Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

"Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 21:16
Could some of you with consulting experience help me to understand why there's such a huge emphasis to get jobs at "top tier" consultancies rather than less prestigious firms? What's the big benefit? A bit more $? Is the work different, more interesting? Greater future career opportunities?

Maybe I'm being naive, but it seems like the $, work, and future career opportunities would all be great at a less prestigious firm like Deloitte, right?
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB hydrabad, IIMs
WE 1: Steel Authority of India Limited
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Re: "Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 00:30
yes $ really matter!

It should be our prime goal to do something better than any other. so, if i am preparing for some enterace exam why have goal of less prestigious college, whats worng in giving the best effort to join the best college. its not the $ its the thing of person matter after getting good education one can serve the needy without any money. nothing wrong in it.

kumar sanjay
http://sanjay80.blogspot.com

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: "Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 06:15
I worked in Big 4 consulting before attending bschool, and I can tell you that "top Tier" consulting firms are nothing like the second tier consulting firms like Big 4 consulting firms or Accenture, etc. The quality of work, type of assignment, quality of clients, compensation & benefits, networking, and post-consulting opportunities are all significantly different (better) at top tier firms.

Life as a consultant kinda sucks, no matter where you work. You will travel a lot and you will have no such thing as life/work balance. However, at least if you put in few years at top firms, it will pretty much open many doors for you and headhunters will contact you for very lucrative opportunities (not to mention countless of contacts and networks). Same can not be said for second tier firms.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: "Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 10:54
What is the distinction between top tier and 2nd tier firms? I know m/b/b is on the top, but after that where does monitor, booz & co, AT Kearney, Parthenon etc fit in with the big 4ish firms?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: "Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 08:24
Cannot agree more with nink: M/B/B are a golden key to H/S/W not to mention any top 10 school. Actually, Wharton doesn´t like kids with 2 years WE in its class...

However, Big 4 and the like are still a very decent place to start your career. You can develop similar skills than in any top consulting firm and they are renowed worldwide (big plus vs. a boutique) so that you don´t need to waste your time explaining what you did in interviews.

My case: 3 years WE at Big 4 doing actual corporate finance /M&A (no due diligence stuff), attended reputed public undergrad and kicked asses at peers from private schools, now heading to NYC for CBS´12 with GMAT in the low range. No feeling inferior at all.

p.s. Full disclosure: top grades, 3 internships, extracurriculars and the CFA under the belt may have helped
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 10:20
A LONG time ago, I worked at a big 4 too. I think at some of the big 4s you actually get to do implementation work that leads to a high degree of responsibility very early in your career (compared to the type of work you do at M/B/B early on). The brand of M/B/B is the differentiator and will hold you in good stead in any top b-school. However, don't underestimate the Big 4s.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WL), Booth (WL), Kellogg (WL), Ross (ding)
WE 1: public accounting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: "Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 10:14
Big 4 Accounting Firms have a different emphasis - they are big in audit and tax, consulting is secondary business to them, therefore, it cannot be compared to the big 4 consulting firms.

I am coming from PwC - 5.5 yrs there (audit), and hoping to join a big 4 consulting firm after MBA.
Re: "Top Tier" Consulting Firms versus DT, E&Y, etc   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2010, 10:14