! what more can i say. I took the GMAT today and scored a 730 (97 perc) (48Q 41V)
As tradition commands , i have some advice for the yunguns cough cough

TOP TEN THINGS TO DO AND NOT TO DO

1) I never used the OG!!
2) I bought the kaplan and pr books and exhausted both
3) Kaplan CD contrary to popular belief is not very good. It has corny cartoon graphics and the tests are way too hard ( i got a 520 on the first and couldn even finish the second on time) read my earlier post about that and ull see how frustrated i was!!!!
4)KEEP an Error Log!!!!!!
5)oh the only good thing about the kaplan CD were the verbal lessons.
6)if u start a month and a half before the exam, dedicate a week to each topic ( ie week i sentence correction week 2 DS etc) at the end of every week take the practice test. DO NOT take your score too seriously.
7) Always go in to ur exam with the aim of acing it and the confidence that you will.
8) FORGET about every previous question answered.
9)Use your earplugs
10) walk out with a smile no matter what your score because the GMAT isnt life and life isnt the GMAT!!!!

Lemme know if yall have any questions

Peace and thanks to everyone who took time to answer my questions.
Hopefully ill answer some on this post and give back

Karan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 04:22
congrats on excellent score!

could you share what sort of questions appeared on the math sections? (permutations/comb, abs. values, etc.?)
also, how did you practice for your RC or did it come natural to you?
Intern
Intern

reply [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 07:35
i got one perm comb problem, two median mode problems, and one permutation problem..all these problems were medium-easy...the hard problems i got were the algebra word problems...make sure you know that well, i think basic probabilty and perm comb is sufficient.
For Rc , i followed the Kaplan approach to the dot. It works reallly well. Identify the topic, scope and the gist of each paragraph, then identify the purpose, write all these down, and then start on the questions, it works!!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 08:22
karankaul, your post is great. How should we study for the standard deviation or statistics questions? I think everyone knows how to find averages, modes, & medians but it can't be that simple, can it? Most of the statistics-related questions I found in the OG were easy but I've read that some people have seen hard questions on this topic on recent GMAT exams.

I scored a 500 on Kaplan 1 & 510 on Kaplan (I didn't finish the math on either so that hurt a lot) & your post gives me hope that I can get in the 650-700 range.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 08:49
Karankaul:
Congrats for the wonderful score. It is amazing that you achieved this score without touching OG. How did you prepare for SC? Did you just studied kaplan/princeton , or did something extra for that. 41 in verbal is very good for a non native speaker. I would like to know your strategy in this section.
Also, how was your experience in maths section. Didnt U find some really tough questions in first 10 questions? How about coordinate geometry stuff?
Infact your kaplan scores have boosted me.. I scored 630 in first kaplan test.. I didnt find maths very hard in that..only found RC's and some cr's hard. Yes, scoring is very harsh.And am doing reasonably well in their section tests. For reference, how were you doing in individual section tests in kaplan cd?. For ex.. how many correct out of 22 in SC, 16 in CR.. 20 in DS and so on.
Thanks and good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 10:13
Wow, im jealous, congrats on your achievement!
Intern
Intern

try to answer all questions [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 22:00
Ritesh:
Accordig to my personal humble opinion, you dont really have to do much about statistics, probability or perm comb, just understand the basics and the medium to easy questions, if u get a realllly hard question from these topics in the GMAT< it means you are doing really well, so either way dont lose hope..just understand the basics and do some practice Qs
and dont worry about kaplan, frankly the kaplan tests have less to do with the GMAT than even the LSATS do. The scores on Kaplan tests should NEVER MATTER.

crackgmat:
I prepared for the SC, by studying the methods from the kaplan, PR books and then solved every single question i could get my hands on .,... I did not have OG cuz it was too expensive for me, but i did have Powerprep, so i did that. Im not really a non native speaker, a lot of indians are not because they have been learning english for 12 years in school.... But ill have to take the TOEFL anyway which is a joke because most people can ace that in their sleep.
I found the hardest math Qs were questions #10-#20...after than it just got ridiculously easy...
I dont remember my individual kaplan scores, but it semms you are doing well.....
Intern
Intern

bell curve [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 22:03
you know ... i also believe that studying for the gmat is like a bell curve...after some time u get to the point where you are top of ur game and scoring the maximum number of right questions...If u study past that, then ur scoring rate goes down.kinda like a bell curve... So be care ful and make sure you manage urself well... I went down the bell curve..so i gave myself couple days off and studied till i climbed back up again...

Hope this helps
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2004, 22:31
Congratulations for the 730. Great score..

Good luck on your essays and admissions. Do continue visiting and keep sharing your knowledge with new members.

Sincerely
Praetorian
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2004, 01:49
:wave

Congratulations !!!!

Good job.

I am specially happy because you didn't use the OG and you score not so high at Kaplan...me too ! ( conclusion -> I have also the right to dream about getting 700 ^_^) :cool

Anyway, great score and you should be also very happy because now you can burn your Kaplan and Princeton :-) I just hope I can do the same in 3 weeks... :twisted:
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2004, 23:06
Great attitude. :)

Franky
http://franky4gmat.blogspot.com

[#permalink] 01 Oct 2004, 23:06