Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Re: Top 5 B-schools for Real Estate [#permalink]
Kudos
riverripper, rhyme, or kryzak, I believe that with all the other discussion taking place on this thread, the usefulness of this link may get overlooked:

https://www.usc.edu/schools/sppd/private ... arison.pdf

I think something like this may have a place in the knowledge vault, or another relevant place that it could be bookmarked. As a prospective MBA student interested in real estate, I found the breakdown of top real estate programs as a great resource after researching, applying, and doing all my due diligence on top MBA programs.

If I were starting the application process all over again, I would probably have applied to these 4 programs rather than 5 traditional MBA programs and the one real estate focused program that I did apply to.

When I first started visiting this board, I connected with several people who were interested in real estate, but no one knew of or mentioned the real estate specific programs. I think providing this link to future MBA applicants interested in real estate could be a great resource for those people. This thread will most likely eventually get buried and then next year's applicants will have to start the search all over again.

Since I have been accepted at both the Johnson School and the Program in Real Estate at Cornell, I have had a number of conversations with current students and faculty in both programs. The clear consensus is that the best industry connections come from the real estate specific programs, and that there is also a growing preference among employers to recruit from the real estate specific programs because of the preference and loyalty it shows to the industry.

If any of you can look it over and tell me if you think it's worthy of being added to the collective knowledge, I'd appreciate it. I know it would have saved me a lot of time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I know nothing about quality of real estate programs but I do know Kellogg has a RE conference and a real estate department. https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/academic/realestate/index.htm I would bet any school with a focus on RE probably will have connections and the ability to provide you with some opportunities. Reaching out to clubs is a great way to get a sense of how active it is at a given school and the level of support. Find schools you like and determine the depth of their RE program, do they have a major, a club, conference, lots of classes, companies that recruit, alums in the industry, etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
noah wrote:
As the subject states, I'm currently in the process of prepping for applicaitons to several B-schools with an indepth concentration in real estate development and finance. I know HAAS, Wharton, and USC have sub-programs dedicated to real estate development and finance. However, I am not aware of any other schools that offer such depth in their concentrations. Can anyone point me to schools that I may be missing?

I have also considered a masters in real estate finance which USC, Columbia, MIT, and Cornell each offer and are most notably recognized for.

Any advice would be of great help

Cheers!

thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm in the same boat. Does anyone know where to find rankings of the top real estate programs? I know US News ranks specializations such as Operations, Marketing, etc, and apparently they used to rank Real Estate concentrations. Where can I find this info?

Haas claims to be consistently ranked in the Top 3 real estate programs. But according to what rankings?

Thanks! :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q48  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
rizzoss669 wrote:
I'm in the same boat. Does anyone know where to find rankings of the top real estate programs? I know US News ranks specializations such as Operations, Marketing, etc, and apparently they used to rank Real Estate concentrations. Where can I find this info?

Haas claims to be consistently ranked in the Top 3 real estate programs. But according to what rankings?

Thanks! :wink:

I am also planning to concentrate on real estate. I started this thread a while back, and some people left suggestions:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t51088

From what I've gathered, the top 3 Berkeley is referring to is Columbia, Wharton, and Haas. I've looked at individual programs, and I really liked UNC, Duke, and Vanderbilt as a sort of wild card. They're building a real estate program and if I am accepted/attend, I'd plan on working in Nashville afterward, and they have very good regional placement.

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Top 3 are:

1. Wharton
2. ?????
3. Wisconsin

I'm planning on going to B school for an MBA in real estate and urban land economics from UW for this reason. Their overall grad program is only like top 40 so I guess it's not on a lot of radars here, but UW has an incredible real estate program.

give them a look. it doesn't hurt that Madison was just ranked the number 1 college sports town in the US and consistently one of the best places to live.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also check out:

UCLA Anderson
McCombs

-Janet
MBA Podcaster
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
How can USC Marshall possibly be left off the list???
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
There's good reason for all those schools, and I think it's worth noting that they all handle separate markets. Although big REITs are often national, a lot of the real estate industry is regionally focused.

USC and UCLA have all the southern California real estate firms, which, living in Oregon, I know are strong up and down the west coast for major developments and innovation. Haas has the Bay Area firms, which I also see a lot of around here.

Wisconsin has the Midwest market, largely to itself, in terms of a strong focus on real estate.

Wharton, Columbia, and Cornell are strong for New England. UNC has a great program for the South.

I was also reading on the BW forums posts from a graduated MBA who works in real estate. He emphasized that it is more important to get in to a great school than a school that emphasizes real estate. Of course, all the above are strong schools, so they should still be strong either way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Quote:
I was also reading on the BW forums posts from a graduated MBA who works in real estate. He emphasized that it is more important to get in to a great school than a school that emphasizes real estate. Of course, all the above are strong schools, so they should still be strong either way.

Do you happen to have a link to this post? I'd love to get in there and read up.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
That's great insight, river. The Here's the link eschn3am:

https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=73960

I'm not part of the other forums because I get better perspective here, but coming from an HBS grad, I think this is worth a look.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
A relative of mine actually worked the real estate division at a bulge bracket bank until he retired. His advice when I was looking at schools is the overall image of a school means more than any specialty ranking it may have. You could go to the #1 school in xxx but if its ranked 35th overall then you will be much better off at a top 10 school. This probably is true for most things, yes some specialties like marketing or management may be different but I dont think real estate falls into that since its not a huge post MBA field.

I totally agree with river. The doors a top school will help open are far beyond its perceived "core".

L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Here's a kind of uber-specific scenario question:

Let's say you're going into the family business, and for the sake of argument, let's say that business is real estate. You know you'll eventually be running this company after years of working under the current partners. Would this change your opinion of which school to go for? In your opinion, do you think it'd be better to go to a school with a strong real estate concentration and pick up the rest in the 'real world' or vice versa? Make your connections and learn the general management from a top program and learn the real estate business in the 'real world'?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
eschn3am wrote:
Here's a kind of uber-specific scenario question:

Let's say you're going into the family business, and for the sake of argument, let's say that business is real estate. You know you'll eventually be running this company after years of working under the current partners. Would this change your opinion of which school to go for? In your opinion, do you think it'd be better to go to a school with a strong real estate concentration and pick up the rest in the 'real world' or vice versa? Make your connections and learn the general management from a top program and learn the real estate business in the 'real world'?

In this caselet, I would still choose the Veritas Logo over the Wisconsin one. If you want to specialize in Real Estate, do some Real Estate specific courses before, during (electives) or after the MBA, or learn on the job. The general management aspect, however, is very relevant if you are running the company. Plus you can always benefit from having a wide and deep network.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I do know that a Haas student chose Haas over other schools like Kellogg for Real Estate and is loving the opportunities that the program gives him. Of course, both schools are in the top 10 (or top two clusters), so it doesn't matter so much.

I would add an amendment to what river and lepium said. If you're picking between two UE/E schools (say Kellogg and Haas, HBS and Chicago, Wharton or Duke, etc...), and the lower ranked school is much stronger in the area you want to go into, that's good enough reason to pick the lower ranked school (of course, with all the other "fit" criteria matched too). Beyond the top two tiers, I probably would pick the top 15 schools in case I change majors or try something else.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kry I think choosing the school of "lesser" standing is not so much a big deal once you are talking elite and above. You will have great opportunities. Yes an UE might give you more but it might not be enough to sway you if you love a school. Also the schools region matters. If you want to stay in Cali then Haas definitely has an advantage. However, if you want to go to Chicago post grad then Kellogg will have a huge advantage. Want to go the East coast, then Kellogg still probably has the advantage but if you want Nevada then Haas might be stronger there.

That said I am still a believe in opportunity cost. Personally I could have applied to some elite schools in R2 and see if I could get a scholarship but I am of the belief that any of the UE will be able to make up the difference between 0 in student loans and 80+K worth. I might be able to work a company to foot the second year so if I manage that then its only really going to be 40+k. Chances of landing a job that pays 10k+ more a year is pretty good at a UE. I know some companies do repay student loans over a period of time too.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
good points river. I did consider the salary thing too when I said I'm leaning Haas (other than the location, tech, entrepreneurship, yadda...), is that the average salary they pay (especially for people who go work in tech) is not that much lower (sometimes higher) than the UEs... Other than H/S/W, I think the rest of the UE cluster plus select Elites (Haas, Tuck, Ross, Stern) have very similar pay. I believe that Haas' average is higher than Chicago and Kellogg in BW, and 1K lower in US News (if you include bonuses and stuff). Not big enough a difference to forgo $40K of scholarships. :)

But I know what you're saying river, and I think we're definitely agreeing on this one. One good way is to look at each school's employment report, and check how much the average pay is for REAL ESTATE and let that help you with your decisions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3