Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Send PM
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink]
2 questions:

1) Why few MBA grads opt for LDP - LDP offers good salary and opportunities to quickly rise(which in turn means more power and more increase in salary in less time)
2) What is difference b/w rotational / non-rotational & which is better
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Great info. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
The low number in LDPs is because there aren’t that many LDP spots out there. In the case, of LDP vs non-LDP cross offers, I think LDP wins out most of the time.

I think you meant non-LDPs win most of the time

Quote:
1) The industry/role doesn’t typically have LDP programs. For example, those interested in entrepreneurship, marketing in CPG companies, consulting, investment banking.

I am from semiconductor industry so it would be great if can get some comparitively good paying job in same field post-mba. I decided to do involve in pure MBA domains e.g. marketing, invest banking etc. because i thought semiconductor domain does not have equally good paying opportunities after MBA. Is it true ??

Thanks to you who provided info about Intel LDP. Also, if i work in semiconductor domain my work exp. (4yrs + few patents) will be considered. Are there any other good programs for me

Quote:
2) Some married people cannot handle the rotational nature of LDPs. Although some LDPs allow participants to only rotate roles and not location.
3) The location of the rotations may not be attractive. This is especially true of manufacturing companies, in which the factories aren’t located in big metropolises.

i am an avid traveler and what better than relocating on company's expenses. I know it will not be easy once i am married but me and my gf are up for it

Quote:
4) The LDP isn’t a real LDP. For example, Citi’s rotational program only rotates people, but does not provide any other benefits.

I did not get this, do you mean LDP has lower pay scale

Quote:
benefits outweigh the downsides

I fully agree to such an extent that i can discount few $K to get into a rotational program. One Question here: lets say i get in to INTEL's rotational LDP, go through all fields and decide to work in Finance in Intel. After working for few years, can i switch to pure financial mgmt. company lets say JP Morgan. Just a vague thought, wanted to know how different is a particular domain (finance here) in different industries (intel & JP Morgan) and how difficult it would be to switch b/w companies
VP
VP
Send PM
vikram4689 wrote:
I think you meant non-LDPs win most of the time
Situation: A student has an offer for a LDP position, and another offer for an analyst position (non-LDP). The student is more likely to take the LDP offer.
Quote:
I did not get this, do you mean LDP has lower pay scale
Some company's LDP is a LDP in name only. Any company can create a LDP, but the responsibilities, career progressions, and other benefits are not the same.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asimov - I know there are a wide variety of LDPs and how good they are depend on one's specific needs - but can you comment on which LDPs are generally considered more reputable and have a better career progression?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks asimov, your replies will help many of us to make well-informed decisions. Two questions:

1) I am from semiconductor industry(4+yrs and few patents) so it would be great if can get comparitively good paying job in same field post-mba. I decided to do involve in pure MBA domains e.g. marketing, invest banking etc. because i thought semiconductor domain does not have equally good paying opportunities (vs consulting, marketing) after MBA. Is it true ?? and what are good LDPs for me

2) lets say i get in to INTEL's rotational LDP, get through all rotations and decide to work in Finance in Intel. After working for few years, can i switch to pure financial mgmt. company lets say JP Morgan. Just a vague thought, wanted to know how different is a particular domain (finance here) in different industries (intel & JP Morgan) and how difficult it would be to switch b/w companies
VP
VP
Send PM
stompy wrote:
Asimov - I know there are a wide variety of LDPs and how good they are depend on one's specific needs - but can you comment on which LDPs are generally considered more reputable and have a better career progression?

