Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 09:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
US MBA:
Work my ass off to get into top 15 MBA program. Take at least $70K student loan out of $150K total Cost = Student repayment plan $800 per month or $10,000 a year for next 10 years.

Salary: $100-120K, After Tax: $70-80K, After Student loan payments per year (for next 10 years) = $60-70K Total

Hult MBA Dubai:
With good GMAT score, “western” education and experience, US citizenship = good chances of admission plus up to 30% scholarship

Starting salary =$90-100K (source: Hult website (and payscale, hays, forums etc), Income tax = 0%, Student Loan Debt = 0, $90-100K Total

Extra Notes:
- Get done with MBA in one year and start earning early
- Beat the local talent by “western” education which is valued quite highly in Middle-East.
- If you consider income tax on bonus it is even higher than 30% in US. England even has a higher general income tax at 40%.
- A lot MBA jobs are located in small, not so fun cities. Very few cities in US can match Dubai.
- Over 5000-6000 students graduate from just the top ten MBA schools in US. Competition is extremely brutal.
- If one does not want to be consultant or investment banker, I am not sure salaries are that high.
- You get at least a year while studying at Hult to find a job in UAE which different than doing your MBA from US and then flying to UAE on a visit visa for few weeks to find a job.


Assumptions:

-Obviously I have made some assumptions as I cannot see the future. There will always be exceptions but I have tried to keep all the numbers reasonable.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 09:49
I would recommend staying away from Hult. I don't think you're gonna gain a lot from getting your degree there, certainly not compared to a top MBA.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 09:58
[quote="ebonn101"]I would recommend staying away from Hult. I don't think you're gonna gain a lot from getting your degree there, certainly not compared to a top MBA.

What good is the "reputation" of Cornell or Columbia if the bottom line figure is higher for Hult Dubai?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2010
Posts: 304
Location: Kuwait
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 10:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
aazhar wrote:
ebonn101 wrote:
I would recommend staying away from Hult. I don't think you're gonna gain a lot from getting your degree there, certainly not compared to a top MBA.

What good is the "reputation" of Cornell or Columbia if the bottom line figure is higher for Hult Dubai?


The salary #'s for Hult are definately inflated and not represented for Middle East Employment just FYI. I doubt Hult graduates are getting offers from MBB or Top IBanks and even then the salary for a post MBA for a top US Grad to the region is 100k but i know students from the local top schools for MBA get ~70k.

Columbia is not even on the same page as Cornell which is not on the same page as Hult I'm afraid.

Heres a review from a graduate from the first batch of Hult Dubai graduates.

"1. Career Services (Placement Cell) has not lived upto anyones expectations. Hult Career services helps us by letting us know that we are on our own and expect no help from them.
The career services is just for show and they will give you a lot of time as they are always in their offices instead of visiting executives and companies. A lot many things can be written on Career Services but its waste of time wasting money on a defunct service.

2. The admissions officers may be telling you all big stories of placements but the fact is that only one or two have got a job while studying at Hult Dubai and that too through their own connections. The other 6 to 8 are either on study leave from their companies or have their own businesses prior to joining Hult. So Hult claims in front of the students that they have placed 8. In front of you students they must be saying a higher figure, which is all crap.

In fact the whole staff oh Hult Dubai is Unprofessional including the Dean. When you go to the dean with your queries, he will divert you and talk more of Scuba Diving and trips to Oman etc. So basically the management control is missing and when this happens in any organization, its a disaster.

In fact if you join Hult Dubai, you will be learning Management at the most unmanaged B School.

3. Facilities and infrastructure is mediocre. No Library (U need to walk half a mile to the IMT library). The Classes are small. Not enough Team rooms.
With abatch of 100 we are finding it tough to fit in. Imagine they have planned for 150 or so next batch.

4. Academics:The faculty is excellent. You also get the option of choosing your exam modes, postponing exams if you are underprepared and even not sitting for the exam and requesting a re-exam. All things are possible here.

5. Level of Satisfaction: It frustrates me to answer this question. Only consoling thing is that the Faculty is Excellent. However, in Dubai they are present only during your 10 or 15 day class schedules and then return back to Boston or wherever they work. So the constant source of mentoring is not available unless you want some mentoring for Scuba Diving and Gliding etc. for which the Dean is readily available.

Besides the faculty part, we all are a dejected lot. We are onto ourselves to make a career and we all think back to the day we made this horrific decision.

Also beware of one fact that the Campus is not a Campus but ONE Floor in one of the buildings in Dubai International Academic City. So dont go by the pictures they show you, just remember its ONE floor in ONE Building.

Also, remember to bargain as much as you can if in case you still plan on taking admissions. There are many students here on full loans given by college/school and have not paid a single money from their pockets.

There have been students who did half the course without paying a single cent and went back realizing that they are wasting their time and money here after leaving their well paid jobs.

There may be many things promised to you before you join which will turn out to be false when you join and have paid the money in full.

Now they have another tactic to entice you, the FT ranking. So guys beware. Its not only your career at stake but all your life's savings which these guys will steal away from you with your consent.

Hult Boston is somewhat better with faculty available to mentor you. There too its not the whole building and I cannot say about the career services but the fact is that US has been hit hard so you may not get jobs / H1 Visas there. The admin ther eis somewhat professional and the Dean does not do Scuba Diving etc.

When we joined Hult Dubai, we had a Dean who resigned within 10 or 15 days. He is now the Dean of SP Jain Dubai. And we got a Scuba Diver pulling us all underwater to drown.

Be Careful, Observe, Listen, think, take feedback and then decide to take the leap. "
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 10:40
So lets say i agree with your numbers.

So even with 70K local MBA without income tax and student loan is atleast EQUAL to what a person would get in US (after all the deductions) even after graduating from a top MBA? (see first post of calculations)

So you atleast agree that graduating from top US MBA and making 110K(70K after tax and loan payments) is equal to local UAE MBA salary?

I don't care what "experience" students had at Hult. At the end of the day it is the job you get after your MBA that matters. If the salary is at least equal and you prefer the lifestyle in Dubai then Hult wins over most US programs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2010
Posts: 304
Location: Kuwait
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:03
the big cities in UAE are more expensive than the most expensive city in the U.S.

The salary number is not the end all be all, cost of living adjusted, I would rather make 120k in Chicago before tax than 70k in Dubai any day of the week, even 80-90k tbh.

Electronics are 20-30% more expensive, rent is 200% more expensive, cars are 30% more expensive, food is 50% more expsenive (unless you eat the local food and local eateries than its pretty cheap), clothes 200% more expensive(western style/brands), furniture is 200% more expensive(quality stuff).

So I still cant agree with if the salary is at least equal and you prefer the lifestyle in Dubai then Hult wins over most US programs.

Also I would think the experience is very important since you are assuming 100% success rate at getting a good job in the Middle East paying atleast 70,000. Besides the very tip top jobs in ME the pay is actually quite low. A post MBA buddy working at E&Y consulting in the gulf is making 40,000-50,000.

Also you will bet on Hult getting you the job with that salary based on what? Do you have any connections in the ME? Have you lived in the ME? How much work experience do you have? Where did you do your undergrad? What is your ethnicity (oo yes this is a big deal in the middle east)? Did you work for a F500 as your work experience? All these factors will make a HUGE difference on what kind of job you can get in the ME, they are very focused on branding signals.

I grew up in the ME for 18 years, my large family, especially the 20 or so cousins my age range working all over the Middle East, friends working all over the ME is my perspective.
Current Student
Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 489
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:06
Quote:
Salary: $100-120K, After Tax: $70-80K, After Student loan payments per year (for next 10 years) = $60-70K Total


Don't forget that this is your starting salary. Your salary should increase as your career progresses.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:24
MDF wrote:
Quote:
Salary: $100-120K, After Tax: $70-80K, After Student loan payments per year (for next 10 years) = $60-70K Total


Don't forget that this is your starting salary. Your salary should increase as your career progresses.


Salaries would increase with or without an MBA and with any MBA.

The point of the thread is not to show that salary is less for an MBA grad. The salary is good.

The idea is to compare two different MBA programs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 391
Location: United States (VA)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:44
US MBA for sure for the reasons the above posters wrote above..
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 12:03
aalba005 wrote:
the big cities in UAE are more expensive than the most expensive city in the U.S.

The salary number is not the end all be all, cost of living adjusted, I would rather make 120k in Chicago before tax than 70k in Dubai any day of the week, even 80-90k tbh.

Electronics are 20-30% more expensive, rent is 200% more expensive, cars are 30% more expensive, food is 50% more expsenive (unless you eat the local food and local eateries than its pretty cheap), clothes 200% more expensive(western style/brands), furniture is 200% more expensive(quality stuff).

So I still cant agree with if the salary is at least equal and you prefer the lifestyle in Dubai then Hult wins over most US programs.

Also I would think the experience is very important since you are assuming 100% success rate at getting a good job in the Middle East paying atleast 70,000. Besides the very tip top jobs in ME the pay is actually quite low. A post MBA buddy working at E&Y consulting in the gulf is making 40,000-50,000.

Also you will bet on Hult getting you the job with that salary based on what? Do you have any connections in the ME? Have you lived in the ME? How much work experience do you have? Where did you do your undergrad? What is your ethnicity (oo yes this is a big deal in the middle east)? Did you work for a F500 as your work experience? All these factors will make a HUGE difference on what kind of job you can get in the ME, they are very focused on branding signals.

I grew up in the ME for 18 years, my large family, especially the 20 or so cousins my age range working all over the Middle East, friends working all over the ME is my perspective.


First of all, thanks for posting your detailed opinion.

Now lets look at some of points you posted.

1) Cost of Living. Accoring to several COL websites, (i will quote Numbeo) here is the comparison between Chicago, IL and Dubai, UAE.

Consumer Prices in Dubai are 0.51% lower than in Chicago, IL
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Dubai are 7.15% higher than in Chicago, IL
Rent Prices in Dubai are 28.38% higher than in Chicago, IL
Restaurant Prices in Dubai are 8.18% higher than in Chicago, IL
Groceries Prices in Dubai are 13.62% lower than in Chicago, IL
Local Purchasing Power in Dubai is 9.85% higher than in Chicago, IL

The numbers for Dubai are remarkably better compared with NYC and San-Fran.

So all your everything is 200% more expensive philosophy is not factual.

2) I have Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University and i do work for a Fortune 500 company. At the time i graduated Purdue was ranked number 8th in ME amongst all private or public undergrad univerities. That did not get me a job on a platter. All jobs fairs!! and company connections!! asked everyone to "Apply Online". I got a job by applying on company websites only.

3) Lastly about what people make in Middle East. Making 20,000 Dirhams a month is equavelent to $73,400. I think i can get without even doing an MBA and just using my engineering deegree. I am fairly confident if someone knows how to market their "western" education and experience in ME, you can make alot more.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 06 Sep 2011
Posts: 95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 12:08
I would look at the number of alumni in Dubai by individual top 15 schools vs the number in the area for Hult. I think this will give you the best idea of how your degree will be received in UAE, as well the network that will be available to you after graduation.

I would also caution you not to overlook the "experience". A better experience creates loyalty among graduates, creating a vast network. In a lot of ways, that is arguably the most valuable part of the MBA experience.

But it honestly sounds like you have your mind pretty much made up at this point.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 139
Location: Canada
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 10

Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 12:16
aazhar wrote:
So lets say i agree with your numbers.

So even with 70K local MBA without income tax and student loan is atleast EQUAL to what a person would get in US (after all the deductions) even after graduating from a top MBA? (see first post of calculations)

So you atleast agree that graduating from top US MBA and making 110K(70K after tax and loan payments) is equal to local UAE MBA salary?

I don't care what "experience" students had at Hult. At the end of the day it is the job you get after your MBA that matters. If the salary is at least equal and you prefer the lifestyle in Dubai then Hult wins over most US programs.


LOL, you're skeptical of other people's numbers but you take Hult's stats with out question??!!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 12:57
deadlycat wrote:
aazhar wrote:
So lets say i agree with your numbers.

So even with 70K local MBA without income tax and student loan is atleast EQUAL to what a person would get in US (after all the deductions) even after graduating from a top MBA? (see first post of calculations)

So you atleast agree that graduating from top US MBA and making 110K(70K after tax and loan payments) is equal to local UAE MBA salary?

I don't care what "experience" students had at Hult. At the end of the day it is the job you get after your MBA that matters. If the salary is at least equal and you prefer the lifestyle in Dubai then Hult wins over most US programs.


LOL, you're skeptical of other people's numbers but you take Hult's stats with out question??!!



So you are saying Hult puts fraudulent stats on their website?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 391
Location: United States (VA)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 13:22
aazhar wrote:
So you are saying Hult puts fraudulent stats on their website?


I'm not going to say that outright, but Villanova and Illinois Law School both got caught for massaging LSAT data fwiw. That could happen anywhere however.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2010
Posts: 304
Location: Kuwait
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 14:06
aazhar wrote:
aalba005 wrote:
the big cities in UAE are more expensive than the most expensive city in the U.S.

The salary number is not the end all be all, cost of living adjusted, I would rather make 120k in Chicago before tax than 70k in Dubai any day of the week, even 80-90k tbh.

Electronics are 20-30% more expensive, rent is 200% more expensive, cars are 30% more expensive, food is 50% more expsenive (unless you eat the local food and local eateries than its pretty cheap), clothes 200% more expensive(western style/brands), furniture is 200% more expensive(quality stuff).

So I still cant agree with if the salary is at least equal and you prefer the lifestyle in Dubai then Hult wins over most US programs.

Also I would think the experience is very important since you are assuming 100% success rate at getting a good job in the Middle East paying atleast 70,000. Besides the very tip top jobs in ME the pay is actually quite low. A post MBA buddy working at E&Y consulting in the gulf is making 40,000-50,000.

Also you will bet on Hult getting you the job with that salary based on what? Do you have any connections in the ME? Have you lived in the ME? How much work experience do you have? Where did you do your undergrad? What is your ethnicity (oo yes this is a big deal in the middle east)? Did you work for a F500 as your work experience? All these factors will make a HUGE difference on what kind of job you can get in the ME, they are very focused on branding signals.

I grew up in the ME for 18 years, my large family, especially the 20 or so cousins my age range working all over the Middle East, friends working all over the ME is my perspective.


First of all, thanks for posting your detailed opinion.

Now lets look at some of points you posted.

1) Cost of Living. Accoring to several COL websites, (i will quote Numbeo) here is the comparison between Chicago, IL and Dubai, UAE.

Consumer Prices in Dubai are 0.51% lower than in Chicago, IL
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Dubai are 7.15% higher than in Chicago, IL
Rent Prices in Dubai are 28.38% higher than in Chicago, IL
Restaurant Prices in Dubai are 8.18% higher than in Chicago, IL
Groceries Prices in Dubai are 13.62% lower than in Chicago, IL
Local Purchasing Power in Dubai is 9.85% higher than in Chicago, IL

The numbers for Dubai are remarkably better compared with NYC and San-Fran.

So all your everything is 200% more expensive philosophy is not factual.



2) I have Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University and i do work for a Fortune 500 company. At the time i graduated Purdue was ranked number 8th in ME amongst all private or public undergrad univerities. That did not get me a job on a platter. All jobs fairs!! and company connections!! asked everyone to "Apply Online". I got a job by applying on company websites only.

3) Lastly about what people make in Middle East. Making 20,000 Dirhams a month is equavelent to $73,400. I think i can get without even doing an MBA and just using my engineering deegree. I am fairly confident if someone knows how to market their "western" education and experience in ME, you can make alot more.


Those COL numbers are sqewed down by lower paid immigrants who need to be able to live too so yes.. on average as a whole you the average rent is lower, food is lower.. but your going to live like a low skilled immigrant in undesirable areas... if you want the same lifestyle that you would have living in the U.S as a middle class professional, everything will be 200%.

Have you visited Dubai and checked it out? Its actually quite easy to check these things, go onto UAE online retailers, check the price of clothes, electronics, furniture, cars and look for a decent apartment online and what the prices are :) I grew up in the gulf and lived in Dubai for 9 months as well as visited dubai 3-4 times since its a quick plane ride away for concerts, expensive expensive expensive. Also dont think you can order stuff from american retailers online and have it shipped to U.A.E, you will be paying a tariff tax of 10-15% through customs plus the high cost of shipping... My money is definately going MUCH farther in the U.S than it was in the Gulf/U.A.E..

P.S. I am planning to go back to the Gulf after consulting in the U.S and after business school so I have nothing against life over there.. I love it! I just need to make sure I can make enough money to enjoy it personally..

Also good luck applying online to companies in the Gulf haha.. online applications go into the abbyss at major firms and they do a majority of recruiting through utilization of headhunter agencies.

As a test before you spend all the time and money to go to Hult.. apply to 5-10 middle eastern firms this week and see if you get a response within a month.. if you get an interview invite through this method I will succeed that am in wrong in my assumptions with all of this.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 14:52
aalba005 wrote:
aazhar wrote:
aalba005 wrote:
the big cities in UAE are more expensive than the most expensive city in the U.S.

The salary number is not the end all be all, cost of living adjusted, I would rather make 120k in Chicago before tax than 70k in Dubai any day of the week, even 80-90k tbh.

Electronics are 20-30% more expensive, rent is 200% more expensive, cars are 30% more expensive, food is 50% more expsenive (unless you eat the local food and local eateries than its pretty cheap), clothes 200% more expensive(western style/brands), furniture is 200% more expensive(quality stuff).

So I still cant agree with if the salary is at least equal and you prefer the lifestyle in Dubai then Hult wins over most US programs.

Also I would think the experience is very important since you are assuming 100% success rate at getting a good job in the Middle East paying atleast 70,000. Besides the very tip top jobs in ME the pay is actually quite low. A post MBA buddy working at E&Y consulting in the gulf is making 40,000-50,000.

Also you will bet on Hult getting you the job with that salary based on what? Do you have any connections in the ME? Have you lived in the ME? How much work experience do you have? Where did you do your undergrad? What is your ethnicity (oo yes this is a big deal in the middle east)? Did you work for a F500 as your work experience? All these factors will make a HUGE difference on what kind of job you can get in the ME, they are very focused on branding signals.

I grew up in the ME for 18 years, my large family, especially the 20 or so cousins my age range working all over the Middle East, friends working all over the ME is my perspective.


First of all, thanks for posting your detailed opinion.

Now lets look at some of points you posted.

1) Cost of Living. Accoring to several COL websites, (i will quote Numbeo) here is the comparison between Chicago, IL and Dubai, UAE.

Consumer Prices in Dubai are 0.51% lower than in Chicago, IL
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Dubai are 7.15% higher than in Chicago, IL
Rent Prices in Dubai are 28.38% higher than in Chicago, IL
Restaurant Prices in Dubai are 8.18% higher than in Chicago, IL
Groceries Prices in Dubai are 13.62% lower than in Chicago, IL
Local Purchasing Power in Dubai is 9.85% higher than in Chicago, IL

The numbers for Dubai are remarkably better compared with NYC and San-Fran.

So all your everything is 200% more expensive philosophy is not factual.



2) I have Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University and i do work for a Fortune 500 company. At the time i graduated Purdue was ranked number 8th in ME amongst all private or public undergrad univerities. That did not get me a job on a platter. All jobs fairs!! and company connections!! asked everyone to "Apply Online". I got a job by applying on company websites only.

3) Lastly about what people make in Middle East. Making 20,000 Dirhams a month is equavelent to $73,400. I think i can get without even doing an MBA and just using my engineering deegree. I am fairly confident if someone knows how to market their "western" education and experience in ME, you can make alot more.


Those COL numbers are sqewed down by lower paid immigrants who need to be able to live too so yes.. on average as a whole you the average rent is lower, food is lower.. but your going to live like a low skilled immigrant in undesirable areas... if you want the same lifestyle that you would have living in the U.S as a middle class professional, everything will be 200%.

Have you visited Dubai and checked it out? Its actually quite easy to check these things, go onto UAE online retailers, check the price of clothes, electronics, furniture, cars and look for a decent apartment online and what the prices are :) I grew up in the gulf and lived in Dubai for 9 months as well as visited dubai 3-4 times since its a quick plane ride away for concerts, expensive expensive expensive. Also dont think you can order stuff from american retailers online and have it shipped to U.A.E, you will be paying a tariff tax of 10-15% through customs plus the high cost of shipping... My money is definately going MUCH farther in the U.S than it was in the Gulf/U.A.E..

P.S. I am planning to go back to the Gulf after consulting in the U.S and after business school so I have nothing against life over there.. I love it! I just need to make sure I can make enough money to enjoy it personally..

Also good luck applying online to companies in the Gulf haha.. online applications go into the abbyss at major firms and they do a majority of recruiting through utilization of headhunter agencies.

As a test before you spend all the time and money to go to Hult.. apply to 5-10 middle eastern firms this week and see if you get a response within a month.. if you get an interview invite through this method I will succeed that am in wrong in my assumptions with all of this.

Good luck!



Where did you get the idea i was going to only apply online? I was making a point that even Purdue University, ranked 8th in US, the whole career placements, networking, alumni did not help.......had to apply online in the end.

It is actually nice that the city you picked Chicago as your example, that is where i live!!! I pay $2500 for an normal 2 bedroom apartment here. Do you seriously think i cannot find a $2500*3.67 = 9000 AED /month apartment in UAE? Is Jumariah Beach Residence a undesireable place to live? Go check bayut.com or any other UAE apartment website. You will be surprised.

Lastly, you think the low skilled workers are the ones going online and doing the survey on Numbeo? Hahahahaha. Those numbers are from tourists and expats that are trying to help others like them. You can read the expat forums if you don't believe me.

I have been to UAE several times. As far expensive clothing and electronics are concerned, seriously? you want to bring those type of things in to consideration then lets talk about gas prices. Lets talk about the high cost of airline tickets everytime someone has go see their family in asia or their family has to see them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2010
Posts: 304
Location: Kuwait
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 16:13
Whoa haha 2,500 on rent my man you are already living the life in Chicago, how old are you? (Not an insult just very curious, do you have roommates or something?)

Yea you can find a nice place around Jumariah Beach area for that price.

All the assumptions I used were my cost of living currently in Chicago and costs of what I would be incurring if I moved to Dubai.

I live in the wriggley area with a decent 1 bedroom for 1200 so for me a finding a comparable place would be around 2400 in Dubai. The food eating out I would spend 35-50 dollars per person in Dubai vs. Chicago 20-30 dollars(adjusted upwards linearily for both based on quality of place). Furniture I thought was very expensive of coarse there is Ikea which is pretty close to U.S pricing (~20%). I fill up my gas tank once a month because I fly to a client out of state and charge in gas and weekend flights for trips are free and from all the miles I get I fly 2 international flights a year free.

