Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Took the test yesterday.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Took the test yesterday. [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2003, 17:12
Hi guys,
Took the GMAT yesterday. I got a 670.
Quant - 49 & Verbal - 31.
Was disappointed with my verbal score, coz I was always doing way better in all practise tests.
Powerprep - I got a 650 on both tests but a more balanced Quant/Verbal score on them.

Quant:
Was fairly decent, 5th question was a probability and got P&C and Prob sums as part of DS and PS. 2 Sums on Std Deviation, testing the basic concept. Lot of word problems and some questions were written in a very twisted manner, had to read them twice to figure out what was being asked. Got a question on modulus and one on functions.
In practise tests Id have atleast 10 mins to spare, on the real thing, I couldnt answer the last question.(It seems like time flies on Test Day much much faster!!!) My opinion:The whole section was way easier than Kaplan, more like a healthy mix of OG and PR.

Verbal:
First question was a SC, and then an RC. I had 4 RC's in all with 3 -4 questions in each. Most of the SCs were very long - the entire part was underlined often - and Id often be in doubt b/w two choices. CR too was very lengthy. 2 Bold Face. I was drained by the time I reached the 30th question as I started thinking that the section was going badly plus the clock was steadily ticking away. I finished the section with a minute to spare. I guess not expecting the 4th RC made me miscalculate my time and on a few questions I did rush along. Dont expect anything on the GMAT!!
I always considered Verbal as my strength and Maths as something at which I was very average. Guess I did the other way around!!! In hindsight, I think that I may have worked less on the Verbal when compared to Math as I thought I was fairly good at Verbal.

Im planning to take the GRE too in a months time. (The course I want to pursue requires a GRE or GMAT depending on the Univ.) I have a big question now - if anyone has done both the GRE and GMAT - pls let me know - how is GRE verbal comparable to GMAT verbal?

Id like to thank all of you out here...I owe a good part of of my scores to some of the amazing questions posted here. Stolyar for the numerous sums posted, Akami for asking us to depend a little less on formulae, thank you!!!

Last edited by mistdew on 21 Aug 2003, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

gre-gmat verbal [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2003, 17:33
With regard to the GRE Verbal vs. GMAT verbal, the major distinction is the Vocab. section. an excellent book to refer to is wordsmart, by the princeton review. it covers not only many gre words, but also strategies to memorize meanings that are invaluable.
Question for you - can you (without repeating the question) give me a sense of the type of standard deviation questions you had on the GMAT? Thanks.
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: gre-gmat verbal [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2003, 20:12
bholavi wrote:
With regard to the GRE Verbal vs. GMAT verbal, the major distinction is the Vocab. section. an excellent book to refer to is wordsmart, by the princeton review. it covers not only many gre words, but also strategies to memorize meanings that are invaluable.
Question for you - can you (without repeating the question) give me a sense of the type of standard deviation questions you had on the GMAT? Thanks.

The GMAT will never ask you to calculate a standard deviation, but will test your understanding that the Standard Deviation is a measure of "variation from the mean", i.e., how diffiferent are all of the values from the average of all of the values?

Most of the time (esp in a small sample of numbers) the set with the largest range (spread of numbers) will have the largest standard deviation. (i.e., the most spread out).

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2003, 21:00
Yes, Akamai, you are right. I did not have to calculate the Std Deviation. One of the questions was a DS one on Std Devn. A range of nos. was given in the stem. I only had to decide if with the two statements given I could calculate the Std Devn.
Sorry, but I dont remember the other DS question. But the basic purpose of both the questions that was tested was: Do I know what SD means and what is its relation to the mean in the given context?
Hope this Helps.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2003, 23:11
hii
congrats 4 ur score..so was the gmat representative of OG
HOW TOUGH WERE PROBABILITY Q
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2003, 23:13
hii
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2003, 23:17
hii
Intern
Intern

GRE vs GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2003, 23:38
hey there mistdew.
thanks for your post. congratz on your score. regarding the GRE i took it last year and one thing is for sure, you will need to work your ass off on the verbal section depending on how good your vocab is. the verbal section really tests your knowledge of the language and i suggest you give it a good month and a half of practice and study. the math should be very similar to GMAT quant. i got a 780 on the math with not much trouble but verbal killed me. (500)
ask me more if you need.
the stone.

btw: im originally from Mumbai, grew up in pune and currently in the states. what progs u looking into?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2003, 07:33
What does it mean when you all say "a CR that is boldface"??? I have been studying for like 3 months and still have no clue!!!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2003, 21:18
mciatto : If you have the OG 10th Edition book, you will notice a Bold Face CR question at the end of the CR section. These types have been regularly making appearances on the GMAT since the past couple of years.

Get with the program!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 10:28
Tha major difference -- and it's a big difference indeed -- between GRE verbal and GMAT verbal is that instead of having a CR and sentence correction sections like the GMAT, the GRE has vocabulary (in the form of analogies) and sentence COMPLETION ... both tests have reading comp.

The GRE use to have a whole section devoted to CR-like logical reasoning, but for some bizzare reason they recently got rid of it. Personally, I think that testing vocabulary should be of far lesser importance than testing higher-order reasoning skills (like with CR and other LSAT-like questions). So, from a purist perspective, I think that ETS should have dropped the vocab and kept the CR.

Having said that, not having to worry about CR-like questions might make it easier on a lot of people so perhaps the change isn't all that bad :wink:
  [#permalink] 23 Aug 2003, 10:28