Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [364]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [49]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [47]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [25]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Studies have shown that a large percentage of car accidents are caused [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A is irrelevant , E and D are a bit too strong . B is the converse of what you infer from the passage . C is correct because it is the contrapositive . Always remember the converse and the inverse of the statement may or may not be true , but the contrapositive will always be true .

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [23]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Studies have shown that a large percentage of car accidents are caused [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
navneet001 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am just a beginner, so please pardon if I did not frame/format the question correctly.
I came across below question (attached the screenshot), please let me know if I should type it in:

The solution suggested is option C. I am confused on why Option D is not correct. It clearly says that the
‘Research shows that people who practice defensive driving are considerably less likely to get into a car accident.

Is not option D stating exact the same ?

Thanks in advance.

Dear navneet001,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, when you have a question about a specific question of a particular type, I would recommend posting it in the part of the forum devoted to that question type. For example, I believe this question would have been most appropriately posted in the Critical Reasoning section of the Verbal Forum.

In this question, (D) lays a trap, a very tempting trap, and I'm sorry to say, you fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Many folks who have not studied statistics in depth would fall for this mistake. You see, let's think about the statement --- in the general population, quality A is correlated with quality B. As a overall, general rule, individuals with a higher degree of A (whatever that is) also have a higher degree of B. Correlations and related trends speak to something that is true in the population-wide view. BUT, we must keep in mind, correlation does not imply causality, so if we go down to the level of the individual, we can't say if person #1 has more A than person #2, then person #1 must also have more B. Correlations are about whole population trends and may not play out at the granular level.

For example, there's a well-measured correlation between height and salary --- tall people, on average, are somewhat more likely to have a high salary than short people. Nevertheless, it's trivially easy to find examples of individuals who are short & rich or tall & poor. The correlation only speak to a pattern that emerges when we have a "whole population" view, and this pattern may be weak or virtually indiscernible at the individual level.

That the problem with (D) ---- it takes the pattern that true as an overall population-wide trend and tries to concretize it at the level of one individual compared to another.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This argument contains a conditional statement. If people are less likely to get into a car accident, they are more likely practicing defensive driving. The contrapositive of that is if people are less likely practicing defensive driving, they are more likely to get into a car accident. So answer C is the correct one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Experts,

I am just a beginner, so please pardon if I did not frame/format the question correctly.
I came across below question (attached the screenshot), please let me know if I should type it in:

The solution suggested is option C. I am confused on why Option D is not correct. It clearly says that the
‘Research shows that people who practice defensive driving are considerably less likely to get into a car accident.

Is not option D stating exact the same ?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments

questions.jpg
questions.jpg [ 101.72 KiB | Viewed 64539 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
GMAT PILL instructors - Could you please explain me how to tackle the question using your strategy ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
aggressive driving causes a large percentage of car accidents.

People who practice defensive driving are considerably less likely to get into a car accident.
(Aggressive driving behaviors do not practice defensive driving)

Therefore, the insurance company’s plan should help reduce the number of accidents.

Assuming the statements above are true, which of the following can be inferred from them?

A. The majority of accidents are caused by drivers who possess insurance.
(Insurance is not mentioned at all. OFS)

B. People who manage to consistently avoid car accidents are likely practicing defensive driving.
(can be correct but those who in general avoid accidents could be doing so for a variety of reasons)

C. Young males and other demographics known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are less likely to practice defensive driving than other demographics.
(This is inline with our pre-line thinking and correct answer))

D. An individual who does not practice defensive driving is always more likely to get into a car accident than an individual who does practice defensive driving.
(This cannot be inferred as this is extreme case.)

E. Discounts are the most effective way for insurance companies to promote defensive driving.
(Most effective-extreme case)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [9]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The argument says:

Premise :
if aggressive driving, then more chance of an accident happening. AD--> AH, c ontrapositive A~H--> ~AD
if defensive driving , then less chance of an accident happening. DD--> A ~H , contrapositive : A H --> ~DD

Conclusion: if more people are defensive drivers, then less accident.

A. Out of scope. Out
B. People who avoid accidents are more likely to be driving defensively. Looks likes they are reversing the logic. A~H --> DD. Out.

C. Young people & some other demographics who constitute a majority of those involved in accidents are less likely to practice defensive driving.

Now , young people& some other demographics are a subset of those involved in accidents.
that implies, if YP, then AH
YP--> AH

Using syllogism, AH--> ~DD(from Premise), YP-->AH(from C) therefore YP--> ~DD. Yes!

D. Division Fallacy. Assuming what applies to the group applies to an individual. Out.
E. Out of scope. Out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
C. Young males and other demographics known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are less likely to practice defensive driving than other demographics.

They word with Young male, just as a trap, to make people think this is out-of scope. But read it , Young male and other demographics, which includes all basically.
So rewording, People known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are less likely to practice defensive driving than other demographics.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Kudos
I have query regarding option C . Option C is correct , but it is grammatically incorrect making the choice ambiguous .
C. Young males and other demographics known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are less likely to practice defensive driving than other demographics. -----
This option states that young people are less likely to practice defensive driving in future . However , the intended meaning is that they did not practice defensive driving and hence are likely to be involved in an accident

C. Young males and other demographics known for disproportionately being involved in car accidents are less likely to HAVE practice defensive driving than other demographics.

Usage of Have corrects this error.

My query is not regarding grammatical correctness , but the logic arising out of it.
egmat could you help me
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 224
Send PM
Till now I am not able to reject option A because as insurance companies are offering a discount that means people must have taken insurance then only this whole process will able to stop the accident . So I can infer from the above statement that at least all the ppl who have to meet with an accident must have Insurance else this whole scheme wouldn't work.

Please help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM