Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top 20 B-School: Cost vs Ranking

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What school would you go to?

• 50% [25]
  • 42% [21]
  • 2% [1]
  • 4% [2]
  • 2% [1]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Top 20 B-School: Cost vs Ranking [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 06:06
Good morning guys,

My profile: 680 GMAT, 3.89 GPA, Female, International

I wanted your opinion on the following schools. I have been accepted at all of the schools below.

Darden - 1/2 tuition scholarship
Texas A&M - 1/2 tuition scholarship
Vanderbilt - 1.5 tuition scholarship
NYU Stern - 1/4 tuition scholarship
McCombs - 1/4 tuition scholarship

With my savings, if I choose Texas A&M or Vanderbilt, it will take one year to repay the cost of the entire program (cost of living, tuition, insurance,etc). However, these schools are not as highly ranked as NYU or Darden.

Darden and NYU will take roughly 3 and 4 years to repay, respectively. Is it worth it going to these schools?

What would you do?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Top 20 B-School: Cost vs Ranking [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 07:28
Go to the school you like the most and worry about the money later. Loans are relatively cheap anyway.

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top 20 B-School: Cost vs Ranking [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 07:28
what do you want to do post MBA and where do you want to be?

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: Top 20 B-School: Cost vs Ranking [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 10:02
riverripper wrote:
what do you want to do post MBA and where do you want to be?

I am looking into Consulting or Entrepreneurship.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden, Fuqua, Booth, McCombs, Kelley, Kenan-Flagler
WE 1: 3 yrs - Tech Marketing, then International Development
Followers: 0

Re: Top 20 B-School: Cost vs Ranking [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 12:47
I applied to several of those schools as well and have been having the same cost vs ranking dilemma. I will say one thing-- most people who say "Go where you want and worry about money later" are on the front end of things. Post- MBA professionals usually have a different take, though not always. If you look at ROI for some top schools, it's reeeeeeally long, like Chicago Booth, at 14 years. So money should not be the only factor, but as a business investment, it should be A factor.

Second, look at where you want to work, geographically speaking. That's where your alumni network will be strongest as well as brand recognition for your school. For example, I am originally from Atlanta, where Emory, Duke, and Vanderbilt are super strong brand names. When I told my friend I got a big scholarship at Darden as well as Vanderbilt, her reaction was: "You got into Vanderbilt?!" Point being- everyone else in the world hasn't spent the last 6 months agonizing over lists of rankings like we all have.

Darden is a fantastic school and well recognized. However, one of my buddies from California got a full-tuition offer there, but he's concerned because his friends in California aren't familiar with the U of Virginia. Almost all schools are regional to some extent. However, some of that is by choice, as they draw regional students who prefer to stay in the area. Just take it into consideration. You are not limited by your school or location, and having a lot less debt may give you more freedom after graduation to take the job you really want over the job that pays more but isn't where you want to be.
Re: Top 20 B-School: Cost vs Ranking   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2011, 12:47