Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took my first practice test - looking for advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Took my first practice test - looking for advice [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 11:44
So I took my first cold practice test and got a 35Q - 41V - 640 and I'm looking to really improve on that. I'm hoping for admission to a top school in the midwest so obviously Kellogg/Booth/Ross are at the top of my list with a strong preference for Kellogg. With a score like that and an obvious need to get that quant score up, what do people recommend for study prep? I was told before that just going through ManhattenGmat's self prep should be enough but i'm looking for anymore insight. Thanks in advance.

Also, is it possible or likely that I'll be able to hit that 730+ mark?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 274

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Took my first practice test - looking for advice [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 12:06
Hi vikings1208,

640 is a decent score. You're right that you have to mainly focus on Quant, or, at least, start with it. I would definitely recommend MGMAT Quant and Quant questions from OG12 and OG Quant (maybe only the last 40-50 questions of each category, but if you have time - do all). And then, when you have increased your Quant you can move on the MGMAT Advanced Math, GMATClub Tests and Jeff Sackman's Math questions, as this three resources will give you the edge ;)

Do not hesitate to ask further questions ;)

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Took my first practice test - looking for advice [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 13:57
Expert's post
As far as study materials go, the MGMAT products are great for the self-learner. Nonetheless, you should be sure to supplement your prep with Official Guide material and the Official CAT tests as well.

Even then, simply going through thousands of questions doesn’t mean you will see a commensurate increase in score. Understanding the areas where you struggle and identifying any patterns to your mistakes is key. Put another way, when you miss a question, understand why you missed that question and makw sure not to fall for the same trap again. Of course, whenever there is a tough concept the forums should be to answer your question.

Finally, you will want to make sure that you are making steady progress. Make sure to take practice tests at least every ten days or so (MGMAT CATS as well as the Official CAT mentioned before). And remember that every error you make is an opportunity for improvement.

Good luck, and let me know if you have other questions.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Took my first practice test - looking for advice   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2011, 13:57