Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top Leadership Development Programs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 13:11
gmatmba1 wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
2 queries guys:
1. What are the chances of a person from a non-similar background to land into LDP. For e.g. What would be the chances of an Indian IT male to land into LDP of an Healthcare company. (keeping other factors aside e.g selective nature of LDP )

2. What are common traits that companies look for LDP positions. Asking this so that i can focus on these during my MBA


If I may add,
Vikram inquired about change in the industry. What about change in functions within the industry? (pharmaceutical research >> pharmaceutical finance)
what about changing both industry and function? (although, I guess pharmaceutical research cannot really only change industry ..)


First, if we're talking health care (and actually probably not only health care), recruiting is primarily domestic unless you're willing to work in your home country. At least this is the case for marketing, I'm less familiar with finance, but assume it's the same.

Switching industries and functions is difficult but not impossible. Switching industries and switching functions are both do-able, I think switching industries is probably a little easier.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 13:18
RoyHalladay wrote:
highhopes wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
What companies have strong LDPs in the healthcare/biotech area? What are the job opps like after completion?


I would say for the most part, health care companies are not general management type rotational programs, they are generally either marketing LDPs OR finance LDPs, at least if you are looking at products (biotech/pharma/devices). Services/delivery and insurance are often a bit different.

So, many have commercial/marketing LDPs. These would work very similarly to what a CPG company would. You might rotate through different brands or different stages of marketing (market research, early stage, late stage) and then you just pick or interview for a spot on a team at the end. I don't think it's necessarily a huge jump once you finish your LDP. Marketing programs tend to have a very set promotional structure...do this for two years, then do this for four years, etc.

Pharma/biotech companies almost always include a sales rotation, and this might be one of only two rotations.

Pretty much all of the major companies have these. Amgen, Genentech, Merck, J&J, Medtronic, BMS, Lilly. Probably many more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

I think Cigna and Aetna both have LDP programs that do rotate through different functions. I don't know how they exit out though.

Hospital/provider/delivery is just a whole different beast I think. There are a couple that were mentioned earlier that have specific MBA recruiting, but others you have to come through residencies (for which the pay really sucks to start out) and some hospitals just aren't structured the same as a corporation. You might have a performance improvement/quality improvement job in which you end up doing a mix of operations and finance, rather than rotating through departments.


Great info here, thanks. Since there aren't any general management type LDPs in pharma/healthcare, what would be the best path to take to end up in a leadership position at a Merck, J&J, BMS, etc type company? Management Consulting?


I think the track is still the same, it's just that these don't tend to be programs that put you on a fast track, there's a very routine promotional schedule. So it probably just takes a little longer. Also, some companies are "finance driven" v some that are "marketing driven" and sometimes you might even have more impact in a given function.

I don't think consulting is the golden ticket that many people think. To come out with really good exit options, you need to be higher than where most people exit. In a lot of your cases the extra two years that your classmates got working at the company is going to be more valuable than someone that's come in from consulting.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 275
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 16:15
highhopes wrote:
First, if we're talking health care (and actually probably not only health care), recruiting is primarily domestic unless you're willing to work in your home country. At least this is the case for marketing, I'm less familiar with finance, but assume it's the same.

Switching industries and functions is difficult but not impossible. Switching industries and switching functions are both do-able, I think switching industries is probably a little easier.


In case of switching industries lets say from Intel engineer->Mckinsey consultant would my chances of landing into job depend on the summer internship and would my summer internship acceptance depends on the grades in mba ?

if there are any other points that should be taken care please advice
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 20:19
vikram4689 wrote:
highhopes wrote:
First, if we're talking health care (and actually probably not only health care), recruiting is primarily domestic unless you're willing to work in your home country. At least this is the case for marketing, I'm less familiar with finance, but assume it's the same.

Switching industries and functions is difficult but not impossible. Switching industries and switching functions are both do-able, I think switching industries is probably a little easier.


In case of switching industries lets say from Intel engineer->Mckinsey consultant would my chances of landing into job depend on the summer internship and would my summer internship acceptance depends on the grades in mba ?

if there are any other points that should be taken care please advice


I guess I don't really understand what you're asking.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 275
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 22:07
highhopes wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
In case of switching industries lets say from Intel engineer->Mckinsey consultant would my chances of landing into job depend on the summer internship and would my summer internship acceptance depends on the grades in mba ?

if there are any other points that should be taken care please advice


I guess I don't really understand what you're asking.

I am an electronics engineer in Intel. i am evaluating my chances of landing into mckinsey after mba.
1) Would my chances of landing into mckinsey depend on the summer internship ??
2) Also, how would i convince a consulting firm for internship e.g. would my technical background be a hindrance
3) Can i improve my chances of landing into consulting by performing well in MBA exams

I hope i clarified, please tell if i am not clear
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 68
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 07:36
vikram4689 wrote:
highhopes wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
In case of switching industries lets say from Intel engineer->Mckinsey consultant would my chances of landing into job depend on the summer internship and would my summer internship acceptance depends on the grades in mba ?

if there are any other points that should be taken care please advice


I guess I don't really understand what you're asking.

I am an electronics engineer in Intel. i am evaluating my chances of landing into mckinsey after mba.
1) Would my chances of landing into mckinsey depend on the summer internship ??
2) Also, how would i convince a consulting firm for internship e.g. would my technical background be a hindrance
3) Can i improve my chances of landing into consulting by performing well in MBA exams

I hope i clarified, please tell if i am not clear


Hello Vikram,

I am no expert in this, but I'll share what I've learned from my research. so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

1. It wouldn't "depend" on the summer intership, but if you DO get an intership at McKinsey and perform well, you'll have a great chance of landing an offer from M.

