Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took it yesterday - Did really bad....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Took it yesterday - Did really bad.... [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2004, 09:29
How bad you ask? I am embarrased just thinking or writing it here - a whopping 460!!!!!! (Q - 25, V - 28) I could NOT believe my eyes when I saw the score, I was frozen for 5 minutes. I thought I could at least get a 600. And worst of all, I did NOT cancel the score. I couldn't even sleep or think yesterday cuz I was so depressed. Then I found this FORUM!! :-D

Here are couple things that I did wrong:

1) Qua - I did not pace myself at all. I never took a practice test before the test (yeah I know, what was I thinking?) I spent too much time early on (Q4-10) on killer questions. As a result, I kinda of panicked because I knew I spent too much time, as I panicked, I could not think clearly. I think I had to guess about 10 questions towards the end; and worst of all, I did not get to the last 2 questions!! After going through the OG after I got home, I noticed that there were two questions that appeared on the OG that appeared on the test!!! And no, I don't think I got them right. :( :(

2) Verbal - I thought I did OK. There were no HARD questions. And I usually were able to use POE to eliminate alot of answers. The RC weren't as long as I thought it would be. I finished this section just in time.

Here is what I have done before the test:

1) I took PR classes roughly two years ago when I just graudated from college.

2) I started studying around 3 months ago while still working. I first went through and re-did all the problemes for the PR Manual. Then I did and did all the problems in the OG (Finished the Quant, DS, SC, CR) and went through the answers in the back.

3) I memorized all the idioms and the rules of divisibility, etc.

4) Never taking a single CAT practice test hurt me bad.

I noticed that I was stuck on the questions that bothered me on the practice sets in the real test yesterday. So I need to work on those.

Plan:

I'm going to buy the 800score.com practice test, and I'm going to get a Kaplan book. Then I'm going to go through the math section again in the OG.

I need to get at least 680, which I thought was improbable before joining this forum. But this forum has given me some hopes!!! ALl these amazing stories are just really inspiring..

Any suggestions or tips would be helpful!

Thanks for reading!! :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2004, 09:46
Hi TeHCM, I'm sorry to hear that. In your study plan, you should really try to study this in a methodical way. Do not just go over a question you had right or bad, check the answer and then move on. You should be able to eliminate all other answers and explain why they are wrong. This is the only way you will improve. Practise with the large question banks in this forum and join the discussions. You will learn much from what members have to offer and do not be afraid to post wrong answers; nobody has them right all the time otherwise we would not be here :wink: Welcome to Gmatclub.

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2004, 09:48
Thank you CEO! :lol: Thanks for your tip, I will definitely keep that in mind. I can't believe i didn't find this forum sooner!!

I will definitely have to get my butt into gear, draw up a battle plan. :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2004, 09:56
Also, remember that about half of GMAT takers score less than 500. Yet, you hear more often about those having 700+. This is because those scoring in the 500 or less do not post their experience. I think many still have to learn from your experience or find what there is that they can do better to improve themselves.

Also, do not be intimidated by stories where some people said that they studied 1 week for the GMAT and scored 750. This perhaps happen to less than 1% of the population and is not at all representative of all of us, GMAT aspirants. The GMAT is a long battle that you CAN win if you put in the effort required. Good luck again!

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 06 Jun 2004, 09:56