Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took the GMAT for the fist time yesterday and...........

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Took the GMAT for the fist time yesterday and........... [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2007, 15:26
I have been browsing this site for the past couple of days (I wish I would have found it sooner) and wanted to get some opinions on my situation. I graduated from college in December of 05 and am currently unhappy with my work situation. I had high hopes that a bachelors degree would get me money and a good job right away but I was very wrong. I work for a major bank and have been there for 1 year so there certainly are many opportunities; just not for someone with merely a bachelors degree. I decided that pursuing an MBA would be best and give me the edge that I need. I have been studying for the GMAT for the last 3 months or so and finally took it yesterday. THe 3 months of studying was on and off and I definitely think I could have done more but I only ended up taking 3 full length practice exams. First one I took before I did any studying and I got a 530 (powerprep). Took another after about 1 month and received a 580 (powerprep again). The third one I took about a week before the big day and I received a 580 (princeton review) again. I found the offical gmat review book the most helpful but also used the princeton review and kaplan books.

Finally, at 9am yesterday, I start my exam. AWA goes very well (the issue I was given was fairly straightforward and the argument was pretty blatant in its assumptions). The quant I knew I struggled in but I maintained my composure and was very confident throughout verbal. I click submit and my scores come back: 39 quant and 38 verbal for a 630 score. My original goal was for a 600 so I was very pleased with this score.

Here is where I need some advice. The B-School I am looking at has an average GMAT score of 575 for last years entering class. My GPA was not great in undergrad (2.7) and I only have 1 year of work experience. Will this better than average GMAT score be enough for me? Should I study hard on the quant and take it again? Should I put my B-School plan on hold for a year or 2 to gain more work experience?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2007, 15:39
if you targeted at 600 and got 630 why retake?
be happy with your achievement and prepare the other parts of your application....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 05:52
Hard to say, I think it really depends on the selectivity of the school. Sounds like your GMAT is much higher than their average, so they probably won't be concerned about your intellectual potential, but they may be concerned about your motivation and drive, so you should address this in your essays, explain in your essays how you are someone who can commit to things and work hard etc...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 07:08
I just received my offical report...........AWA came back as a 5.0.........the question is does this even matter? lol
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 09:13
gtpat25 wrote:
I just received my offical report...........AWA came back as a 5.0.........the question is does this even matter? lol

AWA does not matter all that much unless they are concerned with your English abilities. As for your Ugrad gpa, I have a very similar GPA, it should not matter as I have been admitted with scholarship to Vanderbilt and invited to interview at Cornell. I would suggest, unless you are completely set on the school you are applying to, applying to a few stretch schools. Who knows you might be surprised? Good luck with everything!
  [#permalink] 28 Feb 2007, 09:13