Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [70]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [28]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [8]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [2]
Send PM
Re: Twenty meters of wire is available to fence off a flower bed in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Area of Sector, A = x/360*pi*r^2

Circumference of the sector = 20
=> x/360*2*pi*r +2r= 20
=> 2A/r+2r=20
=> A= r(10-r)
= r10-r^2

We will now max using derivations

A`=10-2r

Max value of A will found at A`=0
i.e 10-2r=0
r=5

=> Choice (3) is the right answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [1]
Send PM
Re: Twenty meters of wire is available to fence off a flower bed in the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
sudhir18n wrote:
hussi9 wrote:
Twenty metres of wire is available to fence off a flower bed in the form of a circular sector. What must the radius of the circle in meters be, if we wish to have a flower bed with the greatest possible surface area?

(1) 2√2 (2) 2√5 (3) 5 (4) 4√2 (5) none of these

IIM CAT Level Question

Requires knowledge of Mensuration and Max/min differenciation which not tested on GMAT.
Not sure of any other method

Sector of a circle = 2l+r
2r+l = 20 ; l= 20 -2r

Area = 1/2lr = 1/2*(20-2r)*r = 10r-r^2

Differenciation: dA/dX= 10 -2r
10-2r=0
hence r= 5

Are you sure Max/min is never tested on GMAT?
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
max , min can be tested. But the gmat wont expect you to use calculus. So by simple methods you should be able to get the max value.

eg A = 10r-r^2 = 2.5.r - r^2 - 25 + 25 = 25 - (r-5)^2 => max only when r = 5
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
interesting question indeed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
I'm wondering why we can't go this route. It's obviously wrong because I got the wrong answer but:

We know the circumference is 20. So we should be able to find the Diameter/radius

C = Pi * D

20 = pi* D

D = 20/Pi

D = ~ 6.37

So I picked E
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [4]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I know a concept that for a given perimeter equilateral triangle gives maximum area, so this sector must be similar to an equilateral triangle with sides 20/3 = 6.66, it means radius should be less than 6, in answer choices 5 is given so it is the nearest possible sector, other choices are not even around 6.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
You don't need derivatives in CAT either! Anyway, we can solve it either by plugging in numbers or by using this concept:
If the sum of given numbers is constant, their product is maximum when they are equal.

Given: \(2r + (\frac{Q}{2pi})*2*pi*r = 20\)
i.e. \(2r + Qr = 20\)

Maximize \((\frac{Q}{2pi})*pi*r^2 = \frac{Qr^2}{2}\)
Now \(Qr = 20 - 2r\) from above. So, Maximize \((20-2r)r/2 = (10 - r)r\)
Since \(10 - r + r = 10\), to maximize product, \(10 - r = r\) i.e. \(r = 5\)

Can anyone tell me how one obtained this eq. \(2r + (\frac{Q}{2pi})*2*pi*r = 20\)?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
holidevil wrote:
You don't need derivatives in CAT either! Anyway, we can solve it either by plugging in numbers or by using this concept:
If the sum of given numbers is constant, their product is maximum when they are equal.

i.e. \(2r + Qr = 20\)

Can anyone tell me how one obtained this eq. \(2r + (\frac{Q}{2pi})*2*pi*r = 20\)?

What is a sector of a circle? It looks like a slice of pizza. Its circumference will be given by

Radius + Length of the arc + Radius

Length of the arc =\((\frac{Q}{2pi})*2*pi*r\)
i.e. it is a fraction of the circumference of the complete circle. Q is the angle the arc makes at the center.

Since the rope will be used along the circumference of the sector, the circumference of the sector can be at most equal to the length of the rope i.e. 20

\(r + r + (\frac{Q}{2pi})*2*pi*r = 20\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM

i.e. \(2r + Qr = 20\)

Hello Karishma

Can I assume that the max surface area will be reached in a 90 degree sector? since the biggest sector that can be reached is a right angle, if it exceeds 90, would it still be called a sector?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
SaraLotfy wrote:

i.e. \(2r + Qr = 20\)

Hello Karishma

Can I assume that the max surface area will be reached in a 90 degree sector? since the biggest sector that can be reached is a right angle, if it exceeds 90, would it still be called a sector?

Yes, it is still a sector even if the angle exceeds 90. The angle could even go up to almost 360 though we usually deal with minor sectors i.e. when the angle is less than 180. So we cannot assume that the maximum surface area will be reached in a 90 degree sector.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos

i.e. \(2r + Qr = 20\)

Thanks Karishma for your explanation.
I need to clarify one more small point. The length of the arc = 2*pi*r * (Q/360) for which Q is the enclosed central angle between the 2 radii. I noticed that you computed (Q/360) as (Q/2pi). I must be missing something behind this logic, but why do we use Q/2pi here?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [6]
Send PM
Kudos