Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

top 20 mba & working experience - more questions :)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 65
Location: Kiev, Ukraine - Atlanta, GA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

top 20 mba & working experience - more questions :) [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 13:58
dear Linda,

I've read the chapter on "Advices on younger applicants" on your website, but could I ask you about my situation?

I want to enroll to Top 20 Bus. School, although I don't have huge job experience - just 2,5 years, but in Fortune 10 Company.

I know how important is work experience for really good Bus. School. But I need to get to bus school now.

Could you advise if it's possible?

my advantages -

1) Quite good progress of responsibilities, though I didn't have supervisor position. I was an porchasing agent and then as a regional accountant (in huge company sometimes it takes more time to grow.). I started with summer internship and shortly was delegated serious tasks.
I can obtain very good recommendations from my workplace.

2) While working 40+ hrs/week, I was studying in the university (part-time). I was the only student in my department who managed to do so and my GPA is 3.8 for Master diploma, and 3.6 for Barchelor.
Actually,working 40+ hrs in a big corporation and managing to study was a real challenge for me.

3)Proven leadership activities in student organizations etc.

4) I hope I could do gmat 700+

my disadvantages -

1) almost ALL working experience was obtained during studying as I graduated summer 2003.

2) I had to quit my job in winter 2004 and relocate to US (my husband received good job offer), so I'm unemployed now.
but - I volunteer for international student organization here.

please please please advise what do you think about my chances to get into top 20 MBA (either full time, or part time)

thank you very much :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4839
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 15:02
Expert's post
How long have you been unemployed and what are you doing for the student organization?
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 65
Location: Kiev, Ukraine - Atlanta, GA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2004, 16:19
I've been unemployed since January (as according to US laws I don't have work authorization here :evil:)
that's why the best way for me is going studying.

The goal of the organization where i volunteer is improving intercultural understanding through arranging international internships for students or recent graduates (it's Aiesec, maybe you've heard before).

I'm finding employers who could give work to such trainees and I participate in reception/accomodation/communications with newly arrived trainees (not example of leadership, but example of intercultural/interpersonal interests etc)
I initiated some ideas for our conference and I'm going to organize it this summer (could be an example of leadership)

more examples on leadership:

In the company where I worked, I was responsible for several important projects and coordinated actions of several peoples (up to 10).

in my country, on my 1 & 2 university year I was local committee president of organization that developed young politicians.

at the beginbning of spring I organized a filmmakers' team and produced a short movie (just hobby) despite the fact that I knew nobody here in US.

General description of my personality - very proactive, like make things to happen, trying to challenge myself constantly, like to work hard on my priority areas, but have many interests exept job. Love people and enjoy life.

(sorry if it sounds stupid, in my application I'll try to sound better )

thank you for any feedback. I've already heard the opinions that I have no chances due to current unemployment and short working experience.

however, in my application I could stress that even if I don't have much experience, I demonstrated that I have good potential...

I don't know what to do.

however, at Columbia website I saw that the age of students starts from 22.... :roll:


thank you for your time and consideration :)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4839
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: top 20 mba & working experience - more questions :) [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2004, 13:48
Expert's post
Andrea_ wrote:
dear Linda,

I've read the chapter on "Advices on younger applicants" on your website, but could I ask you about my situation?

I want to enroll to Top 20 Bus. School, although I don't have huge job experience - just 2,5 years, but in Fortune 10 Company.

I know how important is work experience for really good Bus. School. But I need to get to bus school now.

Could you advise if it's possible?

my advantages -

1) Quite good progress of responsibilities, though I didn't have supervisor position. I was an porchasing agent and then as a regional accountant (in huge company sometimes it takes more time to grow.). I started with summer internship and shortly was delegated serious tasks.
I can obtain very good recommendations from my workplace.

2) While working 40+ hrs/week, I was studying in the university (part-time). I was the only student in my department who managed to do so and my GPA is 3.8 for Master diploma, and 3.6 for Barchelor.
Actually,working 40+ hrs in a big corporation and managing to study was a real challenge for me.

3)Proven leadership activities in student organizations etc.

4) I hope I could do gmat 700+

my disadvantages -

1) almost ALL working experience was obtained during studying as I graduated summer 2003.

2) I had to quit my job in winter 2004 and relocate to US (my husband received good job offer), so I'm unemployed now.
but - I volunteer for international student organization here.

please please please advise what do you think about my chances to get into top 20 MBA (either full time, or part time)

thank you very much :)


Your lack of current employement is a negative but you seem to have done very well during your 2+ years at a Fortune 100 firm. You also seem to be using your time well now and can point to your volunteer experience as a growth experience for you. If you do well on your GMAT, considering that you are a woman and that the schools have experienced a sharp drop in European applicants, I do think you have a chance at top 20 business schools.

As I look at it your main downside in applying is the time, effort and money spent in the application process, which admittedly is not insignficant but the upside would allow you to use the next two years for professional advancement and then after the program you would really be set to resume your career.

I can't guarantee you that you will be accepted, but it seems to me that you have enough going for you, especially if you do well on the GMAT, where it pays for you to apply.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 65
Location: Kiev, Ukraine - Atlanta, GA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2004, 14:45
thank you Linda!

could you please answer my last question?

do you think I could have some chances with 2nd half of 2nd tier b-schools,
or i could try Columbia also? the reason why I'm asking is that they age range starts from 22..
It was a surprise for me to see such age range in top 10 b-school...

but maybe they accept "brilliantly outstanding" people of such age?

thank you very much and good luck to you too!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2004, 12:58
Quote:
do you think I could have some chances with 2nd half of 2nd tier b-schools,
or i could try Columbia also? the reason why I'm asking is that they age range starts from 22..
It was a surprise for me to see such age range in top 10 b-school...


I got into Columbia Business at age 21 with no work experience. It is possible with a good GMAT and grades, business background.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4839
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2004, 13:23
Expert's post
Andrea_ wrote:
thank you Linda!

could you please answer my last question?

do you think I could have some chances with 2nd half of 2nd tier b-schools,
or i could try Columbia also? the reason why I'm asking is that they age range starts from 22..
It was a surprise for me to see such age range in top 10 b-school...

but maybe they accept "brilliantly outstanding" people of such age?

thank you very much and good luck to you too!


I'm sorry I missed this post and didn't reply earlier.

Yes, I think you have a chance in the top fifty business schools, with a high GMAT I think you are a strong, competitive candidate outside the top 20. Assuming a high GMAT, yes it makes sense to apply to CBS, but realize that CBS would be a stretch for you.

Good luck!
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog


Last edited by Accepted.com on 12 Jul 2004, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 65
Location: Kiev, Ukraine - Atlanta, GA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2004, 07:02
Xwillx and Accepted.com, thank you so much for the feedback!

Xwillx, it's so great of you to do so!!
could you please advise what gmat you had and what made your application so strong??
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic top mba programmes requiring no work experience vishalmikki 2 26 Jun 2013, 10:12
Is this work experience enough for top 10 MBA programs? woowee12 1 11 Jun 2012, 19:59
Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? avn0903 8 13 Jun 2010, 08:49
can i get into a top 30 MBA program with no work experience? ugoagha 17 11 Jul 2008, 17:44
Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA for no work experience? JingChan 3 12 Nov 2007, 18:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

top 20 mba & working experience - more questions :)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.