Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top college graduates are having more difficulty

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Top college graduates are having more difficulty [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2004, 12:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today┬б┬пs employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class, Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.

Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?

(A) Today's students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.

(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.

(C) Today's employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.

(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.

(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2004, 12:25
A looks fine to me. If today's students are better achiever, then we could not blame the grade increasee on grade inflation. A has to be assumed for the argument to stand

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2004, 12:31
anandnk wrote:
I will go with B on this one.

:oops: I immediately saw my error. You are right

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2004, 12:36
Hi Paul,

I refered dictionary to check the meaning of honors. I believe honors means high grades. If that is the case then B stands out. Otherwise A is probably right. I believe the reasoning behind my choosing of B is not correct. I was debating between A and B. I rejected A because I thought awarding degrees is making more qualified people in the work force and employers think that probably the courses are easy. However A is good because it compares apples to apples in the sense that students in two different times are equal in their capability.

Anand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2004, 12:42
Have to say A and B are pretty close...

'Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class'...

the stem itself gives the clue...grade inflation increase the percentage of ppl graduatiing with honors....and the conclusion follows.

so the conclusion assumes that...'Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades'

Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2004, 13:42
Hmmm, so honors does not mean "high grades" then...

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2004, 13:56
Hi Paul,

I guess it does not matter what "honors" means. A is the best answer. This is always the trick in CR when you compare two things. Argument holds good when apples are compared to apples. I have seen many questions that test this concept in many different ways. For example the grizly bear CR.

Anand.
  [#permalink] 25 Mar 2004, 13:56