Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Top 7 no money vs. $100,000+ lower top 20 [#permalink]
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
Can you be a little more specific about your options and your goals? This will help answer the question.

Of Course! Specifically for me I'm looking to jump out of consulting either into VC/PE or into a midsize firm (20-100 Million market cap) with high upside potential and a slant towards high tech industry and products (personally I have an interest in energy usage and efficient operation). Eventually the goal will be to spin-off into my own company.

Currently I'm weighing the accessibility, higher probability of greater earnings straight away and the likelihood of greater network strength at top 7 schools with the relative freedom of minimal debt, a still known commodity (at least at a strong regional level) and a focus on fostering start-up culture at lower-end top 20s.

Looking back on gmatclub I found several threads discussing similar issues for schools several spots lower relatively discussing classmates who regretted their choices (I hope everything worked out for them!). It seems fairly clear that the best choice is the best overall program (let's face it, most of us are hoping to make enough to pay back all our debts within a handful of years), but I was hoping someone who had experienced either side might weigh in!

I know I'm incredibly lucky to have this choice and really do appreciate any and all thoughts!!! :-D :o
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
DCTech87 wrote:
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
Can you be a little more specific about your options and your goals? This will help answer the question.

Of Course! Specifically for me I'm looking to jump out of consulting either into VC/PE or into a midsize firm (20-100 Million market cap) with high upside potential and a slant towards high tech industry and products (personally I have an interest in energy usage and efficient operation). Eventually the goal will be to spin-off into my own company.

Currently I'm weighing the accessibility, higher probability of greater earnings straight away and the likelihood of greater network strength at top 7 schools with the relative freedom of minimal debt, a still known commodity (at least at a strong regional level) and a focus on fostering start-up culture at lower-end top 20s.

Looking back on gmatclub I found several threads discussing similar issues for schools several spots lower relatively discussing classmates who regretted their choices (I hope everything worked out for them!). It seems fairly clear that the best choice is the best overall program (let's face it, most of us are hoping to make enough to pay back all our debts within a handful of years), but I was hoping someone who had experienced either side might weigh in!

I know I'm incredibly lucky to have this choice and really do appreciate any and all thoughts!!! :-D :o

have u applied to schools yet? are you deciding? if so, between which - it would be helpful to know more details? otherwise, is this just a hypothetical question?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
old1442 wrote:
DCTech87 wrote:
JimGMATPrepster wrote:

have u applied to schools yet? are you deciding? if so, between which - it would be helpful to know more details? otherwise, is this just a hypothetical question?

Guess I was trying to avoid that part ha. In to Kellogg & CBS v. Mccombs for $$$
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Kudos
[/quote]

have u applied to schools yet? are you deciding? if so, between which - it would be helpful to know more details? otherwise, is this just a hypothetical question?[/quote]

Guess I was trying to avoid that part ha. In to Kellogg & CBS v. Mccombs for $$$[/quote]

Glad you shared.. we're in a similar boat. I'm happy to chat. I'll PM you.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Having been through the process, I will tell you that non-traditional career paths are all about networking. Your best bet is probably to pack your bags for New York because it has the largest market for PE. The start-up community here is solid as well so I am sure there are VC opportunities if you look hard enough.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts