Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top 3 Business Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Top 3 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
I know this discussion is a bit cliche, but I need some advice. My strongest reccomender told me that he would be happy to write me rec letters for any school, but would not write more than one at once. He says that his letters will reflect my desire to go to the school, and that he cannot honestly write a great letter unless he can say "If ___ gets into your school, he will go". Thus, I cannot have more than 1 outstanding application at once.

He suggested that I apply to 3 schools R2 this year, R3 this year, and R1 next year. I feel that I am a strong candidate for a top 3 school, but I need to determine the order in which I will apply. I have already written the essays for Stanford, Harvard, and Wharton, and I already have my other recs ready to go.

Profile: 25 / M / 760 GMAT / 6.0 AWA / 3.91 GPA Engineering at Princeton / 3 YRS Product Manager at Google/Microsoft/Oracle (large promotion last year) / Very strong undergraduate ECs

Post MBA goals: High tech, possibly entrepreneurship

My *tentative* ranking is as follows:
1.) Stanford (R2 this year)
2.) Harvard (R3 this year)
3.) Wharton (R1 next year)

Here's my main reasoning:
- Network: I am interested in working in high tech space after graduation (possibly as a product manager). I do not have a personal geographical preference, but I believe most technology innovation is in Silicon Valley near Stanford. Thus, I will be in a better network for these roles after graduation with Stanford. However, Harvard has a much larger class size than Stanford (900 vs 375). Thus, there may be better alumni representation across the board.

- Education: From what I can gather, Wharton and Stanford offer the best MBA education. They have rigorous classes in finance and economics (which is actually a plus for me because I enjoy learning, and I appreciate the opportunity to prove myself in non-subjective capacities). While in B-school, I plan to take as many "real" classes as I can.

- Reputation: All 3 of great "brand names". However, I feel like Stanford has a slightly better name within tech area. The Stanford name says "innovative" while Wharton/Harvard say "old-school". On the other hand, the "Harvard" name is more likely to impress the in-laws.

- Selectivity: Obviously, I would prefer to get into the first school I apply to because I don't want to draw this process out for a long time. Stanford's acceptance rate is signifantly lower (6% for S vs ~10% H/W ). On the other hand, its always nice to say you got into the most selective b-school in the world.

Please share your thoughts or critiques.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top 3 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 07:37
First, you have a very competitive profile indeed. I think your tentative rankings makes sense: Stanford 1st for the technical and west cost network, Harvard for the brand...
I think this is good, so the only thing I will say to you is : "go ahead, and best wishes".
Keep us posted, I'll be happy to read about your "journey".
Cheers

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top 3 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 15:01
I think it's alarming that you are letting one person dictate your application schedule. Your recommender is a control freak. If you are dinged by Stanford this year, is your recommender going to write his Harvard letter in pure honesty as follows: "if dreambigmba2011 gets into Harvard Business School, he will go, but only because he was dinged by his first choice Stanford last year. He really loves Stanford!"

My advice: use your recommender for Stanford, and find another one to apply to both Harvard and Wharton this year also.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top 3 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 20:05
This is obviously too late, but you should have told your recommender to change his thinking to: "If ___ gets into your school, he will go UNLESS SCHOOL XYZ OFFERS $$$." Then he'd have to accept writing recs for all 3.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top 3 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 11:34
Agree with the above poster on using this guy once - for your #1 choice which sounds like Stanford. I guess maybe consider Wharton R1 next year if you really want, but applying to Harvard (or any school) Round 3 will put you at a huge disadvantage.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Top 3 Business Schools [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 13:42
Based on the description of what you're looking for I'd rec you shoot for Standford first. Seems to be the best fit.
Re: Top 3 Business Schools   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2011, 13:42