Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [113]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [24]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [10]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [1]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, foun [#permalink]
Kudos
Though i marked the answer as E through POE
I wanted to clarify a doubt in option E.. Can who modify a verb?? its a noun modifier then how its modifying the verb did in option E?

employers than people did who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, foun [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Option E) I believe is incorrect. Both of the following options are either incorrect or fatally awkward based on Ron's session on Helping Verbs :

1) I know more about Shakepeare than my brother does, who hasn't studied English -> [ Incorrect because the noun modifier needs to follow the noun "my brother" ]
2) I know more about Shakepeare than my brother, who hasn't studied English, does -> [Although this option is grammatically correct but considered fatally awkward]

Best option is to place the action verb before the subject
3) I know more about Shakepeare than does my brother, who hasn't studied English. [Correct]

For the same reason the construction " ... employers than people did who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications .... " is wrong.

Option C) seems to be correct.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
E) looks to have a typo. "...than people did who..." isn't grammatical, because the "who" is improperly modifying the verb. It should be "...than did people who..." in my opinion; I'm not sure if the typo is in the original problem or if the poster made a mistake in transcription.

As others have pointed out, C) is incorrect because it should be "than did those..." and should be "..with "white-sounding names"..."

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.49
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
It is an idiom of from ____ than ____ .. Here both the blanks must refer to the same type of things (here applicants). Those can refer either the applicants or the employers. Hence D is wrong.
C is wrong for the same, while A and B directly go out because of the idiom structure. So E is the answer.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
D is ambiguous People .... had more difficult time getting call from employer(X) than those (Y)...

It reflects that People with ethnic name had difficult time getting call from employer (more difficult) and also from those with white names (comparatively)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
E has problem that relative clause "who..." is far from the noun modified, "people" . this far modification can be acceptable when there is no better choice.

in D, "did send" means "sent" when we want to emphasize.

because this is not official question, I do not think we should continue study of this problem.

Best regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
KapTeacherEli wrote:
E) looks to have a typo. "...than people did who..." isn't grammatical, because the "who" is improperly modifying the verb. It should be "...than did people who..." in my opinion; I'm not sure if the typo is in the original problem or if the poster made a mistake in transcription.

As others have pointed out, C) is incorrect because it should be "than did those..." and should be "..with "white-sounding names"..."

Hope this helps!

I agree with this. I can confirm that the original question contains the construct as in the posted question. Can an expert from Veritas (VeritasPrepKarishma perhaps?) clarify on whether this was an inadvertent error or whether there is some obscure grammar rule that allows such a construct?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [2]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
e)employers than people did who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

you must be f****ing kidding me!!!
how the F can this be a correct answer?
DID+sent that is 2 F-ing past simple in the same structure. JUST A REMINDER TO EVERYONE!!! DID is used to emphasize something that happened in the past. To use it correctly, you need to put DID + infinitive verb without "to".
people did who sent - this is so awkward and so stupid that no SANE person would even EVER consider E as a correct answer. Because of this kind of **** questions, people tend to get disappointed with their results.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
this seems a poorly written question. the proclaimed answer E is WRONG for poor construction and even D presents an ambiguity

D says: recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, found that people who sent in resumes with “ethnic-sounding” names had a much more difficult time getting called back from employers than those who did send in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

ALSO "getting called back from employers" is WRONG

TWO interpretations of D:

meaning 1: recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, found that people who sent in resumes with “ethnic-sounding” names had a much more difficult time getting called back from employers than FROM those who did send in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names------>after all people can be called from ANOTHER SET of people who in turn have been sending their OWN RESUMES !!

meaning 2: recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, found that people who sent in resumes with “ethnic-sounding” names had a much more difficult time getting called back from employers than those who did send in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names [ had difficult time getting called back from employers]
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Though I am no expert but i choose "E" .

i found the comparison between the actions of one set of people and the actions of other set of people.

In D, it seems the actions are compared with people. So the answer choice may be wrong.

E is WRONG because E says: employers than people did who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names--->the BOLD portion in E is WRONG. you cannot PUT verb "DID" in between "PEOPLE" and "WHO"

the comparison in E would be correct if E were WRITTEN: employers than DID people who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

however this question would STILL be WRONG because of the construction "getting called back from employers"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
what is wrong with 'C'. We are comparing two types of people. I chose C

C says: employers than those who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but “white-sounding” names.------> this construction of BUT means to EXCLUDE the thing mentioned AFTER "BUT" ; for instance : he spoke everything BUT truth ----->this means that he spoke everything OTHER THAN TRUTH

ALSO C is WRONG FOR this construction "getting called back from employers"
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
bumping again in this one. E is clearly incorrect. either a typo or the OA is wrong.

DID who SENT - 2 past used, incorrect.

maybe it is "THAN DID PEOPLE WHO SENT"?
it makes sense to be constructed in this way, since the comparison ambiguity is now removed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
C is wrong because, it misses the ‘with’ parallelism. -- resumes with ethnic-sounding names—should be -- but with ethnic-sounding names.
E: If E were the correct choice, I haven’t known that one can usually and formally write in that fashion. It looked rather unusual.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
gmatser1 wrote:
daagh wrote:
C is wrong because, it misses the ‘with’ parallelism. -- resumes with ethnic-sounding names—should be -- but with ethnic-sounding names.
E: If E were the correct choice, I haven’t known that one can usually and formally write in that fashion. It looked rather unusual.

So parallelism is the only reason why C is wrong?

In addition to parallelism, there is comparison error in option C.

X More than Y.

As per the meaning in C - people (certain type mentioned by who....) had a more difficullt time than those (refer to people). This in incorrect

A certain kind of people had a more difficult time than another kind of people had - correctly mentioned in option E.

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Specter:
One cannot parallel a feature verb such as ‘had’ with an action word ‘do’. 'To have' something is not the same as 'to do' something.
E is particularly wrong for this reason, apart from the clumsy way, that choice has been written. What is it that 'who’ is referring to? A relative pronoun cannot jump over a verb to modify some noun.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bjh wrote:
Samwong wrote:
skamal7 wrote:
Who can modify people alone right..But in option E it modifies Did is that right?

Good catch. Now I remember it. In Thursday with Ron, Ron said that a helping verb is necessary to eliminate ambiguity. Y histou can put the helping verb before or after the subject. However, if there is a noun modifier, then the helping verb needs to precede the the subject. Thus, the official answer is wrong. It should be "...than did people who..."

i agree it's awkward to put "did" between N and its modifier, but should we suspect the OA?

There are certain problems with the OA.

A modifier should generally touch the noun it refers to - flipping the verb and subject would solve this issue. Moreover using a conjunction ("but") to add a prepositional phrase modifier ( "with “white-sounding” names") and a relative clause modifier ( "who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications") is not one of the best practices. The OA would be better it were as follows:

...employers than DID PEOPLE who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but HAD “white-sounding” names.

Here, the verbs "sent" and "had" are joined with the conjunction "but". (Though this contrast does not make sense, it would at least be grammatically correct. A better construction is given at the end of this post.)

There is one more problem in the sentence (in the non-underlined part). The modifier "with “ethnic-sounding” names" is wrongly placed - it modifies "resumes" instead of "people". Ideally the construction should be:

...found that people with “ethnic-sounding” names who sent in resumes had.....

However the parallelism would then be affected. The complete sentence would be correct if it were as follows:

A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, found that people with “ethnic-sounding” names who sent in resumes had a much more difficult time getting called back from employers than did people with “white-sounding” names who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications .
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
hongson1706 wrote:
A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, found that people with “ethnic-sounding” names who sent in resumes had a much more difficult time getting called back from employers than did people with “white-sounding” names who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications .

Thank you for your help.

Just a little question. So "who" modifies "names"?

No, "who" refers to "people". This an exception of the modifier touch rule. Manhattan SC guide explains such exceptions. Following is an excerpt that is related to the exception above:

1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between. This modifier is often an Of phrase that defines the noun. The less important modifier refers to the noun plus the first modifier.

Right: He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts