Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took it twice..300 in Jan'06 and now 470 in Sep'06

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Took it twice..300 in Jan'06 and now 470 in Sep'06 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2006, 18:32
Hi guys. I need your advice and inspiration.

My scores breakup :-
Real GMAT Scores
300 (Q13 V16)
470 (Q37 V20)

I have surely screwed this thing twice and i am very depressed and low..
I took my first GMAT earlier this year and got a shocking 300. I must admit i was not at all prepared to take the test in Jan. So this time around i decided to take it after giving it everything ive got.My target score was 640+

So i started on 1st July. Scheduled the test for Sep 28. Although I had done OG 10 before my first attempt but i don't think it helped me much..

This time i bought the following books..

OG 11
Princeton Review 2007
Kaplan Premier Program 2007
NOVA GMAT Prep ( A book less known on this forum )

I came across GMAT club just around the same time and started visiting it regularly. I used to spend a good 1- 1.5 hrs here everyday reading posts here. Very inspirational. It helped me a lot. Whenever i felt depressed after screwing a practice session i used to come here and read some posts and get back. Sometimes it would happen that i screw 2-3 RC's in a row and completely blast my confidence. Then i would come here. Seek some advice and inspiration. Get back and do 2-3 RCs and get 7 out of 8 correct or maybe 8 on 8!!!! Yes.. it happened to me. Many times.
Overall i did OG 10 and OG 11 twice. All questions from Kaplan and Princeton. But i did not do Kaplan tests on CD or any practice questions..I had read that Kaplan tests were a waste and decided not to touch them as they could further demorolize me..

My practice test scores were as follows..

GMAT Prep 440 (second week August)
GMAT Prep 520 (first week september)
GMAT Prep 560 (same week)
GMAT Prep 620 (last week)

I took only GMAT Prep tests cos i think it is the closest thing when it comes to estimating your true prepration.

I studied very hard this time i think but surely not hard enough.

My test day was good. I was feeling confident. I had a good 7 hour sleep.
AWA was fine. Then came quant. First question Sequence and series! Boom. No idea. It was one of my weakest areas. Took a educated guess and moved on. Second question fractions. Got it right through computation.. then it continued like this through out the test. I was really scared that i was messing it up. I clicked away some questions towards the end cos i was short of time but i did last 5-6 questions slowly and carefully.

Took the break. Thought about what has happened. Then thought no use cursing myself. forgot about it and told myself i ll kick butt on verbal.
First 3-4 questoins Sentence correction(My weakest area in verbal). but they were easy and got them.. i think i did. Then came Critical Reasoning (My stongest area). Fisrt question Boldface, quite difficult, not sure what happened. First RC was quite manageble. When i was on question 15 i realised i was running short of time. only 40 min left.. started hurrying through the questions. I constantly began losing the game from there on i think. Towards the end my mind started to divert. Concentrating became difficult as thought of Quant came to my mind. When i reached question 37 i had 8 min to go.. then slowed my self and tried to get the last few questions right...

Then the back ground questions.. utter crap.. Then the million dollar question.. Do you wanna view your scores? clicked yes.. took bout 10 seconds. Flashed 470!! I was shocked. 3 months of hard work down the drain...

Now i am not sure what to do.. Its my dream to get an MBA from a good B-school. My GPA just under 3.0 . I need your help guys. what should i do?

Last edited by kurt22 on 20 Jan 2007, 12:35, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2006, 19:26
Well, I look at it and see a 170 point improvement. Obviously 470 was not what you were hoping for but it is a significant improvement. I noticed a few things from your post that seem to show that additional work could result in an even better score next time. First, when you describe your Q section, you said you got a question type that you knew you were weak at. Well, you need to learn how to deal with it for next time; you cannot know you are weak with a question type and just hope you don't get asked, or hope to guess the right answer. The good thing is that you recognized your weakness, and you have the resources here at the GMATclub to learn and improve. Now, you must identify as many trouble areas as possible, and instead of hoping that they don't kill you, figure out how to do them so you can get them right next time.

From your report it seems like you had 2 major problems with the V section. The first is that you were short on time. The second was that you were losing concentration. You must figure out a way to deal with the time issue. Whether that is timing yourself on every question you practice, or practicing your reading skills so you get faster, you must figure it out because running out of time guarantees poor performance. Regarding losing concentrating, I think many people face the same issue. You get towards the end, it's been a long test, you want to see your score and get it over with, etc., and you just think about too many things other than the test. I would suggest practicing in 4 hour increments if you can, instead of the 1-1.5 hours that your reported, especially as you get closer to the exam date. You need to build endurance, and you need to prepare yourself ahead of time to focus and re-focus during the exam.

The GMATprep is a good tool, and you should continue to use it. The reality is that your 2 most recent attempts were 560 & 620, so hoping for 640+ on test day was optimistic. But there is no reason why you cannot continue to practice and improve. I believe the key for you may not not just to identify where you are weak, but to actually go and train yourself in those areas so you can deal with them on the test. One more 170 point improvement and you will be at 640, but it's going to be a lot of hard work to reach that point.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2006, 22:58
Thank you such much for your suggestions Pelihu...
I think you have directly focussed on my weakness and at the same time helped me identify it correctly. When i was preparing for the test this time around i had my targets set first. My target was 42+ in Quant and 30+ in verbal. I must admit that Maths has never been my cup of tea. But for GMAT i did it from basic. I started basic concepts and got comfortable with them. Then i moved on to GMAT Prep.. I was consistently scoring 44-45+ in GMAT Prep at home. On the real test, i consistently felt it was tougher. I was actually surprised to see that i have managed a 37 in Quant... i seriously didnt expect that during the test. I got 3-5 questions that were straight out of GMAT Prep! Only different values.

Now as per verbal I felt Critical Reasoning was quite tricky.. like which of the following would be a favourable decision for the Charity EXCEPT... this is an example.. what i wanna say is that it really demanded re-reading, the question itself. Please tell me how to approch the Verbal Section. My target for the next attempt will still be the same i think.i.e. 640-650.

Which books should i use to do questions that reflect the GMAT Verbal standard? Sentence correction was manageble but RC was very tricky...

How much time should i give myself for the next shot? I feel i should give it in 2 months. Streching it beyond that would only make it worse i think as it'll be my third attempt.. :cry:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 06:56
Guys Come on!!

I need some more advice from you people!!!!!!

Please please give me your suggestions for christ sake! :oops:

My post has been lyin here for like 10 days now...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 09:16
Kurt,
Here is my 2cents... take a lot of tests... make sure that you can stay focussed for the 4 hours including AWA. Looks like your GMATPrep scores were on track, but during the test you seem to have lost focus.
One way to get over that would be to take a lot of tests... don't worry too much the level of difficulty of each test... if the scores are in the expected range, then that good. Don't worry about the absolute number in each of the tests...
I would suggest taking atleast 12-15 tests before your next GMAT. That way taking the test becomes second nature and the focus will be more on the problems than the 4 hours that you need to sit there.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 09:21
Hi kurt22,

I think that pelihu made already a very good resume. :)

I would like to complete its post by theses recommandations:
> Use an errorlog : u will find all information in some sticky posts. It wil definitely help u identify your weak areas and then build a strategy
> Complete your set of books with Manhattan GMAT SC : it helps a lot of people, including me, to inscrease the V score.
> Practice with a complete correction of all your mistakes. Never let a single question without a concrete explanation and the concepts hidden in it understood.

Have a look of this post from Futuristic : http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=244281

Good Luck ! :)

Last edited by Fig on 08 Oct 2006, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Olin Business School - Washington University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 10:49
I would venture to guess that you didn't go through the OG 10 and 11 and fully understand each question. That will be very helpful.

Also, Pelihu gave you some good advice...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 10:09
Thank you guys so much for ur reply.. I definately liked Pelihu's suggestions.. I just wanted some more inspiration actually to start with the prep again.I am on break since 28th Sep ( my test day). Now i plan to start head on wit prep from tuesday onwards.

I m plannin to take it in first week December. I m really gonna start well this time. Earlier i had to start from 300 to reach my target score.. now i have to start from 470!!! right guys!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 11:10
Kurt22,
You will do better next time. Solve SC-1000,RC-1000, and CR-1000 for the varbal. Try to solve all of them and take as many pracitce test as you can. It will help you prepare for the GMAT exam.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 11:24
I also forgot to tell you one thing that you should take more time for the GMAT test. You should prepare yourself at least three months.However, you will know better where you stands. Good luck.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 10:39
what you need to do is work on verbal as hard as you can. I did that in the summer with GMATClub and saw my verbal score go from 24 to 35+. With your quant at 37 and verbal at 35 you can get your 640.

several things. work on SC -> easiest to improve in verbal. not only you should go through the verbal forum, but also post your answers EXPLAINING each and every choice. If you see my earlier posts on verbal forum, they are full of mistakes, but you know how much I learned??? Yes, takes time to answer those with the thought rather than pick a letter for the answer, but it is worth it!!! I can guarantee the difference.

CR -> here I became good with certain questions but still struggle with others (inference is one of them) Go through OG and read every explanation in the book, you learn from it

RC -> same thing here... read the passages, read the explanations and be able to reason every single answer on why it is correct/wrong... and I MEAN EVERY SINGLE ABCDE answer!!! Tedious? Yes... Will you see the result? Absolutely.

Finally, I think GMAX has a very good SC instructions if you want to engage in virtual learning. I really learned a lot from their SC. I can't really say the same for RC and CR as those are the subjects that are learned from practice IMHO. For RC, I followed Shahnandan's strategy, because I can't skim and skip around... but you must find the best approach for yourself!!!

Good luck,
u2lovergirl

Last edited by u2lover on 09 Nov 2006, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 10:44
something else:

SLEEP WITH YOUR MGMAT SC Book (I don't see it in the list of your books)... LITERALLY!!! I swear this book is great... GMAX SC is excellent too, but MGMAT SC is a condensed version of it!!!

NOVA is fine, I have it too, but somehow I don't use it all that much... did you take the tests that come with it? Are they any good?

Finally, don't stress yourself and don't be depressed... with enough will, you will get your score!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 04:33
QUANTITATIVE GODS here on GMAT Club...
This one's for you...

Guys, Math has been a nightmare for me ever since the fourth grade. Thats the reason why i had to drop it of my syllabus after 9-10th grade...
Well as you guys know I improved my Quant score from 13 to 37 in my second shot.. I want to push it upto 45+ this time around.

Please suggest me topics that i absolutely must master this time around so that i don't screw it up. :cry:

I am planning to take it up in December fourth week. Its nothin like i have any constrains but I dont wanna carry this thing on my back in 2007.... So i guess 45 days is what i am plannig to invest...

Thankyou u2lover girl for your Verbal strategies... I am lookin forward to implement them in my study plan.

Kurt :-D
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 04:38
u2lover wrote:
something else:

Finally, don't stress yourself and don't be depressed... with enough will, you will get your score!

I commited this exact mistake last time. I slept at 11.30 pm and because of pressure of the exam i woke up at 3.00 AM everyday for the entire month of september......!!!!! It was like i slept only 3-4 hours in 24hrs and study for 15-16 hours everyday.. Now you'll ask me what the hell did i do? I did almost 300 questions everyday... sounds stupid? Well, it was stress that made me do that...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 06:49
SO NO PEOPLE HERE TO HELP ME WITH QUANT PLEASE?? :oops:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 08:53
kurt22 wrote:
SO NO PEOPLE HERE TO HELP ME WITH QUANT PLEASE?? :oops:

There's no magical wand to wave and we're not all going to post stuff that is readily available through a search. Read all the sticky's, there's more than enough information there. Make sure to spend two minutes on the explanation for every minute you spend on a question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2006, 09:15
Hello

For what I can see, you are focusing on "quantity" and not quality.
In my opinion, 300 questions per day is just too much and does not add value. I am talking from my own experience. Although it helped me a little, I have to say it was not the smartest thing to do. My score got stuck after a while. I changed my approach. I decided to give each question 5 minutes for review. In those 5 minutes, I would analyze the question. Make sure I understood what it was asking? and what it was NOT asking? (so I will not fall for traps). I will find different ways to solve problems, always looking for the fastest way. If I had time left, I will look at some of the answer choices and try to arrive their solution. In that way, I learned to indendtify some of the common traps from the test makers.

Good luck.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2006, 06:07
kurt22 wrote:
u2lover wrote:
something else:

I commited this exact mistake last time. I slept at 11.30 pm and because of pressure of the exam i woke up at 3.00 AM everyday for the entire month of september......!!!!! It was like i slept only 3-4 hours in 24hrs and study for 15-16 hours everyday.. Now you'll ask me what the hell did i do? I did almost 300 questions everyday... sounds stupid? Well, it was stress that made me do that...

Kurt, are you keeping an error log? If not, do so and you will soon notice the same types of problems that are tripping you up; properties of sets, number properties, geometry... I actually categorized my error logs and printed them out every weekend for a second trial. The problems that I couldn't solve went back into the file, for a third and subsequent attempt. It is imperative that you do this to climb over that Q40 wall.

Good luck on your third attempt! IMHO, somebody moving from a 300 to 470 and then a 600+ is far more impressive than someone just getting a 700 on their first attempt.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2006, 09:49
so i am studying quitely these days.. thinking what happened to my test last time and what i want from it this time... But I have kinda ran out of material i think.. i had done OG 10 and 11 twice maybe thrice last time and now as i do it i feel i already know the answer...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2006, 09:33
Hi guys.. Please suggest me some good books.
I have OG 10 , 11.
PR 2007
Kaplan Premier Program 2007.
NOVA GMAT Prep.

I am planning to buy MGMAT books now. Please suggest the best ones..

MGMAT SC is already on my list.
  [#permalink] 14 Dec 2006, 09:33