Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My GMAT story- 720(Q50, V37, 6.0) Never give up your dreams)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas-Columbia, Wharton, UCLA, Kellog, Booth
WE 1: 10 yrs in Healthcare IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 20

My GMAT story- 720(Q50, V37, 6.0) Never give up your dreams) [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 18:40
This post received
KUDOS
My Real GMAT score
Scaled score Percentile
Quantitative 50 93
Verbal 37 80
Total 720 94

Background Information

I am an Indian IT engineer. I have been working in US since 2003. I wanted to move into business, hence I switched my career from IT Indian giant to US Healthcare Company in bay area. I am one of those guys who always thought that I have already achieved lots of things in life, but I started to think about my MBA as I realized that I need a Master’s degree to further advance myself in my career. I never read any books apart from work related. I have very poor reading habit.

GMAT Preparation

After being out of school for the past 10 yrs, I was struggling with basic Math. I could not concentrate for more than 30 min. Verbal RCs always put me to sleep. I was doing OG 12 during my BART rides. I bought Manhattan SC/RC/CR after reading reviews in Amazon. I also enrolled in Dave GMAT course just to have a regular study pattern. Once the course was completed, I took my GMAT prep 1, somewhere in early May and ended up with 560 (Q48, V24). I did not even understand what these scores mean at that time. But was very disappointed that I scored only only 560. At this point, I was thinking to reach 650. Verbal was my biggest nemesis, I hated it so much that I did not want to practice it. I always practiced Quants.

Chaos

I scheduled my test in mid July, as my baby was due in 1st week of August. I thought I had a master plan to conquer GMAT. I took a week PTO from work prior to my test day. I over-stretched myself. I was studying about 15 hrs a day for the entire week. Took my GMAT Prep2 3 days prior to the test day and I was shattered to score only 590 (Q48, V26). To add to the wounds, my wife had to go to labor 2 days prior to my test and my son was born a day prior to the exam. All these resulted in me not able to take the exam. I was extremely happy for my son but disappointed with not being able to take the exam.

Recovery

I scheduled my test again after 2 months. This time I was more focused. I met a guy during my BART ride, after seeing me practicing GMAT; he started talking to me about what I was doing. He told me that he got selected in ISB. He told me about gmatclub and other forums and how it helped him so much to improve his scores. After that, I started using GMAT club and all its resources. I read through several GMAT experience posts (particularly the ones who improved verbal scores), this helped me to realize what it takes to score well in GMAT. I changed my strategy, I allocated 80%.of my time with verbal and did not bother about Quants except practicing OG 12 during rides. I did not gain much from Manhattan SC in my first 2 reads. But for the third time, I read the glossary first to understand what a clause, gerund, infinitive, phrase mean. This helped me to understand the rules a lot better.

I also found grockit. It’s free to practice. One of the primary reasons for me not doing well in verbal is that I am a very slow reader, hence I started using grockit every night and it helped me to increase my reading speed and comprehend. I was still fighting with RCs at this time. I was answering most SC’s within 45 sec. CR was always my strength.

Test Anxiety

2 days prior to the test my hands started to shake as I was reviewing my error logs. This may not work well for everyone, but whenever I was shaky or nervous, I started to eat something I really like cake, biryani etc). I simply went out and ate some food when I was nervous. I normally do not go to buffets, but I went to 2 consecutive buffets prior to the test day. This helped me to relax a lot and it took my mind of the test.

Test Day Experience

My test was at 12 noon. I found Borders close to the test center and was waiting and seeing some of the error logs. I had a sandwich and a cookie at 11 am and drove to the test center. I signed in and gave my finger prints and photo. Everything was real smooth and easy and everyone at the test center was very friendly. Please review GMAT bulletin at mba.com prior to the test.

AWA
I did not do anything but review Chinese burned’s thread. I did my last couple of CATS with AWA. This helped me to build some confidence. I still do not have my scores but both the essays were extremely easy. I am hoping to sore 6.0.

I took the break and forget to get the keys for the storage so I could not eat anything :( but still just relaxed for a while. I went in early with 2 min left on the clock.

I received my score report. AWA 6.0.

Quants
This is where the fun started. I got lots of arithmetic, inequality questions. Surprisingly the quants were very very easy. DS was my weakness; hence if I found a tough DS problem, then I made an educated guess and moved on. I got only couple of geometry and one probability question. I was doing really well on time. I was 100% sure of the answer for all the PS problems. Even for the tough ones, I took my time to answer them because I knew that I can get them correct. I got couple of tough compound interest questions; I think this is where I lost some points. Overall I felt Quants went really well. I finally scored 50, which is definitely on the high end of my practice scores. If you do OG 12 couple of times band review Bunnel’s posts, I am sure you can score well in Quants. Also error logs are a must.

I took the break again and I ensure that I got the keys this time. Drank Gatorade and ate some walnut.

Verbal
I knew that this is where my final score will be decided. I got 4 straight SCs to start with and all tough ones. It was easy to eliminate 2 or 3 options but was really confusing to choose between the last couple. It was followed by a couple of big RC with 4 para and followed 4 questions. I got couple of bold faced CRs as well. Overall, CRs was just similar to OG, it was not that tough. RC and SC were tougher than OG, you really need more practice on these areas to score well. Also I was really tried with last 10 questions and I am sure this is where I made some mistakes which pulled my verbal score back a little.

Then the suspense, I chose to report my scores and I was excited to see 720 on the screen :)

Materials Used

OG 12, OG 11, Verbal and Quant 2nd edition
Manhattan CR, SC and RC
GMAT club resources
Brutal SCs and Quant 198 from GMAT prep

Practice scores

I did take lots of practice tests to build stamina.

GMAT Prep 1 -5/15 (Q48, V25) – 560
GMAT Prep 2 -7/15 (Q48, V33) – 590

GMAT Prep 1 Retake -7/5 (Q48, V33) – 660
MGMAT CAT1 - 7/14 (Q48, V37) - 700
MGMAT CAT 2 - 7/18 - (Verbal only, V36)
MGMAT CAT 3 - 7/21 (Verbal only, V35)
MGMAT CAT 4 - 8/21 (Q44, V36) - 660
MGMAT CAT 5 - 8/28 (Q44, V36) – 660
VERITAS CAT free ones - 9/11 (Q49, V34) – 650
Kaplan- 9/18 (Q44, V42) - 660
GMAT Prep 2- 9/19 (Q47, V37) - 690

What worked well?

1. GMAT is all about confidence. Be confident that you can do well. Try to remember your college days and how you did well and try to execute the same strategy.
2. Focus on your weakness and trust your strengths. In the beginning, I skipped verbal and focused too much on Quants and it did not help me to improve my scores. I knew that things will come together in Quants, I was always confident.you need balanced scores to improve your overall score.
3. OG 12, 11 and 2nd edition along with Manhattan verbal guides are must.
4. Maintain error logs and be sure to analyze your practice scores on where you are making mistakes.
5. Take GMAT Prep’s more than once, these are excellent practice. Even though retakes boost your score, it helps to build confidence.
6. Take practice tests every weekend to pace yourself and build stamina. It all boils down to how you manage time in Quants and verbal.
7. Last but not the least, the encouragement, motivation, and advice I got from fellow GMAT club members is priceless. I would not have come this far, if it is not for the encouragement given by some of the senior members in the forum.

I never thought I will have this big of a story to write, but it will sure help someone in the future. I know that I still have a long way to get admitted into my target schools, but GMAT is a good beginning. I am happy with my score.

I am primarily interested in Haas-Berkeley-Columbia EMBA program.

Last edited by willneverquit on 01 Oct 2010, 07:10, edited 16 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 181 [2] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Took Veritas CAT - disappointed with my scores. [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 19:02
This post received
KUDOS
I think 650 on Veritas tests is quite a good score and your quant score is really impressive and you just need to push your verbal score. Also, in a month i think it's possible for you to go above 720.. Good luck with your preparation and keep us informed about the updates from your side.

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 20

Re: Took Veritas CAT - disappointed with my scores. [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 19:16
hi kissthegmat,
Thank you for your kind words. I have been following this site but never registered. Today I wanted to share this as I do not have any other ideas to improve my score. I am analyzing my results now.

I will not quit until I reach my target.
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Took Veritas CAT - disappointed with my scores. [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 19:20
How do Veritas CAT's compare with other ones like GMATPrep, MGMAT, and Knewton?

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 321

Kudos [?]: 1283 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Took Veritas CAT - disappointed with my scores. [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 19:22
Though Veritas is a good test to take, I'd still advice you to take a GMAT Prep as they follow the same algorithm as the GMAT and this time, try to pace yourself properly. Focus on your weak areas and try to improve them specifically. A 700+ is possible :)
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Took Veritas CAT - disappointed with my scores. [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 21:55
check out error logs and fix your problems. also try other practice tests like gmac diagnostic as well

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 830 [0], given: 235

Re: Took Veritas CAT - disappointed with my scores. [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 01:52
I m also planning to give their free test. I might give in a day or two. Its the high time I should start with CAT's.....

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Re: Took Veritas CAT - disappointed with my scores. [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 21:34
Yes. Gurpreet, go for your CAT, this is the only way to see if our preparation is improving or not.
Manager
Manager

Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 22:25
Today, I did Round 2 of OG 12 CR and SC errors. Still managed only 75% accuracy on CR and about 70% on SC.
I have to do one more round to make sure that I do not repeat the same mistakes.

Upcoming schedule
1. GMAT Prep 2 on 9/18
2. Kaplan test 1 on 9/19.
3. Kaplan test 2 on 9/25.
4. Review OG12, OG11 and Verbal and Quant 2nd edition errors.
5. If time permits, MGMAT CAT 6.
6. Practice Verbal in Grockit everyday at night for 30 min before sleep.

It feels like my test date 9/27 is approaching real fast now. I will continue to post daily updates.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 95

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 22:56
This post received
KUDOS
It's good to see you here again with updates. Also, try to be as close as possible to official material in the last days of your preparation and don't touch any un-official material. Good luck with your preparation.

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 394 [2] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
willneverquit wrote:
Today, I did Round 2 of OG 12 CR and SC errors. Still managed only 75% accuracy on CR and about 70% on SC.
I have to do one more round to make sure that I do not repeat the same mistakes.

Upcoming schedule
1. GMAT Prep 2 on 9/18

It feels like my test date 9/27 is approaching real fast now. I will continue to post daily updates.

To give you an idea, on the MGMAT CATs, my average test score was around 750-760 in five tests.
My accuracy was 66% for CR and 77% for SC and RC.
So if you can get to around the 70-80% for the tougher CATs, you'll def hit your overall target on the GMAT

When I played around with GMAT prep, after 8 incorrect Qs in verbal I was still getting a 750 score ... so that's an overall 75% accuracy ... though this is a crude simplification since you really need to see what Qs you get wrong etc, but its a good target percentage to keep in mind none the less and looks like you are pretty close to that anyway.

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 05:51
My exam is on Nov 19th.Was wondering when is the right time to give practice Cats,guess have to start.Friends,i have given gmatclub tests separately,verbal n quant but not one full together.Anyone given Gmatclub diagnostic test?Should i give it now.Or start with Manhattan?
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 07:19
Reminder to go through your error log!

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 52

Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 07:42
for the practice tests... you should do a gmac diagnostic if you havent done so. MGMAT is pretty good to start off with

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager

Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 09:24
I have already taken MGMAT CATs (five of them) and GMAT Prep 1. I have been preparing for 5 months now.

My practice test scores are as follows:
1. GMAT Prep 1 -7/5 (Q48, V33) - 660
2. MGMAT CAT1 - 7/14 (Q48, V37) - 700
2. MGMAT CAT 2 - 7/18 - (Verbal only, V36)
3. MGMAT CAT 3 - 7/21 (Verbal only, V35)
5. MGMAT CAT 4 - 8/21 (Q44, V36) - 660
6. MGMAT CAT 5 - 8/28 (Q44, V36) - 660
7. Veritas CAT free one - 9/11 (Q49, V34) - 650

My score is not moving beyond 660. :( I think GMAT prep 2 will put some lights on where I stand now.

Last edited by willneverquit on 13 Sep 2010, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 09:26
Hi Shrouded, Thank you for your comments. I do agree that around 80% is a good accuracy. But my worry is that, I have seen these questions before and still get some of them wrong again. It frustrates me a little.

shrouded1 wrote:
willneverquit wrote:

Upcoming schedule
1. GMAT Prep 2 on 9/18

To give you an idea, on the MGMAT CATs, my average test score was around 750-760 in five tests.
My accuracy was 66% for CR and 77% for SC and RC.
So if you can get to around the 70-80% for the tougher CATs, you'll def hit your overall target on the GMAT

When I played around with GMAT prep, after 8 incorrect Qs in verbal I was still getting a 750 score ... so that's an overall 75% accuracy ... though this is a crude simplification since you really need to see what Qs you get wrong etc, but its a good target percentage to keep in mind none the less and looks like you are pretty close to that anyway.
CEO
CEO

Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 10:09
willneverquit wrote:
Hi Shrouded, Thank you for your comments. I do agree that around 80% is a good accuracy. But my worry is that, I have seen these questions before and still get some of them wrong again. It frustrates me a little.

It is very important that you don't make repeated mistakes, else there is no use of so much preparation.

If you feel you are unable to reduce the mistakes, then leave all the unofficial material and do official material multiple times till you reach > 90% accuracy. This accuracy should not be based on the answers you have remembered.If you remember the answer but not the explanation that why one option is right and other 4 are wrong, mark it as incorrect.

I think you should not give more Kaplan's, instead give Mgmat 6 and gmatprep only, and do revise all the material and tests you have covered.

keep us updated !!

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :

CEO
CEO

Re: Took Veritas CAT - disappointed with my scores. [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 14:25
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I m also planning to give their free test. I might give in a day or two. Its the high time I should start with CAT's.....

I gave it today and scored 680 :( . Their sectional scoring seems to be fair.

I don't know how many years I will take to learn ENGLISH.

Gmat test review :

Manager
Manager

Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 10:32
I got real busy at work last week. Got home by 9 pm on all days. I managed to complete verbal error log for OG12. I need to complete the rest this weekend. Also my planned GMAT Prep 2 is today. I will keep you all posted with more updates very soon.
Manager
Manager

Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 18:37
I just completed my GMAT Prep 2, I scored 690 (Q47, V38). For the first time, I made fewer mistakes in verbal than Quants. I ran out of time in Quants and had to guess last 4 questions. There were at least 5 repeats in verbal. I feel I should have scored crossed 700 :(

I am gonna review the results for the rest of the day and work on OG error logs. It sure feels like running a marathon taking full test with AWA.
Re: My GMAT story (test on 9/27)   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2010, 18:37