I, along with riverripper, think the smaller LDPs tend to be better. I don't have an extensive list of LDPs, since many do not publish. Given my interactions here at Fuqua, I feel the following:
Some of good LDPs I’ve come across:
• Sears – medium class size with mentorship and director level exit.
• Tenet – small class size (~4) with mentorship, hospital CEO within 5 years.
• HCA – small class size (~4) with mentorship, hospital CFO within 5 years.
• Nissan – small class size (~5) with mentorship, director level exit.

vikram4689 wrote:
thanks asimov, your replies will help many of us to make well-informed decisions. Two questions:

1) I am from semiconductor industry(4+yrs and few patents) so it would be great if can get comparitively good paying job in same field post-mba. I decided to do involve in pure MBA domains e.g. marketing, invest banking etc. because i thought semiconductor domain does not have equally good paying opportunities (vs consulting, marketing) after MBA. Is it true ?? and what are good LDPs for me

2) lets say i get in to INTEL's rotational LDP, get through all rotations and decide to work in Finance in Intel. After working for few years, can i switch to pure financial mgmt. company lets say JP Morgan. Just a vague thought, wanted to know how different is a particular domain (finance here) in different industries (intel & JP Morgan) and how difficult it would be to switch b/w companies

1. I'm not completely understanding what you are asking. But if pay is your primary objective, industry in general doesn't pay as well as consulting or investment banking (but you also work less hours). But you should live pretty comfortably on a salary from a top tier MBA program.
2. I really don't know the transition into financial service post industry.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
what are the average work hours,starting pay post-mba, average annual increment, bonus/perks for industry vs consulting vs investment banking
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
vikram4689 wrote:
what are the average work hours,starting pay post-mba, average annual increment, bonus/perks for industry vs consulting vs investment banking

Industry
This is incredibly variable.

Consulting
Check out www.managementconsulted.com.

Investment Banking
Check out www.mergersandinquisitions.com.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I know Genetech has some good LDPs. Was talking with some guy from Wharton who was doing a marketing rotation and he seemed pretty happy with it
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:

Industry
This is incredibly variable.

Consulting
Check out https://www.managementconsulted.com.

Investment Banking
Check out https://www.mergersandinquisitions.com.

each consulting company's salary is much greater than average of most of b-schools. Is it always the case ?? If yes, which jobs bring down the average (just wanted to know so as to know that i dont want to get into that) :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
vikram4689 wrote:
each consulting company's salary is much greater than average of most of b-schools. Is it always the case ?? If yes, which jobs bring down the average (just wanted to know so as to know that i dont want to get into that) :)
If money is the most important thing that you care about, there are better ways to earn that money than getting an MBA.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I'm looking to advance my career in Asia, specifically, China. Does anyone have insights into how to best navigate the corporate ladder in China?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JeremyLin wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
If money is the most important thing that you care about, there are better ways to earn that money than getting an MBA.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I'm looking to advance my career in Asia, specifically, China. Does anyone have insights into how to best navigate the corporate ladder in China?

At least i am not faking which is clearly evident about you from your profile using name & pic of famous Basket baller and Harvard Grad Jeremy Lin
VP
VP
Send PM
On a completely different note. This thread just made the "Best Forum Posts June 14, 2012".

best-forum-posts-june-134776.html#p1098460
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
stompy wrote:
I know Genetech has some good LDPs. Was talking with some guy from Wharton who was doing a marketing rotation and he seemed pretty happy with it

I've heard mixed things about Genentech. It seems like it probably depends on what product you end up on.
VP
VP
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
I've heard mixed things about Genentech. It seems like it probably depends on what product you end up on.
I have to concur with highhopes. Genentech only converted 1 out 4 Fuqua summer intern offer. Conversion rate can be an indication of the quality of the program. In general, very few people at the company will tell you that their company is bad, unless you have a strong personal relationship. Of course, there are other reasons for low conversion; for example, unattractive location (probably not the case for Genentech).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
asimov wrote:
highhopes wrote:
I have to concur with highhopes. Genentech only converted 1 out 4 Fuqua summer intern offer. Conversion rate can be an indication of the quality of the program. In general, very few people at the company will tell you that their company is bad, unless you have a strong personal relationship. Of course, there are other reasons for low conversion; for example, unattractive location (probably not the case for Genentech).

I am interested in their program, and Genentech has a good reputation for taking care of their employees.
Did it change with Roche's acquisition? I don't know.

Do you mean that 4 summer inters with Genentech were offered a full time position but only 1 accepted it?
Do you know why the conversion rate was low from Fuqua?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5