I'm suprised you had no luck through recruiting from Purdue career center, I went to a state flagship for grad school with a strong engineering program in my field (top 15) and had 9 first round interviews through the career center and ended up with 3 offers. While applying online I got no hits.. I applied to 20+ middle eastern firms and a number of U.S firms this way.. to be fair my school was not a target for the firms I was applying for in the U.S. I am a U.S and GCC citizen and to tell you the truth I dont even think any of the middle eastern firms sent me anything besides confirmation of application from about 2 years ago... haha.

Alright so it sounds like you know what you are getting yourself into. Do you start in Hult this coming Fall or about to apply?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 46
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 17:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
I don't expect this to sway your opinion since it seems like you have already made up your mind to go to Hult. However, I'm going to throw this out there for anyone else who might be thinking that Hult is a better option than a top US program.

In 2009, 3 months after graduation 87% of the HBS graduates had accepted an offer. In 2009, 2 days before graduation "more than 40% of Hult's Dubai 2009 graduates [had] already accepted a post-MBA job, or [were] screening offers".

This may not be a perfect comparison since the Hult MBA data wasn't 3 months after graduation (this was the only data that I could quickly find). However, I think it shows that top US business schools are still far ahead of Hult when it comes to placing students.

Sources:
http://www.ameinfo.com/206850.html
http://www.hbs.edu/about/annualreport/2 ... l-2009.pdf
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 18:55
bartthecartoon wrote:
I don't expect this to sway your opinion since it seems like you have already made up your mind to go to Hult. However, I'm going to throw this out there for anyone else who might be thinking that Hult is a better option than a top US program.

In 2009, 3 months after graduation 87% of the HBS graduates had accepted an offer. In 2009, 2 days before graduation "more than 40% of Hult's Dubai 2009 graduates [had] already accepted a post-MBA job, or [were] screening offers".

This may not be a perfect comparison since the Hult MBA data wasn't 3 months after graduation (this was the only data that I could quickly find). However, I think it shows that top US business schools are still far ahead of Hult when it comes to placing students.

Sources:
http://www.ameinfo.com/206850.html
http://www.hbs.edu/about/annualreport/2 ... l-2009.pdf


Hahahaha........Sorry dude but your post was hilarious.

that was the only information you could find?.........a three year old first batch report?..............you gotta work on your google skills man......a simple google searchwill show you 78% students found jobs within 3 months of graduation........Also, according to Financial Times.......82% found jobs within 3 months of gradation.

Now just smile and tell me Hult and FT are all just a fraud!!!!!! :)

Cheers!

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... kings-2012

http://www.hult.edu/en/programs/mba/car ... -overview/
Manager
Manager
Joined: 06 Sep 2011
Posts: 95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 19:19
If you are truly considering other alternatives, I would recommend speaking to some alumni about their experience. If you'll notice on the FT link you posted, Hults alumni recommend ranking is 97. Im not sure how they measure that statistic, but that seems extremely low. No school in the US top 15 ranks below 25 in that category. That statistic merits some investigation in my opinion.

I would recommend talking to some Hult alumni both in and out of Dubai to get some of their thoughts on the program. I think those conversations will prove to be the best guide.
Re: Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2012, 19:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts Canadian vs US MBA sankar_mit 23 11 Dec 2006, 22:47
New posts MBA in Canada vs US Parisa1362 3 04 Jan 2010, 19:00
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic European vs US MBA tgrlil 1 07 Sep 2011, 20:03
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic European vs US MBA tgrlil 1 07 Sep 2011, 20:09
Moved topic 6 Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai aazhar 41 24 Apr 2012, 09:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Top US MBA vs. Hult MBA Dubai

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.