Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

/

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.87
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 08:36
/

Last edited by towski on 24 Oct 2013, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Top 10 MBA profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 11:03
The biggest concern for your candidacy for me (and I'm not an expert in this) is the higher education obsession. Why do you need 3 masters degrees? You seem to be chasing something and I'm not sure what it is, and I don't see how the MBA is going to help you settle into a career in a way that your other degrees haven't. It's definitely a good plan to raise your GMAT, especially your quant score, which is kinda so-so. Given your stellar GRE though, it should a) be easy for you to improve or b) not necessary since you can submit the GRE to most places.

You need to weave a tight and clear story about your path and how it ends up leading you through all these masters degrees and then finally to retail, which comes out of no where. At the moment your trajectory is really scattered and confusing.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.87
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 11:23
/

Last edited by towski on 24 Oct 2013, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Top 10 MBA profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 12:21
You're the one that has to sell it and if you think that retail and service industries have lots of overlap, then absolutely you should talk about it. The more compellingly you can explain your case the better! It sounds like you really understand the limitations in your industry given your current degrees, and I would explicitly talk about how an MBA can skyrocket you into the positions you really are striving for. Your "insider knowledge" will give you a lot of credibility.

I can't say for sure that it will hurt you (for sure, it's impressive that you are working full-time AND getting a masters degree), but you just need to make sure to indicate how everything is working in concert to help you achieve your goals. It's just a matter of putting it all together.

I hope someone else weighs in because I like your story and think you have a great shot, but the flurry of Masters is a bit out there for my taste.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Top 10 MBA profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 09:14
My question to you is this: what matters most to you and why?
I think that's the staple Stanford essay question, so being able to answer that would definitely help since you're aiming for that school anyway.

But the reason I ask is because although individual aspects of your profile are good on their own (good GPA, good ECs, good career trajectory thus far with that promotion), they don't build up to what I would personally consider a compelling story (I'm not an admissions officer, but hey you put this under Peer Review so I consider your profile fair game).

The biggest challenge, in my opinion, is that it's not easy for me to understand why you did what you've done. If you have a vision/goal, I'm not quite sure the decisions you've made so far all lead you closer to that goal. But that's saying a lot when you haven't even crafted your essays yet. Who knows, you just might be able to put an awesome spin to all the things you've accomplished!

Bottom line is: you've got a good background, and if you're able to tie it all together, you'll have a great story that will bring you to the best schools. Godspeed!
Re: Top 10 MBA profile evaluation   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2012, 09:14

/

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap