Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top college graduates are having more difficulty

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Top college graduates are having more difficulty [#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 08:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
1.Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?
(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.
(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.
(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.
(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.
(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honor degree.

Pls explain to me,too . Thanks in advance.

cool

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 09:51
I was down to B & A. And picked A because it seems better to me. What say guys..

Javed.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 09:57
IMO A

students today are no better than the students in the past
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 10:15
A....20 year back only 10% students use to get distinction.
Now its 50%.
And argument says that this phenomenal increase is due to grade inflation.

This is only true if the quality of student, in all these years, is same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 10:33
What is wrong with B?

Javed.

Cheers!
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 10:44
Another A for same reasons as cited by apache
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 11:01
As i've stated before, these post are only useful if individuals will contribute some type of explanation with their posts, not just A.B.C, etc. :?

The way the question stem is; "Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?"

I was leaning towards this being a justify the conclusion, but i'm fairly confident that this is an assumption question.

Want to concentrate on two things with this type of question:
(*) The correct answer to an assumption question is a statement the author must believe in order for the conclusion to make sense.

(*) Because the statement must be somthing the author believed when forming the argument, assumption answer choices cannot contain extranerous information.

Now, on to the possible answers:
D) "It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs." You can cross this off your list immediately, as you see no mention of LOW GRADES in the passage.

E) "Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honor degree". Again, this can be crossed off you list, as you see no mention what-so-ever about the "criteria" in the passage.

C) "Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions". Nope, cross this one off as well. I'll tell you why for two reasons.

(1) Directly in the passage you see "Today's employers are less impressed with the honors degree", which is exactly the reverse of our "possible" answer.
(2) Take the contrapositive of the possible answer choice and it's turned into "Today's employers DO NOT rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decision". By doing this you see that the argument is not weakened in any form.

Now we are left with A and B... hmmm, which it seems about half the responses are A while the other half are B.

I'm sorry but I feel that A is wrong:
(A)"Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago."
-Unless I miss read the passage I see NO MENTION of higher achievers. Even further, taking the contrapositive you get: "Today's students ARE high achiever than the students of twent years ago". And besides, no mention of grade inflation in this possible answer.

by P.O.E. i'm going with B.

Please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Joe.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 12:11
Very well explained by Euclid
but i think A is correct.

Conclusion is
to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
now this means that 50% of student, though they have got distinction are not competent enough as the students who use to get distinction 20 years back.which is only possible if both the sets are not comparable.

B statement says
Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.
This statement is just out of scope.
It the inflation of grade which is causing the increase in degree awarded.
Not the other way round.

PS-Grade inflation(which i think)-suppose 20 years back A grade was awarded for 70-80% .Now A grade is awarded at 65-75%.
now the increase in grades is due to the students in the range 65-70%.

Last edited by apache on 22 May 2007, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 May 2007, 12:12
OA please
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

cr [#permalink] New post 23 May 2007, 08:42
The correct answer is A

cool

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 May 2007, 09:05
Very well explained apache

Javed.

Cheers!
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
CR-Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 07:07
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Todays employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.

Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?

(A) Todays students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.

(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.

(C) Todays employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.

(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.

(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.

Conclusion:Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.

Reason for the conclusion or evidence - Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Todays employers are less impressed with the honors degree.

Assumption : Employers look at honors when making hiring decision.

The above was my thought process when I picked C. Obviously that not the OA. Cna someone explain what the flaw in my reasoning?
CR-Top college graduates   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2008, 07:07