Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top Business School Rejects Applicants For Essay Plagiarism!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Top Business School Rejects Applicants For Essay Plagiarism! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
From Dr. Shel Watts, http://www.mbaadmit.com

[highlight]Ask about our Buy-1-Get-1-Free Gold Package Special - Valid through February 25, 2012.[/highlight]

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.

Hi Everyone,

If you have not heard about this recent story regarding UCLA Anderson School of Management's decision to reject applicants recently due to admissions essay plagiarism, you should read up! The Anderson School now checks essay content using anti-plagiarism software from Turnitin, which can check essay content with text in an extensive archive of written work. You can expect that many other business schools will follow suit.

We all know that MBA admissions is highly competitive and that outstanding essays are a key part of an effort to gain admission to the top business schools, many of which admit only 15% of all applicants. But, don't be tempted to plagiarize! Also, if you are using an admissions consultant, make sure that YOU write your essays, not the consultant. You don't want to question where the content came from.

I agree with Anderson: plagiarism is wholly unacceptable. Indeed, when I was a professor at Harvard, I had a student kicked out of graduate school for turning in a plagiarized paper to me. I have zero tolerance for such matters, and I affirm any graduate school that also has a zero tolerance policy.

Happily, it is believed that only 1-2% of applicants to business school might be plagiarizing content for their essays. But if you are found by a business school to be in that number, you will not likely have another viable shot for admission to the particular business school in question. Business schools take your ethics seriously, and one particular weakness most candidates cannot work around when applying to a top business school is a disciplinary mark on their record for cheating or plagiarizing. A business school does not want to think that in a few years they will open the Wall St. Journal to read that one of their graduates was caught for some egregious business scandal. That is damaging to their brand. They will seek instead to weed out any candidate they think has questionable ethics. So, take care as you compose your MBA admissions essays: don't plagiarize! If you use someone else's words, like a quote, use quotation marks and attribute the words to the relevant person.

Here is the link below to the article about this:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-plagiarism-20120129,0,2954802.story

Good luck in your admissions process!

Best wishes,
Shelly Watts
MBA Admit.com

Email: mbaadmit@aol.com
http://www.mbaadmit.com

Why pay $3700 for assistance with 1 application? Our "Early Bird" options: $925 for 1 application (Basic Package) and a Buy-1-Get-1-Set-Free at the regular Gold Package Rate. Contact Dr. Watts for details.

MBA Admit.com: Proudly, one of the most affordable top-quality MBA admissions consulting companies, with prices nearly 50% lower than our direct competitors.

Dr. Shel Watts is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford who has Harvard admissions experience. At MBAAdmit.com, "Dr. Shel" provides--at nearly 50% lower pricing than many comparable competitors--excellent MBA essay editing services and comprehensive admissions consulting, including one-to-one strategizing, essay development, school selection, GMAT advice, interview preparation, and recommendation advice. http://www.mbaadmit.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Top Business School Rejects Applicants For Essay Plagiarism! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
duh!

what were these guys thinking - i mean, seriously...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top Business School Rejects Applicants For Essay Plagiarism! [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 02:43
Honesty is always the best policy.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 114

Re: Top Business School Rejects Applicants For Essay Plagiarism! [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 09:14
This should be a lesson to EVERYONE out there.

1) More schools will be checking for plagiarism
2) Use a reputable consulting company if you seek help on your essays. They will not write your essays, only push you in the right direction.
3) Anyone that claims they will write your essay, do NOT use them.
4) Don't plagiarize - you won't get into your schools and you might be blacklisted from all the schools of your choice. Especially if they share info.

Kudos to Anderson!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 1992
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Top Business School Rejects Applicants For Essay Plagiarism! [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 08:07
This is a great post. A colleague of mine who worked on the Wharton admissions committee says that he could recognize "canned" applications from some of the admissions "consulting" companies in his (non-English speaking) country.

The New York Times test applies to business school applications. If you'd be embarrassed by anything on (or about) your application if it found its way to the New York Times, then don't write it. Beyond the ethical question, the truth will out, and it can crash and burn your career.

Laura Freedman
Access Education
Re: Top Business School Rejects Applicants For Essay Plagiarism!   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2012, 08:07