Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top 10 or Partime?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Top 10 or Partime? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 06:36
Probably not the correct forum, but I have a question about advantages and disadvantages of making a choice. My profile is probably top 10 worthy, and I currently work in a large corporation in health insurance that would pay for a part time program. Now heres the question: Do I quit my good job to go off and pay for a top 10 education, or do I go to a part time program (University of Minnesota, Carlson) and have my employer pay for it?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Strategy
GPA: 3.88

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Top 10 or Partime?? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
The University of Minnesota, Carlson is a well ranked school on the 2012 Businessweek B-school rankings list. This choice is entirely up to you. I always like to say, "When the timing is right, it will work itself out." However, if your employer is willing to pay for you to join a well ranked program, this is not an opportunity many would pass up. Although it would be ideal to join a program full-time, do you want to take on the expense of a full-time program? Do you want to quit your job and have no steady income? Your employer is showing confidence in you. If you are concerned about juggling work and school this is something that your employer may be willing to help you with since they offered you to further your education. Not only is this a great opportunity to further your education but it's a great opportunity to show your employer what you're made of!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 1

Re: Top 10 or Partime?? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 10:34
Hi,

What are your career goals? Can you see yourself continue to develop professionally at the firm?

If you are considering a part-time program, here's another option for you to consider - UNC's new online MBA program.

http://onlinemba.unc.edu/about/why-unc- ... eputation/

Good luck!

Christine
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

Blingblong wrote:
Probably not the correct forum, but I have a question about advantages and disadvantages of making a choice. My profile is probably top 10 worthy, and I currently work in a large corporation in health insurance that would pay for a part time program. Now heres the question: Do I quit my good job to go off and pay for a top 10 education, or do I go to a part time program (University of Minnesota, Carlson) and have my employer pay for it?

Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Top 10 or Partime?? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 18:21
Well, in the end my goal would be to come back to MN and reenter health insurance or healthcare consulting of some kind. I'm just worried about credentials the higher I climb the ladder, or if I'll even have the option to enter the more lucritive areas like MA or consulting without a top tier MBA next to my name.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Top 10 or Partime?? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
That is a very intelligent long-term thought you have there. The question I would ask: Do you have the background to get into a Top10 program? If so, I think you almost have to give it a shot. (you can always take up your work offer one year later, if need be)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Top 10 or Partime?? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 09:14
My background (assuming I get the GMAT score I'm getting in practice tests and am shooting for) is probably T10 (I could be wrong): I'm a CPA with 4 years, upon matriculation, of health insurance experience at United HealthCare. Was there during heath care reform and whatnot. Thanks for the response. I've given this some thought, I'm going to try and break the upper tier of T10. If not capable of doing that, it may be hard for me to pass up a free carlson spot, as I could always double and get an MHA/MBA part time over 4yrs or so, which would also look great but be a very painful experience.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 1

Re: Top 10 or Partime?? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 23:18
Hi,

Do you have a strong interest in M&A, or consulting? Full-time program is better suited for people who want to switch their career.

Hope you do well w the GMAT.

Give some thoughts to your skills and passion, and see what type of career would match up with your skills and passion.

Good luck!

Christine
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

Blingblong wrote:
Well, in the end my goal would be to come back to MN and reenter health insurance or healthcare consulting of some kind. I'm just worried about credentials the higher I climb the ladder, or if I'll even have the option to enter the more lucritive areas like MA or consulting without a top tier MBA next to my name.

Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog

Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation, Standford- 740 GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 04:34
Expert's post
Yes. Apply. If you already applied to so many programs, it's silly not to apply to Stanford. You will only get this one shot so don't miss it. And you have some chances. Just be passionate and sincere and original and do your best.

One note about the Recommendations - Stanford doesn't need an academic letter of recommendation. You do, however need one from a peer and one from your current boss.

hope this helps,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: Top 10 or Partime?? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 04:36
Expert's post
Blingblong wrote:
My background (assuming I get the GMAT score I'm getting in practice tests and am shooting for) is probably T10 (I could be wrong): I'm a CPA with 4 years, upon matriculation, of health insurance experience at United HealthCare. Was there during heath care reform and whatnot. Thanks for the response. I've given this some thought, I'm going to try and break the upper tier of T10. If not capable of doing that, it may be hard for me to pass up a free carlson spot, as I could always double and get an MHA/MBA part time over 4yrs or so, which would also look great but be a very painful experience.

dude, then you have your answer for you. You are in no rush here. And if you want take up that option next year... but you gotta at least TRY for the top 10.. or you will never forgive yourself (insert dramatic music here - Orf or Wagner of something )

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Expert Post
Admissionado

Re: R2 or Next Year (Profile Evaluation Request) [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 04:45
Expert's post
Alex, sooo 770 +3.8= good chances.

Still you do have to have a good applications, and what I would suggest here is to apply to as many schools as you can with good applications (meaning better one solid application this year in R2 to your number one preference than four shoddy ones) and see what happens. I think you could make at least two schools by R2, and plan for the others R3.

If you are in no rush at all and doing great stuff in your job, you could also wait which would give you the advantage of having all your results at the same time and making your later choice easier, but it's not necessary...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Re: R2 or Next Year (Profile Evaluation Request)   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2012, 04:45