2. You can convince the firm by doing well on the case interview.

3. Not really. Again, you will have to ACE the case interview to improve your chances to getting an offer from M.

To answer your overarching question: Your engineering background will not break your candidacy at a consulting firm.
:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 275
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 07:55
just a thought, can i get into mckinsey WITHOUT MBA, i mean if i get a stellar gmat 760+ can i get into mckinsey right away. mckinsey consults semiconductor companies as well. would my experience in semiconductors + high gmat(showing good analytical abilities) be able to get me into mckinsey
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 68
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 08:43
vikram4689 wrote:
just a thought, can i get into mckinsey WITHOUT MBA, i mean if i get a stellar gmat 760+ can i get into mckinsey right away. mckinsey consults semiconductor companies as well. would my experience in semiconductors + high gmat(showing good analytical abilities) be able to get me into mckinsey


I am not sure of your background/experience.

But let me try to answer your q. Yes you can get into McKinsey without MBA as an experienced hire. But your resume and experience have to be stellar to get an interview.
Can someone chime in with more insight on the matter?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Affiliations: CPA
Joined: 09 May 2011
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 12:54
Wow did not know this thread was still going. Great stuff everyone.

To refocus back to the topic of MBA rotational programs:

What's the career path for rotational programs? What happens 10-15 years after you finish a program? From my understanding, you do a two year program and then coming out of it get put in a managerial type role. What do most people do after this? Just keep climbing this corporate ladder? I know the answer probably depends on the company & function, but a general understanding would be nice. Can't seem to find too much online.

One other question: These rotational programs often times have the word "leadership" in them - thus implying a degree of managerial responsibility. Is this a farce? During these rotational programs are you really leading people? Or just being your own "personal leader"?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 27
Location: Ohio
Schools: Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 10:06
Good thread.

I think some of the best LDP programs for manufacturing: Amazon (pathways), Eaton, Whirlpool, BASF, DowChemical

Oil: Exxon, Chevron, BP

Finance: Seems like every company has a good one.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Starting applications, writing essays
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 24
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 23:13
Since we're discussing intell, anyone know about other LDP programs in the Bay Area? I'm thinking adobe, apple, google, maybe tesla, etc.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Posts: 124
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 08:36
Great thread. One company that I have heard about in the Bay Area is Intuit. They have a cross functional LDP; it should be worthwhile to take a look.
_________________

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Current Student
avatar
Status: Prospective Applicant
Joined: 06 Mar 2011
Posts: 80
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 17:18
highhopes wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
What companies have strong LDPs in the healthcare/biotech area? What are the job opps like after completion?


I would say for the most part, health care companies are not general management type rotational programs, they are generally either marketing LDPs OR finance LDPs, at least if you are looking at products (biotech/pharma/devices). Services/delivery and insurance are often a bit different.

So, many have commercial/marketing LDPs. These would work very similarly to what a CPG company would. You might rotate through different brands or different stages of marketing (market research, early stage, late stage) and then you just pick or interview for a spot on a team at the end. I don't think it's necessarily a huge jump once you finish your LDP. Marketing programs tend to have a very set promotional structure...do this for two years, then do this for four years, etc.

Pharma/biotech companies almost always include a sales rotation, and this might be one of only two rotations.

Pretty much all of the major companies have these. Amgen, Genentech, Merck, J&J, Medtronic, BMS, Lilly. Probably many more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

I think Cigna and Aetna both have LDP programs that do rotate through different functions. I don't know how they exit out though.

Hospital/provider/delivery is just a whole different beast I think. There are a couple that were mentioned earlier that have specific MBA recruiting, but others you have to come through residencies (for which the pay really sucks to start out) and some hospitals just aren't structured the same as a corporation. You might have a performance improvement/quality improvement job in which you end up doing a mix of operations and finance, rather than rotating through departments.



As mentioned above, I've noticed that many Pharma companies appear to offer either Marketing or Finance LDPs/rotations. If anyone out there would care to surmise, do you believe that joining one of the Finance rotations would be the beginning of the track to CFO?

Many thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 05:11
All the programs are top leadership development programs if the effort applied to them is sincere. Growth graph may be steady or rapid depending upon the situation and the resources available but sure results of getting success is always there whatever being the stream to to which the person is related.
_________________

Apply for MBA at University Of Tennessee

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 22:06
Interesting Thread. LDP sounds Good.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.16
WE: Underwriter (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 15:29
Does anyone have a consensus list of programs and what their core MBA programs are?
Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1116
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 07:49
Expert's post
dh63396 wrote:
Does anyone have a consensus list of programs and what their core MBA programs are?

There’s not a list out there. I would advise that you look at what industry/function you want to pursue, and then research some of the leading companies to see if there is a LDP available.
_________________

Diversity

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top Leadership Development Programs [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 08:05
Having gone through an LDP/Rotational program myself, here are a few things that I can say:

1. Figure out which industry you want to be in -- if you don't know, go with consulting :p
2. Within your field of interests, find out what the big players are and chances are they have some programs
3. One needs to be at the job for at least 6-8 months to really understand and contribute, so don't pick a program that has many short rotations
4. LDP does not necessarily guarantee success. With the program comes high expectations, and one needs to exceed that to be really successful.
_________________

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Re: Top Leadership Development Programs   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2014, 08:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Consulting vs. Leadership Development Programs blast00 4 08 Nov 2010, 07:34
7 Leadership Development Programs at manufacturing firms Chopperin 23 07 Apr 2010, 07:53
summer leadership program? ajk2010 4 06 May 2009, 18:46
Program for Product development? Puilunchristin 3 11 Sep 2005, 13:30
Television programs developed in conjunction with the chunjuwu 13 30 Oct 2004, 09:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Top Leadership Development Programs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 58 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.