Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top college graduates are having more difficulty

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 25

Top college graduates are having more difficulty [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

53% (03:06) correct 47% (01:59) wrong based on 110 sessions
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?
(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.
(B) Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades.
(C) Today’s employers rely on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.
(D) It is not easy for students with low grades to obtain jobs.
(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.

Cheers,
SD

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 22

Re: CR -- Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 07:43
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Top college graduates are having more difficulty demonstrating their superiority to prospective employers than did the top students of twenty years ago when an honors degree was distinction enough. Today’s employers are less impressed with the honors degree. Twenty years ago no more than 10 percent of a given class graduated with honors. Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.
Which one of the following is an assumption that, if true, would support the conclusion in the passage?
(A) Today’s students are not higher achievers than the students of twenty years ago.
(E) Colleges must make employers aware of the criteria used to determine who receives an honors degree.

My take is B. It goes in-line with the conclusion - Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Re: CR -- Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:02
B
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Marshall
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 0

Re: CR -- Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
IMO (A)

If we assume that A is true and that today's students are not higher achievers than students of twenty years ago, then knowing that there is an increase in honors awards and thus grade inflation, it supports the idea that colleges must take steps to control grade inflation (thus restoring employers' confidence).

B is not true. Awarding too many honors degrees would cause colleges to deflate (if this is a word) grades in the future. The colleges inflating grades causes too many honors degrees to be awarded (the reverse of the idea stated in B).

Last edited by deom on 11 Feb 2010, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 8

Re: CR -- Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 15:06
This post received
KUDOS
SudiptoGmat wrote:

This is a defender assumption question. What 'A' does is it protects the argument by eliminating the idea that weakens it!

The author clearly thinks that grade inflation is responsible for the current situation and nothing else. "colleges must take steps to control grade inflation."
Meaning that having higher achieving students could account for more honor degrees thus weakening the argument that grade inflation is responsible.

I don't see how B is correct at all. If anything, besides being a false negation of the premise, it's irrelevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: CR -- Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 22:45
Suvorov explained it well. OA is A.

Cheers,
SD

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: CR -- Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 10:31
But the aim of the grades' revision is to make the grades more reliable for the employers, so we are assuming that the employers are actually relying on honors ranking in making their hiring decisions.

What do u think about that?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 23

Re: Top college graduates are having more difficulty [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 02:22
what 's wrong with 'D'

any explanation for all the answer choices in details??

Thriving for CHANGE

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 85

Re: CR -- Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 02:52
SudiptoGmat wrote:

I think B must be the correct answer ?! please are you sure about the OA posted?

From the stem,

Today, however, because of grade inflation, the honors degree goes to more than 50 percent of a graduating class. Therefore, to restore confidence in the degrees they award, colleges must take steps to control grade inflation.

B states clearly that Awarding too many honors degrees causes colleges to inflate grades and therefore it really goes in-line with the conclusion ?!

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 17

Re: CR -- Top college graduates [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
Rock750 wrote:
SudiptoGmat wrote:

I think B must be the correct answer ?! please are you sure about the OA posted?

Well since I am solving a bunch of these I will toss my two cents, moreover I think that bumping this thread is quite beneficial.

( This statement is strictly necessary, try to negate it: if today's students are effectively high scorers then the honors degree are fairly awarded to them because they deserve it, perhaps teachers should craft harder tests or whatever...Anyways, the argument falls, this is the right assumption.

(I honestly ended up scrapping this because it's a quite obvious statement, it is already stated in the passage that today honors degrees are given to the majority of students and this caused to inflate grades and that consequently employers don't really care anymore about honor degrees. Since this idea is already clear in the passage it can't be at the same time an unstated idea, sure it's necessary but it's not unstated, therefore it's not an assumption.)

( This statement focuses on the wrong chunk of informations, it does not address our issue, therefore it's wrong.)

(This is totally out of scope...wrong.)

(why should they do that? If my taste standards for apples became stricter during the last few months it doesn't make sense to make the grocery store, which I usually purchase apples from, aware that my standards are changed, it is easier to either lower my standards or look for a store that fits my new standards. I am sorry for the digression here. This answer is out of scope, it doesn't address our main issue)

I hope this helps...

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Re: CR -- Top college graduates   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2013, 11:31