Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [61]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [24]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [7]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
General Discussion
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Studies show that children who watch too much television are more like [#permalink]
Kudos
The author has built the argument on the lines that A causes B and it’s only A which causes B. There are no other factors. "Watching television" leads to obesity and hence, Jacob’s obesity is the result of watching television. Hence, answer choice "A" brings out the analogy perfectly. Sales increased more in the shop on the main street than in the one at the corner only because of the bigger advertisement and nothing else.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Studies show that children who watch too much television are more like [#permalink]
Kudos
Studies show that children who watch too much television are more likely than others to become obese adults. Jacob, who is an obese adult, must have watched more television as a child than I did, since I am not obese.

more X results in Y normally.
So Y indicates that X must have happened more.

Which of the following most closely parallels the logical structure above ?

A. The hardware store on Main Street must have had a bigger advertisement in the Sunday paper than the hardware store around the corner had. The hardware store on Main Street sold twice as many items as the hardware store around the corner did last week, and a Sunday paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of items sold.

B. Studies show that large dogs lives shorter lives, on average, than small dogs do. Rex is a large dog and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Mustang, who is a small dog.
Naturally X is more than y
so ex of X follows the same.

C.The county superintendent stated that all schools would be canceled for the day if snowfall last night were greater than six inches. Therefore, since the snowfall was only five inches, we must be following the usual school schedule today.
if X then Y
if not X then not Y.........this is not the same as our pre- thinking above

D. According to research, people with unusual musical talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jesse, who has achieved his full musical potential without formal lessons must not have unusual musical talent.
X do not result unless for y
so one without X is without Y as well..........this is not the same as our pre- thinking above

E. People who like vegetables also like fruits. Elizabeth does not like fruits, so she must not like vegetables either.
X results in y
since y is not true even X might not be true...........this is not the same as our pre- thinking above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [4]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Kudos

OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

In this Mimic the Reasoning question, the original argument is flawed. Thus the correct answer will reproduce the error in the original argument. Based on the premise that too much television leads to a greater likelihood of obesity, the author draws the conclusion that someone who is obese MUST have watched more television than someone who is not obese. The argument ignores possible alternative causes for obesity (diet, genetic predisposition, etc.). Television viewing ---> obesity does not mean that Obesity ---> television. Any correct answer should contain the same flawed reasoning that IF A, THEN B also implies IF B, THEN A.
Answer (A) is correct because the premise is that a bigger Sunday ad leads to more items sold. The erroneous conclusion is that if more items were sold, the cause must have been a bigger Sunday ad. This argument ignores possible alternative causes for the number of items sold (location, selection, etc.). Answer (B) is incorrect because it provides a premise and then a specific example that fits the premise. It is not flawed and does not match the original logical structure. Answer (C) is incorrect because it provides information about how the school schedule will change if 6 inches of snow fall. The conclusion, which is not necessarily true, assumes that there will not be a change to the school schedule if fewer than 6 inches of snow fall. In fact, we don't know what will happen when 5 inches of snow fall. This is a different flaw than in the original argument. Answers (D) and (C) present valid arguments and thus do not match the original.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Rock750 wrote:
Hi swarman

The purpose of the argument is to find an explanation i.e result of a comparaison (Jacob must have watched more television as a child than I did) to a present fact (Jacob is an obese adult, I am not an obese adult) based on a result of a study ( Studies show that children who watch too much television are more likely than others to become obese adults)

A. The hardware store on Main Street must have had a bigger advertisement in the Sunday paper than the hardware store around the corner had. The hardware store on Main Street sold twice as many items as the hardware store around the corner did last week, and a Sunday paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of items sold.
The purpose of this argument is to find an explanation i.e result of comparaison ( the HSMS must have had a bigger ads in the S. PAPER than the HSAC) to a present fact (the HSMS sold twice as many items as the HSAC did last week) based on a result of a study ( S. PAPER ADS have been shown to increase the num of items sold)

B. Studies show that large dogs lives shorter lives, on average, than small dogs do. Rex is a large dog and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Mustang, who is a small dog.
The purpose of this argument is to predict an event on the future based on a result of a study

C.The county superintendent stated that all schools would be canceled for the day if snowfall last night were greater than six inches. Therefore, since the snowfall was only five inches, we must be following the usual school schedule today.
The purpose of this argument is to explain the causal-effect of a general statement

D. According to research, people with unusual musical talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jesse, who has achieved his full musical potential without formal lessons must not have unusual musical talent.
the purpose of this argument is to find an explanation to an event occured in the past based on a result of a research

E. People who like vegetables also like fruits. Elizabeth does not like fruits, so she must not like vegetables either.
The purpose of this argument is to predict something based on a general observation

Hence, A is the most closely parallels the logical structure of the original argument.

Hope that helps !

Wow. This is actually a huge point. Try to understand the purpose of the argument than the conclusion or the logic. If you get to understand that the purpose is to find why a fact is formed with another theory, the correct answer should be only A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo, gmat1393, GMATNinja, nightblade354

Dear experts : can you please which one is necessary and sufficient condition in this option ?

Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ArupRS wrote:

Dear experts : can you please which one is necessary and sufficient condition in this option ?

I wouldn't say there are conditions here. I would say that this is a correlation.

But within the correlation, the sufficient would be those who like vegetable, and the necessary would be those who like fruits.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
ArupRS wrote:

I wouldn't say there are conditions here. I would say that this is a correlation.

But within the correlation, the sufficient would be those who like vegetable, and the necessary would be those who like fruits.

nightblade354 :

Sorry for late reply.
The flawed reasoning in option A is that it assumes since Sufficient condition doesn't happen, necessary condition also doesn't happen. ---> mistaken negation
In option E , if we consider those who like fruit as necessary condition then in absence of necessary condition, sufficient condition doesn't happen -- contra positive.

SO the reasoning in original argument and in E is not similar. Am I correct ?

regards,
Arup Sarkar
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ArupRS wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
ArupRS wrote:

nightblade354 :

Sorry for late reply.
The flawed reasoning in option A is that it assumes since Sufficient condition doesn't happen, necessary condition also doesn't happen. ---> mistaken negation
In option E , if we consider those who like fruit as necessary condition then in absence of necessary condition, sufficient condition doesn't happen -- contra positive.

SO the reasoning in original argument and in E is not similar. Am I correct ?

regards,
Arup Sarkar

Yeah, they don’t match. E is using the contrapositive as you said whereas the argument gives a correlation and then says one must happen because it didn’t happen to the other

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
swarman wrote:
Studies show that children who watch too much television are more likely than others to become obese adults. Jacob, who is an obese adult, must have watched more television as a child than I did, since I am not obese.

Mapping the argument:
If X happens ( children watch too much television) --> then Y happens (they are more obese)
Conclusion: Y has happened (jacob is obese ) --> hence X has happened (he must have watched too much TV)
Flaws - he is suffering from some medical condition.
In short the argument is X ---> Y == Y ---> X

X = Sunday paper ad ---> Y = increase in sales
Hence Y = sales have increased ---> X = the store must have had an Sunday ad
- Correct

B. Studies show that large dogs live shorter lives, on average, than small dogs do. Rex is a large dog and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Mustang, who is a small dog.
- Wrong
X = large dogs ---> Y = shorter lives
For this option to be correct: Y = Rex lived a shorter life ---> X = Rex was a large dog

- Wrong
X = if it snowed > 6 inches ---> Y = all schools would be cancelled
For this choice to be correct: Y = all schools were cancelled ---> X = hence it snowed > 6 inches

- Wrong
There are X 1 and X2 leading to Y. Our argument only supports one "X"

- Wrong
X = People like vegetables ---> Y = people also like fruits
For this argument to be true: Y = Eli likes fruits ---> X = she also likes vegetables
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM

Parallel structure question

The argument says that event A caused event B. Hence when we see event B (obese adult) it must have been caused by event A (children who watch too much tv)

B. Studies show that large dogs live shorter lives, on average, than small dogs do. Rex is a large dog and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Mustang, who is a small dog.
No event A,B.

Not parallel scenario

No event A,B.

No event A,B.

Kindly help me solve this question. Thanks :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Child watch tv —- obese
J obese —- more tv than me since i am not obese

A. Sunday paper ad —- more items sold
Hardware store on Main Street —- sold more than corner one. So main street one has bigger Sunday ad than corner one.
Good.

B. Large dog —-shorter lives
Rex large dog —- so shorter
Smaller dog —— longer life
This argument doesn’t parallel the argument since the second part of this option must have used shorter life as the subject, not larger dog.
C. There is no comparison
D. No comparison
E. No comparison

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
AndrewN, would love to know your thoughts here. The argument is "flawed" as it states that A is the only cause of B. I get how the other options do not work, but still feel a isn't that great either. Here is A -

"The hardware store on Main Street must have had a bigger advertisement in the Sunday paper than the hardware store around the corner had. The hardware store on Main Street sold twice as many items as the hardware store around the corner did last week, and a Sunday paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of items sold."

Selling more items than another store does not mean that the sales have increased. Whereas in the question - we know for a fact that Jacob is obese and the author is not.

Not denying the fact that that option A does hinge on the fact that there could be other reasons behind the outcome. I'm just not entirely convinced we have the said outcome here.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Brian123 wrote:
AndrewN, would love to know your thoughts here. The argument is "flawed" as it states that A is the only cause of B. I get how the other options do not work, but still feel a isn't that great either. Here is A -

"The hardware store on Main Street must have had a bigger advertisement in the Sunday paper than the hardware store around the corner had. The hardware store on Main Street sold twice as many items as the hardware store around the corner did last week, and a Sunday paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of items sold."

Selling more items than another store does not mean that the sales have increased. Whereas in the question - we know for a fact that Jacob is obese and the author is not.

Not denying the fact that that option A does hinge on the fact that there could be other reasons behind the outcome. I'm just not entirely convinced we have the said outcome here.

It is funny, Brian123. I thought (A) looked pretty good right away, but I left it alone while I sought answers that were easier to eliminate. I did not consider any other answer except (D), and by the time I committed to my original answer, almost three minutes had passed. (I think I was being extra cautious because of the 95 percent question difficulty. Silly me.) I agree with you that "selling more items than another store does not mean that the sales have increased," and I think that may be the point: the logic is flawed. We do not know whether the newspaper ad hypothesis holds any merit. We still cannot dispute the given information that one store sold twice as much as another over the course of the previous week, just as in the passage, we cannot ignore the facts about one person being obese and the other not. The passage and answer choice (A) do not present perfectly parallel structures, but they are the most closely related of the five options presented, for reasons provided above by Rock750 (and, of course, the OE).

Did you have any questions about specific answer choices? I suppose the takeaway here is to keep your approach simple. When you get into the details of each bit of the passage and answer choices, nothing will seem to hold up.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Brian123 wrote:

It is funny, Brian123. I thought (A) looked pretty good right away, but I left it alone while I sought answers that were easier to eliminate. I did not consider any other answer except (D), and by the time I committed to my original answer, almost three minutes had passed. (I think I was being extra cautious because of the 95 percent question difficulty. Silly me.) I agree with you that "selling more items than another store does not mean that the sales have increased," and I think that may be the point: the logic is flawed. We do not know whether the newspaper ad hypothesis holds any merit. We still cannot dispute the given information that one store sold twice as much as another over the course of the previous week, just as in the passage, we cannot ignore the facts about one person being obese and the other not. The passage and answer choice (A) do not present perfectly parallel structures, but they are the most closely related of the five options presented, for reasons provided above by Rock750 (and, of course, the OE).

Did you have any questions about specific answer choices? I suppose the takeaway here is to keep your approach simple. When you get into the details of each bit of the passage and answer choices, nothing will seem to hold up.

- Andrew

Yeah, that makes sense. Out of all the other options, A most closely resembles the reasoning in the stem. And nope, I was able to rule out all the other options, but felt uncomfortable while picking A. Thanks for the response.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
How to tackle these type of questions egmat @karishmaveritasprep
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts