Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took the GMAT today - 660 (Q47, V35)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Took the GMAT today - 660 (Q47, V35) [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 14:51
Let me first say that this is not my first attempt at the GMAT. I first took a crack at it back in 2005 when I was applying to a Masters program in Accounting. Took the test three times prior to applying and got scores of 550, 570, and 580. I was fortunate in that I managed to get into my top choice with a 580. I thought I would never have to deal with the GMAT again but come five years later I decide that I want to make a career switch.

Materials:
I took the Manhattan GMAT 9 week in person course. Compared to the materials I used in my previous attempt, I have to say Manhattan GMAT's materials were clearly superior. Unfortunately I took the in person course at a very busy time in my work schedule. After the course ended I probably studied on and off for about 5 months. Found it hard to maintain a consistent study schedule due to traveling for work and other things going on. I finally decided after my busy period time at work was over that I had to give the GMAT the attention it needed if I wanted to improve in comparison to my last performance. So I ended up using alot of vacation days and tried taking on a lighter workload when possible so that I could spend the time going thru the strategy guides and homework problems.

Practice Exams:

MGMAT CAT #1 580 (Q40, V 31) - Took this during the middle of my 9 week course
MGMAT CAT #2 570 (Q34, V 34) - Took this after I finally finished going thru all the strategy guides and homework. Not pleased.
MGMAT CAT #3 590 (Q39, V 33) - Took one week before my exam.
GMAT Prep #1 600 (Q40, V 32) - Took 2 days before actual exam.

Actual Test: 660 (V47, Q35) - Pleasantly surprised as I had expected to get somewhere in high 500s to lows 600s based on my practice tests. I was aiming for at least a 680, but I am personally satisifed that I had improved.

At this point I am contemplating a retake after I do a Post-Assessment Analysis with a Manhattan GMAT instructor. My score is on the lower end of the 80% range at the schools I am looking at. I am also thinking that even if I were to get into one of my targets I would limit my employment opportunities with a 660.

Takeaways:

- Like many have said unless you are one of those few people I know who can get a 700 with minimal studying it is going to take alot of hard work.
- Need to have a consistent study schedule and stick to it as much as you can. For me it was a challenge as I was traveling out of town regularly for work in this time frame and had regular on going community service activities.
- Don't underestimate the importance of timing. I think this is what bumped my Quant score up on the actual test as I had done very poorly on my pacing on my practice tests in the Quant section. I would find myself having to rush towards the end to finish answering the questions. As I'm sure many know answering several questions incorrectly in a row hurts your score more than if you had wrong questions spread out on the test.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Took the GMAT today - 660 (Q47, V35) [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 18:27
I took my GMAT last Dec and scored 650.
You are absolutely right about the three points and I am posting the same just to stress it :)
1. DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE GMAT or it will kick your butt!
2. HAVE A PLAN and STICK TO IT
3. THE STOPWATCH and THE ERROR LOG are your BEST FRIENDS - Learn to pace yourself and analyze the prep tests!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Re: Took the GMAT today - 660 (Q47, V35)   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2011, 18:27