Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took the GMAT yesterday

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Took the GMAT yesterday [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2004, 14:47
Hello,

First off, I'd like to say that this site is AMAZING. All the posts and tips are really great. The organizers of the site and all the contributors deserve much credit.

I thought I'd relate my first experience GMAT to everyone. I got a 670 (Q 46, V 36). I was a little dissapointed, but seeing as how I felt after taking the exam, I was actually a little relieved.

I got to the test site 1 hour early. Much to my surprise, my test started within 5-10 minutes from when I arrived. The test conditions were not that good. The room was very dim and the temperature was at least 80 degrees. I'd advise people to check out the test center if at all possible prior to taking the exam.

AWA was pretty standard. They were very much like PP1 and PP2 prompts.

Quant was harder than expected. Early on, I got a probability question and towards the end I got a standard deviation question. My big problem was timing. Although I did not have a problem with this on practice tests, timing was a major problem for me on real thing. I'd advise people to formulate a timing game plan that works for you and stick to it. I was really stubborn with difficult problems and just couldn't let them go. The result was that I had 14 questions left with 10 minutes remaining :shock:
Needless to say, I was pretty shaken up after that section.

Verbal was okay. Reading passages were not too bad luckily (betwen 55-65 lines). Again, I timed it poorly and rushed a bit at the end.

A couple of times, I was about to call it quits on the exam. But, I remember reading somewhere that post test impressions can be pretty misleading so I didn't cancel.

I'm planning to take the exam again in May. Hopefully I'll improve a bit. Ideally, I'd like to attend a top 15 or 20 school. I'll probably focus on SC, CR, and Probability.

Also here are my practice test results: PR 640-680, Kaplan 580-590, PP 640-690. Paper test questions seem to be easier than those found on the CAT.

For those of you who have yet to take the exam, based on the quality of the posts in the discussion group, I think you all will do just fine! Good Luck to you all! I hope my post was useful.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2004, 15:09
jo1to6,

For a first attempt you score is FANTASTIC!!!. In fact, if it had been you tenth attempt it would have been a great score.
Don't fell down at all, 670 is a damn good score. I'm pretty sure that you will march into the 700's in your next attempt.

To apply to schools, your score is acceptable in my opinion, provided other aspects of your application are solid.

Again, Congrats, and keep it at...you'll get the score your looking for.

Pls include reasoning along with all answer posts.
****GMAT Loco****
Este examen me conduce jodiendo loco

Manager
Manager

Forgot to mention about my preparation... [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2004, 21:50
sunniboy007,

Thanks for the encouragement!

I forgot to mention that in order to prepare for exam, I read through the following books (I also included my personal impressions of the books):

Official Guide - Useful for getting a handle on the question types
The questions on the actual test seem to be a bit harder,
but that may be because it's the real thing... and not
practice.
Princeton Review GMAT + CD - Useful for test taking strategies
Kaplan GMAT + CD - Useful to crush your ego so that you study harder
Kaplan Math Workbook - Good math practice, no advanced stuff though
Kaplan Verbal Workbook - Decent verbal practice, has a limited
grammar guide in the back. I found that
Kaplan reading passages were much more
complicated than PP/OG passages.
ETS Power Prep - Useful for getting a handle on the real exam feel
ETS Paper Test (#55, the only paper test that had some questions not in the OG) - Not too useful most paper tests in this group have the exact same questions as the OG.

I studied up to the very last day, which might not have been such a good idea... It may have been better for me to take the night off just prior to the exam.

The morning of the exam, I re-did parts of Power Prep to get in the right frame of mind.

Unfortunately, I found this site late into my studies so I couldn't really participate or use it all that effectively... I think the questions posted on this site were pretty representative of the questions I got on my exam in terms of difficulty. I'm not sure where people find those questions but they really are quite useful...

I'm going to give GMAT800 a go and see how well I do... I'll participate in and use this site of course!
Eternal Intern
Followers: 0

hi [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2004, 09:11
Just a suggestion you may want to do some LSAT material, to get better at reading comprehension and Critical Reasoning, those can be learned real well through practice, the SC is hard cuz there's so many rules, you just gotta see so many of those and understand the pattern.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2004, 09:17
670 for a first attempt is awesome. You will certainly reach your desired goal by next time. Wish you all the best!

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 29 Mar 2004, 09:17