Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 13:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

took test today 660 48Q 32V

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

took test today 660 48Q 32V [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 18:01
I took the real GMATS today after 2.5 months of studying. For me, this was an overacheivement since I quit my job in August and was just concentrating on this for the past couple months. Considering I am a relatively stupid test taker (2.9 undergrad GPA), I was hoping for 600-620, but I'll gladly take today's 660 (about 85% percentile).

Could have/Should have/Would have time managed better on the AWA...
I went off on a tangent trying to elaborate on a couple examples, which killed the clock. Also I typed an outline of what the argument essay question asked on the bottom of the essay in notes style, and left it there, forgetting to delete :shock: :lol: .... It'll be interesting to see how they grade my AWA. I did type about 4 paragraphs worth of essays for each, but the part where I went a little too in depth on 1 or 2 examples, but failed to fully complete a conclusion paragraph and or proofread makes me nervous about the 3 week wait to get the AWA score.

As for the GMAT itself...
They put some really easy experimental questions in the middle of Math. There were about 2-3 questions that seemed so easy that I figured them out in less than 3 seconds. During the test I kind of panicked, thinking that there must be some tricks that I'm missing? The math questions that confounded me were the ones with variables and exponents combined and the ones asking for positive/negatives with variables.

There were some Math problems in which knowing the Venn Diagram and
the (A + B) + Neither - Both =Total really helped.

If you can learn to approximate, that helps save time...

Some fractions, percentages, and a 2 step probability problem.

The verbal presented some very lengthy and (hard to understand) reading comps. Some critical reasonings were really tough because of the length and difficult vocabulary they used. I think I took educated guesses on a few of those.

My suggestion for test takers:
1. Be ready to start typing when you start the AWA
2. Be prepared to hear alot of keyboard typing noises during the AWA
as other GMAT test takers are also frantically typing their AWAs
3. Take it one problem at a time
4. BE MINDFUL OF THE CLOCK
5. Expect the unexpected, there can be extremely easy problems popping
up in the middle, but don't panic, double check and move on the next
problem
6. On tough data sufficiencys, ABD are your best guesses according to
Veritas' "project GMAT" book
7. On lengthy sentence corrections, break down answer choices, what's
different about them, isolate the sentence: subject/verb/tense/etc
8. Practice learning the basics, and what kinds of short cuts work for you

Study materials:
OG 11th Edition
Princeton Review Cracking
Kaplan Premium Program book w/4 CATs CD
Veritas project GMAT book
Sentence Correction Bible
Critical Reasoning Bible
---------------------------
In retrospect, I should have also bought the OG Math and Verbal supplemental practice books as well retaken the GMATPrep CATs some more. Like most others on this site, I would agree that the OG and GMATPrep questions most resemble what you'll see on the actual GMAT.

Practices Tests
Princeton Review

GMAT Prep

Kaplan
340 (I gave up after the math section presented too many long questions)
610 (paper test)

So off to the application process, and looking forward to campus visit trips
All along I wanted to apply to avg 570-630 GMAT schools (Miami, Fordham, Pepperdine), the plan is still the same, but hopefully ALSO get some grant money now!

God Bless, Good Luck, and remember the best answer choice is ofthen the one that stinks the least (POE)...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 18:41
good score,
good luck
I am hoping for the same result but i have not quit my job for gmat. :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 18:54
Well, I would definitely not recommend quitting your job because of the GMATs...

My quitting was due to a Merger & acquisition, proposed paycuts, feeling insulted, and not willing to accept paycuts/"new opportunity".

Oh well, no regrets!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 21:25
Congratulations! very good debrief.

All tips are good -

could u give me some example for -
(A + B) + Neither - Both =Total

means what exactly?

thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 11:31
Congrats on your score!, You did great!

By the way, do you, or any of you guys recommend taking the preparation course, such as kaplan or manhattan gmat?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 20:36
I paid $1250 for Princeton Review classroom course. I would say the most beneficial part of the tuition was the online course they provide, very organized and by progression. They categorize easy, intermediate, and advanced level problems. I think PR offers just the online course for about $600... If I would do it over again, I would pay $600 for just the online prep, and not go to the classroom course.

For me, starting off learning and mastering easy problems and working your way up definitely worked.

Example of the mixed-grouping category problem:
Of the p songs played between 1 and 9:30 AM today on a certain radio station, 10 were acoustic, 6 were new releases and 5 were both acoustic and new releases. If 4 of the songs played were neither acoustic nor new releases, what is the value of p?

(Total of songs)= (Acoustic songs)+(new release songs)-(both acoustic and new release songs)+( 4 of the songs played were neither acoustic nor new releases)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 22:29
Of the p songs played between 1 and 9:30 AM today on a certain radio station, 10 were acoustic, 6 were new releases and 5 were both acoustic and new releases. If 4 of the songs played were neither acoustic nor new releases, what is the value of p?

(Total of songs)= (Acoustic songs)+(new release songs)-(both acoustic and new release songs)+( 4 of the songs played were neither acoustic nor new releases)[/quote]

Thanks for the example.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 22:38
leftysidewinder wrote:
I paid $1250 for Princeton Review classroom course. I would say the most beneficial part of the tuition was the online course they provide, very organized and by progression. They categorize easy, intermediate, and advanced level problems. I think PR offers just the online course for about $600... If I would do it over again, I would pay $600 for just the online prep, and not go to the classroom course.

For me, starting off learning and mastering easy problems and working your way up definitely worked.

(Total of songs)= (Acoustic songs)+(new release songs)-(both acoustic and new release songs)+( 4 of the songs played were neither acoustic nor new releases)

p=15. using a double set matrix.

Btw great score man. wheres ur #1 choice? u listed a few.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 15:45
#1 choice is Miami (FL)... they have early decision, so hopefully i get the stuff submitted on time, and get accepeted without needing to send further apps
  [#permalink] 05 Nov 2007, 15:45