Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top college graduates are having more difficulty

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 2

Top college graduates are having more difficulty [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 10:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:30) correct 50% (01:07) wrong based on 2 sessions
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?
(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.
(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.
(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.
(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.
(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 11:37
noboru wrote:
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?
(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.
(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.
(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.
(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.
(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.



B. Since grade inflation is the problem, the honors degree is also the problem and that shows in B.
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 2

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 11:54
shaselai wrote:
noboru wrote:
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?
(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.
(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.
(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.
(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.
(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.



B. Since grade inflation is the problem, the honors degree is also the problem and that shows in B.


That is...NOT CORRECT
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 12:06
noboru wrote:
shaselai wrote:
noboru wrote:
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?
(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.
(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.
(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.
(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.
(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.



B. Since grade inflation is the problem, the honors degree is also the problem and that shows in B.


That is...NOT CORRECT

E? that wouldve been my 2nd choice since it will help to weed out "fake honors". A is close 2nd though
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 220
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 12:13
I think C should be the answer. If employers dont rely on honors degree at all, then there is no need to restore confidence. So they must be relying on honors degree to atleast some extent...whats the OA, noboru?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 2

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 14:06
B, E and C?

Any more takers?

The answer has not been discovered yet...
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 19:26
My choice is A.

Because college inflates the grades thus more students get Honors degree.
So there are more students with honors degree and causing it to less valuable.
Since now 50% of the class is having the honors degree thus employer also doesnt give a damn about
this distinction.

If college puts grade inflation measures then again honors degree students will decrease, that means they
are no more higher achiever than students of 20 years ago.

Please let me know if my reasoning is wrong?

-STL
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 852
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 106

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 10:01
lalmanistl wrote:
My choice is A.

Because college inflates the grades thus more students get Honors degree.
So there are more students with honors degree and causing it to less valuable.
Since now 50% of the class is having the honors degree thus employer also doesnt give a damn about
this distinction.

If college puts grade inflation measures then again honors degree students will decrease, that means they
are no more higher achiever than students of 20 years ago.

Please let me know if my reasoning is wrong?

-STL


Agree With A.

I think assumption is in this sentence: "Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class."

They assume that students with honors degree don't deserve it and got this degree because of grade inflation. So they are assuming that students haven't improved in last 20 years.
_________________

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 2

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 10:16
sudeep wrote:
lalmanistl wrote:
My choice is A.

Because college inflates the grades thus more students get Honors degree.
So there are more students with honors degree and causing it to less valuable.
Since now 50% of the class is having the honors degree thus employer also doesnt give a damn about
this distinction.

If college puts grade inflation measures then again honors degree students will decrease, that means they
are no more higher achiever than students of 20 years ago.

Please let me know if my reasoning is wrong?

-STL


Agree With A.

I think assumption is in this sentence: "Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class."

They assume that students with honors degree don't deserve it and got this degree because of grade inflation. So they are assuming that students haven't improved in last 20 years.


That is the point.
Congratulations.
OA: A
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 266
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 23

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 12:59
This topic needs to be moved to CR.

shaselai,
B is wrong. It's not an assumption that helps the conclusion. It also just reverses the cause-effect chain in the passage: Passage says grade inflation causes too many honors, B says too many honors causes inflation.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2009
Posts: 362
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 16

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 23:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
sudeep wrote:
lalmanistl wrote:
My choice is A.

Because college inflates the grades thus more students get Honors degree.
So there are more students with honors degree and causing it to less valuable.
Since now 50% of the class is having the honors degree thus employer also doesnt give a damn about
this distinction.

If college puts grade inflation measures then again honors degree students will decrease, that means they
are no more higher achiever than students of 20 years ago.

Please let me know if my reasoning is wrong?

-STL


Agree With A.

I think assumption is in this sentence: "Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class."

They assume that students with honors degree don't deserve it and got this degree because of grade inflation. So they are assuming that students haven't improved in last 20 years.


That is the point.
Congratulations.
OA: A


I disagree with you.
IMO E.

Situation :

graduates are having difficulty demonstrating their superiority to employers than did the students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough.
Today employers are less impressed with the honors degree because they are aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree and which eventually is causing the grade inflation. .

To restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation assumed that the steps they take or the new criteria they impose is known to the employers. So , in order to make sure that the plan works , Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.

(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.
_________________

Lahoosaher

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2009
Posts: 111
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 21:54
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 486
Location: Bangalore,India
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 338

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 03:03
Very happy i Chose A
:-D
_________________

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 266
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 3

Re: Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2009, 08:54
Go with Mendelay's logic for eliminating [B] and that leaves option [A] to be the only valid one..
Re: Top college graduates   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2009, 08:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Top college graduates are having more difficulty kripalkavi 6 23 Jan 2007, 07:05
Top college graduates are having more difficulty mahesh004 23 02 Jun 2006, 11:06
Top college graduates are having more difficulty beyondinfinity 9 05 May 2006, 11:48
Top college graduates are having more difficulty rahulraao 2 15 Nov 2005, 15:43
Top college graduates are having more difficulty Vithal 21 20 Mar 2005, 12:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Top college graduates are having more difficulty

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.