Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top Full time MBA-worth it for my career aspirations?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Top Full time MBA-worth it for my career aspirations? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 16:22
Hi,

I am an IT professional with 8 years of work experience with supply chain systems and for the last four years I have been working for a specialty retail company. So far, my work experience has touched varied supply chain systems that support variety of supply chain functions like purchasing, inventory management, distribution and logistics and warehousing. I work as an analyst so I work very closely with the supply chain managers and processes. I hold PMP and APICS certifications.

Now, I want to move to the other side i.e. the business side. By that I mean, I'd like to work in the operations/vendor management/product management functions with a P&L responsibility in retail or CPG setting. I understand a top full time MBA would make it easy for me but by the time I will sit in the MBA class I will be 32 years old. I am 30 now and I think it will take atleast 2 years to prepare myself to have a good shot at top MBA programs(I am yet to give GMAT)

Do you think doing a full time MBA is the only route to achieve the career change that I am looking for? I am asking you to compare full time MBA with other type of top MBA programs like Duke cross continent, Chapel Hill/Kelley online MBA in my case? I am trying to internally move to some roles that match my career aspirations within my current employer but I don't think it will work out.

How about the ROI of a top full time MBA like Darden(I live in Richmond-Darden would be my first choice if I decide on FT MBA). My current salary is between 100K to 110K. You can also consider that my career aspirations will not change post MBA as I am not interested in lucrative banking/consulting career.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Top Full time MBA-worth it for my career aspirations? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 05:47
Expert's post
You are pretty ideally suited for a PT MBA program. You have a job that pays well, so it would be a big sacrifice to lose that income for two years in a FT program. Most people going to FT programs are trying to get to the point they are working a job that makes that much AFTER their MBA. Age can be a factor too, since many top schools begin to snub older candidates (this is less of a concern, since I myself was 31 when I matriculated at a top 5 program, but still, it can sometimes factor in depending on the program you choose). The average age of PT programs is usually several years higher than FT. The good news is, the answer to your main question is NO, FT programs are not the only way to make your career transition. In fact, these days good PT programs allow you to access the same recruiter interview options that the FT students do and access to the career center is a real asset. Make sure you investigate how true this is for your target PT programs--this could influence which programs you apply to. Also, recruiters have shifted over the years to think of the Part Time MBAs as the same. Certainly the degree is the same--most good b-schools use the same faculty and curriculum for their FT and PT programs. And of course it will say MBA on your resume and diploma in the end, not Part time MBA. I have even heard stories where recruiters FAVOR the part time students because they know for a fact they are hard workers if they can carry school and work at the same time. Think about your own case. If you were a recruiter, wouldn't you prefer someone with 8-10 years of experience over someone with 2-3? Generally you would be considered more stable, more mature and more likely to have had real leadership experience. If I were you, I would think about keeping the job, making a couple more years of income and finding a highly ranked PT program that you can attend.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 59

Re: Top Full time MBA-worth it for my career aspirations? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 06:06
Hi Bryan, for people as considerably high career changers, like I am, from hotel operations management to full time finance, note I have no experience in Finance that MBA program refers to, though as a senior manager I am required to deal with financial aspects relating to operations, will the justifications still hold good....though I am preparing for FT, yet the thought of not earning an year is forcing me to consider 1 year programs....

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post

Re: Top Full time MBA-worth it for my career aspirations? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 05:46
Expert's post
You don't need to show up to b-school with tons of finance knowledge--that's why you're going back to school. Others will come bringing finance experience to the table. You simply offer something else. As for one year programs, it's generally not the best option unless you have a good bit of business education already (you didn't say if business was your undergrad major or not). Also consider this from Poets & Quants : "If you’re intent on picking up your MBA in a single year, your options of attending one of the very best schools in the world narrow considerably. In the U.S., for example, only nine of the top business schools ranked by Poets&Quants offer one-year options." I would say if you end up targeting one year programs, you should really only be looking at Kellogg, Emory and Cornell, and keep in mind it will leave some very significant gaps in your education vs. a PT or FT MBA program.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 59

Re: Top Full time MBA-worth it for my career aspirations? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 09:59
Hi Brian, thanks for your response. Briefly, I am a hotel school graduate with 12 years of experience, last 6 years into management operations. have done my distance learning diploma in business admin specialized in financial management. FT programs sounds scary, since I cant leave my job. PT programs, Canadian schools r prior considerations - since I am moving there. Richard Ivey is in my list. the school offers 1 year program, will it then suit to do PT/FT...or EMBA. UT is also on my list. US schools I will try, but not sure how it will work out for me, move to Canada and then study in US...

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post

Re: Top Full time MBA-worth it for my career aspirations? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 20:05
Expert's post
Generally its a good idea to go to school in the region where you plan to work, so I would agree that your plan to go to school in Canada has merit given your post MBA desire to work in Canada.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews