Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took the GMAT yesterday; looking for advice/guidance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Took the GMAT yesterday; looking for advice/guidance [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 07:20
Hello,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my post. As the title states, I took my GMAT yesterday and am looking for some advice and/or guidance. While I know a decent amount about the general BBA/MBA environment, I really don't know very much about MBA admission requirements/competitiveness. I am mainly hoping to A) get an idea of what my chances are at top schools, and B) get some ideas on how I can improve my application prospects over the next 2-4 years. So without further ado, here are my stats:

- 3.92 GPA out of Top 5 US undergrad business program
- Various club/activity and some fundraising/charity involvement in college (also won 2 different case competitions)
- 770 GMAT (45V, 50Q)
- Internship Experience: Internship in management consulting and real estate
- FT Experience: Recently started at a well-respected boutique management/strategy consulting firm.
- Male, Non-Minority
- NOTE: not planning on applying until I have at least 2-3 years of FT work experience

So there ya go. I know that I have some solid stats, but the sense I get is that Stanford/Harvard/Penn/MIT require that your extra-curriculars really stand out, and I really don't see anything particularly unique about my background. So where do I stand? What do I need to do to get into one of the elite programs?

I've heard community involvement is highly favored, would it be a good idea for me to try and get staffed on 1-2 non-profit cases? Or would it be better to do that stuff on my own time? I'm somewhat concerned about how much time I'll have outside of work to explore different activities (I've been working 60-80 hour weeks).

Is there anything else I can do to improve my app? I'm open to suggestions, and am basically looking for the best places to invest my time and energy.

I'd really appreciate any help and advice! Thanks for reading!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Took the GMAT yesterday; looking for advice/guidance [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 10:03
Expert's post
You point out several good points and the good news is, you have the core profile for a top tier school. B-school is way more than 80 hours a week, so they will not look favorably on that kind of work schedule as a reason for not being involved. One thing you might consider is initiating some community involvement efforts through your firm, with them granting time "off" to lead a group in an area of your community. Goldman Sachs does this (Community Teamworks Program) and leading the charge would make a good impression. Also, you should think about ways you have been involved in the past and resurrect that passion, which will look like continuity (example, "I have been working with the elderly since high school" etc. ) even if there are gaps in doing something, you will look more committed if you have some threads in your involvement. You should also look to get on a board or two--community theatre, public service or politics (run for city commisioner where you live), church groups, etc. can all be good sources for getting engaged. Also make sure you seek challenges at work and try to get some international experience if you can. Even if this is just recreational travel, the top schools want to see that you have built a perspective beyond the local bubble that most Americans are in. Hope this helps!

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews