Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [98]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [26]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [16]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The companys efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

fozzzy wrote:
The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival, one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

(A) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions

(B) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than their visions

(C) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than by its visions

(D) one that will be determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than its visions

(E) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers as by its vision

Choice A: This answer choice conveys the intended meaning of the sentence and maintains proper idiom use throughout the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice B: This answer choice incorrectly modifies the noun "chief rival" with the phrase "which will determine..." due to the use of the word "which". The modifying clause "which will determine..." also causes an error of meaning, as its construction implies that the modified subject shall affect the companies' computer production. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice repeats the errors found in Option C. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice fails to maintain the proper idiomatic construction "more by...than by". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice repeats the error found in Option D. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

One important thing to note here is that the use of the possessive pronoun "their" is perfectly correct in this sentence. This pronoun refers to the respective "visions" of "the company" and its "chief rival"; thus a plural possessive pronoun must be used.

To understand the concept of "Use of Which, Who, Whose, Where on GMAT" you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [6]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The companys efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival, one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

a) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.
Correct
Correclty uses the idiom more by X than by Y

b) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than their visions
which modifies the touching noun, hence incorrect
c) which will determine more how efficiently each company can produce computers than by its visions
which modifies the touching noun, hence incorrect
d) one that will be determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than its visions.
should be than by its visions, parallelism error
e) one determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers as by its vision.
more by X as by Y is idiomatically wrong,
it should be more by X than by Y
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Zarrolou, I agree that A maintains parallelism but I have a few questions. Please clarify

In A, " each" is singular. And also the sentence says the "Company's" but not "companies". So isnt the use of "thier" incorrect in A?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
maaadhu wrote:
Zarrolou, I agree that A maintains parallelism but I have a few questions. Please clarify

In A, " each" is singular. And also the sentence says the "Company's" but not "companies". So isnt the use of "thier" incorrect in A?

Yes, you're correct but the not underlined sentence talks about two "subjects/companies", so if we want to refer to both of them "their" is required.
The sentence talks about more than one company, so "their" is correct, even though the word "companies" does not appear in the sentence

The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival

Hope it's clear
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos

Here, the first part of the sentence focuses on company's efforts even though sentence uses antecedent ITS in the sentence . But the second part of the sentence begins with "one" that refers to "efforts" put by the company. As we have more X than Y idiom in the second part, X uses by how efficiently each company. Here word "each" talks about more than one company, so to keep other part also parallel we must use "their."

Hence A

Kudos please..... if you like my explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Can somebody explain what this sentence means? I have no clue what the underlined portion wants to convey.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Bookmarks
mohnish104 wrote:
Can somebody explain what this sentence means? I have no clue what the underlined portion wants to convey.

Hi mohnish

This question uses structure Noun+noun modifier. ==> Noun + noun modifier can modify:
(1) Preceding noun
(2) Preceding clause
(3) Any noun in the preceding clause.

In the underlined portion, "a new phase" is replaced by "one". The meaning is: The company's efforts start a new phase, which is determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers than by their visions.

The blue parts keep the two parts of the sentence parallel in meaning.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I am really confused about option A.

In the MGMAT SC Book, it is clearly mentioned that when 'each' precedes a subject / compound plural subject, it always takes a singular verb.
For example -
Each of these shirts is pretty.

When it follows, it has no bearing on the verb form.
For example -
They each are great tennis players.

Could some MGMAT expert please explain how this sentence is an exception?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u,

Can you please assist, how could A be OA. I agree that all other options are incorrect but its the first time that I come across with a question in which the antecedent of "their" is not Explicitly written.

As far as I have learned that antecedent MUST exist. I am not able to understand the usage of "their" in correct sentence.

Can you please help..Is it a GMAT level question..?

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
manhasnoname, if you read through the thread above, you'll see that the pronoun issue has been discussed quite a bit. I'm inclined to agree with you, although that leaves us with no correct answer!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

Can you please look into this one ? "their" in option A does not seem to have a clear antecedent mentioned in the sentence. Also, the sentence mentions company in possessive form. Although it is implied that their refers to the rival companies however do we see such a sentence construction on the actual GMAT ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Poorvasha wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

Can you please look into this one ? "their" in option A does not seem to have a clear antecedent mentioned in the sentence. Also, the sentence mentions company in possessive form. Although it is implied that their refers to the rival companies however do we see such a sentence construction on the actual GMAT ?

"Their" is a possessive adjective. It refers to the visions of the company and its chief rival.
Since we are discussing two companies, the use of plural "their" is justified. It is obvious that we are talking about the vision of each company (company and its chief rival).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
I don't think the GMAT would use "their" the way it is used in A, but the other answers are really egregiously bad, so as long as we know who "their" is supposed to refer to, it still looks like the best choice. If I were going to defend this answer choice, I'd say that the antecedent is there in compound form: the company and its rival. However, since "company" isn't even used in non-possessive form, I'm not too inclined to defend this answer. :) Throw it out!

Here is the official answer:

Solution: A

Explanation: The key in this problem is to make sure the correct answer contains a logical and parallel comparison. (B) and (D) can be quickly eliminated because they seem to be modifying “chief rival” (and create illogical meaning even if they were modifying the “new phase”). In (D) the “by” is required to make the construction parallel and “its visions” needs to be the plural “their visions”. In (E) the construction “more…as” is incorrect as it should be “more…than” While at first glance, the pronoun "theirs" in (A) might seem numerically incorrect, it is referring back to the visions of the two competing companies and therefore is correct. Answer is (A).

Originally posted by Will2020 on 07 Nov 2017, 09:32.
Last edited by Will2020 on 08 Nov 2017, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GuilhermeAzevedo The official explanation shows that whoever created the original question/explanation was a bit confused. The antecedent for "their" can't be "visions." The phrase is "their visions"! So the question is, "whose visions?" While it's pretty clear what the author is trying to say--it's the companies' visions--the word "companies" (plural) does not appear in the sentence, leaving us no actual antecedent for the word "their."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
ashutoshr wrote:
Hi,

In the MGMAT SC Book, it is clearly mentioned that when 'each' precedes a subject / compound plural subject, it always takes a singular verb.
For example -

For example -

Thanks!

Yes, I have the same question, the MGMAT guide clearly states that "each", "every" is used with a plural subject as in examples given above VeritasKarishma Can you please clarify?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There's a very simple answer. This question is no good! ;) I've tried to discourage folks from studying it, and I'll do so again. Let's lock this thread and retire this unofficial q!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64920 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pearljiandani wrote:
ashutoshr wrote:
Hi,

For example -

For example -

Thanks!

Yes, I have the same question, the MGMAT guide clearly states that "each", "every" is used with a plural subject as in examples given above VeritasKarishma Can you please clarify?

pearljiandani - We do not suggest you to learn "rules" and then try to apply them in every context. When it comes to the higher level SC questions, conveying accurate meaning becomes the focus (along with correct grammar of course)!

Here is the sentence:

The company’s efforts to seek advance orders for its computers will set off an intense new phase with its chief rival, one determined more by...

First think - what will be determined...? The new phase, right?
The company's efforts will set off a new phase with its chief rival.
The phase will be determined more by A than by B.

A - how efficiently each company can produce computers
B - their visions

The new phase with the chief rival, I hope you agree, will logically depend on the visions of both - the company as well as its chief rival.
But we are told here that the new phase will be determined more by how efficiently each company can produce computers.

So the new phase will be determined more by how efficiently they can produce computers than by their visions.

Hence, the use of "their visions" is accurate.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts