Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their [#permalink]
Medium difficulty

(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago. Good enough to not cancel out. Plays the defender role. Negation technique: If students today were higher achievers, then schools would not need to inflate grades, thereby weakening the conclusion.

(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades. Reverse causal relationship. It really weakens the conclusion, whereas an assumption would either defend or strengthen the relationship. We are looking for an assumption.

(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions. Making hiring decisions is out of scope; furthermore, this weakens the conclusion.

(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs. Didn't feel right because the relationship that needs defending is grade inflation -> meaningless honors

(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree Out of scope. That said, this would even weaken the relationship. If employers made decisions based off honors, then the criteria would be meaningful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their [#permalink]
what's wrong with C. If I negate C and employer's don't rely on honors degree's rankings to make decisions than the colleges don't need to control inflated grades because it doesn't matter to employers.....
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
bankerboy30 wrote:
what's wrong with C. If I negate C and employer's don't rely on honors degree's rankings to make decisions than the colleges don't need to control inflated grades because it doesn't matter to employers.....

The argument gives you "Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Thehonors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class."

then how can (C) be an assumption?
(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.

The argument clearly states that they don't rely much on honors degree anymore. An assumption needs to strengthen our argument. (C) doesn't do that.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mrinal2100 wrote:
WHATS WRONG WITH B

B - Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.
Actually it is the reverse. Inflated grades lead to too many honors degrees. And this is already mentioned in the stimulus.
An assumption is a necessary premise that is missing from the stimulus. It strengthens the conclusion. If the assumption is negated, the conclusion breaks apart.

Conclusion here is: to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.

The author is assuming that grades are inflated. That today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago. If it is true, then his conclusion strengthens. Colleges must take steps to control grade inflation is they want to restore confidence in their degrees.

Let's negate the assumption (A)
If today's students are actually higher achievers and that is the reason why 50% of them get honors degrees, then author's conclusion - to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation - has no merit. Then the grades are not inflated.

I understood your point, but could not understand, if today's students are actually higher achievers, then why they are facing difficulty in demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago. Would you please make me clear?
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.

Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?

(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago. -Lets hold on to this one as it seems correct.
(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades. -Opposite of the premise
(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions. -Out of scope
(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs. -Out of scope
(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree -Out of scope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
The answer is A.

B states the inverse of what the passage says. Grade inflation is why much more honors degrees are awarded, not vice-versa. The information that C presents goes against what the passage says. The passage says that today’s employers care much less about honors rankings, which implies that they are not relying on them. D is simply irrelevant. E goes against the conclusion. The conclusion states a course of action that the colleges must take to restore confidence in their degrees, but E suggests a different course of action. If the author was to make this assumption, they would not wrie this conclusion. A is the right answer because this assumption removes the possibility that the colleges are not inflating grades and that there are much more honors degrees being awarded because today’s students are just higher achievers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma,

I was wondering could you please explain why option B is incorrect when we negate it?

Negated option B: Awarding too many honors degrees does not cause colleges to inflate grades. I know we are given the opposite of this in our argument but when we negate this option, doesn't it weaken the conclusion?

If you could please help clear my confusion, I would greatly appreciate it!
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
csaluja wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma,

I was wondering could you please explain why option B is incorrect when we negate it?

Negated option B: Awarding too many honors degrees does not cause colleges to inflate grades. I know we are given the opposite of this in our argument but when we negate this option, doesn't it weaken the conclusion?

If you could please help clear my confusion, I would greatly appreciate it!

Negating an assumption needs to break the conclusion.

Negated (B): Awarding too many honors degrees does not cause colleges to inflate grades.

Conclusion: To restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation

What happens to grades when colleges award too many honors degrees is irrelevant. In fact, there is no connection. It is because of grade inflation that too many donors degrees are given. Hence, this statement does not make sense that awarding too many honors degrees causes (or does not cause) grade inflation.
Option (B) and its negation make no sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
x97agarwal wrote:
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.

Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?

(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.

(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.

(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.

(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.

(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree

Why can't (C) be the answer?
If the employers don't rely on honours ranking, wouldn't the whole argument collapse?
If they don't rely on honours ranking, it doesn't matter whatever the colleges do to control grade inflation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Stanford '25
Send PM
Super easy if you follow my way.
Conc:-to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
pre:- Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class.
Ask this question under what condition is the conclusion not true?
What if gradeflation is not the reason behind restoring confidence? What if today's students are overachivers.
These conditions under which the conclusion does not hold true/will break this argument.
Now let's negate this to get a presumed assumption. Students should not be overachivers or gradeflation is the only reason for such increase. No other cause is there.
Let's go back to the question with this understanding

(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago. Yes, if this is true gradeflation is the only reason. Negate it and the conclusion breaks.

(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades. Out of scope

(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions. don't know what they rely on. Not our concern.

(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs. Out of scope

(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree. opposite effect instead of taking steps to control gradeflation they are going to explain the employers
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts