Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 08:49
Has any1 here gotten into a top MBA program with little or no working experience? I am a recent college graduate and interested in going to B-school next year, and thus I wont have any work experience.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 10:17
Also curious as to this
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 12:22
Another post about it here:
is-experience-needed-95475.html

As I posted there, it would be a significant handicap for you if you apply with zero working experience. In fact, some schools like Tuck prohibit those with less than 2 years of working experience from applying.

Even top business schools that are known to be more lenient towards younger applicants have average WE of 4 or more years.

If you really want to apply early, then I suggest you find a job (that somehow relates to business) and stick with it for at least 2 years.

If you have the time and money to waste, came from a top undergrad, perfect GPA (3.8 at the very least), perfect GMAT plus endless awards and connections then maybe you can try applying now. (I believe it also helps if you were successful in making your own start up company) Again, this is for the top business programs. There are probably programs out there that don't rely heavily on WE but that's not the case for the top tier schools.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:22
There's the Harvard 2+2 program, and Stanford admits college seniors as well.
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 19:41
I disagree.

I know some will just write you off with little work experience, but if you have too much they might not want you. You're there to learn, not share your expertise with the teachers.

When I applied, I only had 2.5 years total, and I don't think it hindered my application anywhere.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 20:42
peppermuncher wrote:
There's the Harvard 2+2 program, and Stanford admits college seniors as well.

Harvard's 2+2 is for juniors and they will still need to log 2 years of work.

Stanford is known to accept younger applicants but I still don't think the number is even noticeable. (I've read that the top schools accept literally handfuls, 1-10 each school, of straight from undergrad students) They say they'll look at applicants -- that does not mean the applicants are going to be accepted. If the chance of going to a top school is 10%, what would the chance be for those with no experience? Much less I'd imagine -- would it even be worth the time, effort and money?

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence of the contrary? I've heard of those who quit undergrad, got jobs/joined the army, went back to undergrad and then straight to b-school but never heard of anyone going to b-school straight from undergrad alone.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 21:08
krussell wrote:
I disagree.

I know some will just write you off with little work experience, but if you have too much they might not want you. You're there to learn, not share your expertise with the teachers.

When I applied, I only had 2.5 years total, and I don't think it hindered my application anywhere.

I agree with you're second statement. 2 years seems to be the minimum for applicants (for those who want to stand a good chance of getting accepted).

But, the question is zero/little work experience. (Little as in less than 2 years) Especially in the OP's case of no experience at all. The MBA is supposed to train your managerial skills (How can you lead when you've never had a job before?). Yes, too much experience might be a bad thing because the MBA won't help much but I think the opposite is true too: Too little experience means you bring nothing to the table. A lot of schools use the case method and have students learn in groups where they can share their experiences in their respective fields.

What's more important is that schools will definitely scrutinize the rest of your application more than they would if you were an experienced applicant.

Work experience also gives you time and reasons to access your career and life goals. You would have more to say in your interviews and apps. Maybe you might change your mind about getting an MBA...

I'd also imagine it could adversely affect your recruitment process. MBAs with no job experience don't look too attractive compared to those with experience.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 20:59
it's going to be tough anywhere with 0 full time work experience. if you look at the admission statistics for most of the top schools, inevitably they will list the age range and work experience range, and you'll usually find at least 1 student with 0 work experience. this doesn't mean that they are necessarily receptive to them, however.

i think the most notable top school that accepts younger applicants is HBS. when i visited their campus last fall, you could see in the classes and around the campus that the ratio of younger (aged 24-25) to older students was much higher than at other schools. there have also been a few articles and threads about this phenomenon as well. however, applying out of undergrad is generally not recommended for top schools; smaller regional schools may accept you straight out of undergrad, but the types of job opportunities between those schools and a top national school will be markedly different
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience? [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 07:30
I just don't see how someone with no full time work experience of any kind can be a great help in the business school classroom. I think someone who worked full time or close to it while in college and then went straight to b school can be a big plus however.

Either way, I am certainly in the camp that it's in someone's best interest to work a number of years before going to professional graduate school.

If there is a professional graduate school for people (without hard science degrees) with no full time experience, it's law school. At most of the Top 50 law schools, at least 2/3 (if not even more) of the student body is either right out of college or at most a couple years out of school.
Re: Top MBA programs w/ little or no working experience?   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2011, 07:30