Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [52]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [20]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [7]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: The adopted use of trained fighter horses, which some historians date [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi,

Clearly D takes the cake.

A & B are wrong due to incorrect use of "which"-in both cases incorrectly referring to the adjacent noun ie. horses(ideally should be adoption) having thought to have occurred

C & E are wrong for incorrect use of the idiom "dated by"(should be "dated at")

Regards

Argha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Re: The adopted use of trained fighter horses, which some historians date [#permalink]
Kudos
pqhai wrote:
Please note:
The correct idioms are:
X date Y at.......
--OR--
Y is dated by X at.....
Both forms are correct. There is no problem with "dated by".

The trap is that there is no "at" in the non-underlined part.

But if you look at original answer choices (posted by nelz007), choice C follows your formula Y is dated by X at...... So the statement follows by "at"
Or maybe i am missing something?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
ziko wrote:
pqhai wrote:
Please note:
The correct idioms are:
X date Y at.......
--OR--
Y is dated by X at.....

But if you look at original answer choices (posted by nelz007), choice C follows your formula Y is dated by X at...... So the statement follows by "at"
Or maybe i am missing something?

you are correct.

pghai wants to say that as all other wrong option dont have AT even in the non underlined part....so we have to find the option that has AT in the underlined portion only because without the preposition AT idiom will be incorrect.

hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Then why is C wrong?

Adopting the use of trained fighter horses, dated by some historians at around a specific era thousands of years ago, was a critical element to the flourishment many civilizations including the Ottoman Empire.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [6]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
summer101 wrote:
Then why is C wrong?

Adopting the use of trained fighter horses, dated by some historians at around a specific era thousands of years ago, was a critical element to the flourishment many civilizations including the Ottoman Empire.

this has dangling modifier error.
Adopting the use of trained fighter horses ==>this modifier should be followed by subject ...here it is followed by DATED BY...hence this is wrong.
ADOPTING is a present participle .
Adopting the use of trained fighter horses ==>present participle modifier.
note:
if you have a present participle modifier in front of a comma, it must be talking about the following subject followed by the comma.

in fact, the same is true for all four of the following types of initial modifiers:

(1) Starting with –ING, or starting with preposition + -ING (especially in + -ING)
(2) Starting with past participle
(3) NOUN + MODIFIERS (i.e., not a clause)
(4) Starting with an ADJECTIVE

examples:

(1)
WRONG:
Coming home from school, the wind blew me off my bike.
RIGHT:
Coming home from school, I was blown off my bike by the wind.

(2)
WRONG:
Thrown from a passing car, the blaze was ignited by a stray cigarette.
RIGHT:
Thrown from a passing car, a stray cigarette ignited the blaze.

(3)
WRONG:
A survivor of the Holocaust, Primo Levi’s stories demonstrate a resolute determination in the face of tragedy and adversity.
RIGHT:
A survivor of the Holocaust, Primo Levi wrote stories that demonstrate a resolute determination in the face of tragedy and adversity.

hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
Please note:
The correct idioms are:
X date Y at.......
--OR--
Y is dated by X at.....

The adopted use of trained fighter horses, which some historians date during early Ottoman rule, was a critical element to the expansion of the Ottoman Empire.

(A) The adopted use of trained fighter horses, which some historians date
Wrong. "which" is not the main problem. The "Of-phrase" makes the phrase "of trained fighter horses" a "mission-critical" <== Thus, "which" does not need to modify the preceding noun (horses). "which" in this case can modify "the adopted use".
But A is wrong because there is no preposition "at" after "date" ==> The structure is like historian date during early Ottoman rule. Sounds badly!

(B) The adopted use of trained fighter horses, which some historians have thought to occur
Wrong. Meaning problem. "the USE of trained fighter horses" cannot occur, only "the adoption of using" can occur. (logical problem)

(C) Adopting the use of trained fighter horses, dated by some historians
Wrong. Same as A. We need the preposition "at".

(D) The adoption of using trained fighter horses, thought by some historians to have occurred
Correct. Even though D is wordy, but it's correct.

(E) The trained fighter horse's adopted use, dated by some historians
Wrong. The possessive structure is very awkward. In addition, We need the preposition "at".

Hope it helps.

hi

if your remarks are correct pls guide on this question below;

Many of the earliest known images of Hindu deities in India date from the time of the Kushan
empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or Gandharan grey schist.
A. empire, fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or
B. empire, fashioned from either the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
C. empire, either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or
D. empire and either fashioned from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from
E. empire and were fashioned either from the spotted sandstone of Mathura or from

Actually my question is DATE AT construction given by you, is not there
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
Send PM
Kudos
blueseas wrote:
summer101 wrote:
Then why is C wrong?

Adopting the use of trained fighter horses ==>this modifier should be followed by subject ...here it is followed by DATED BY...hence this is wrong.
note:
if you have a present participle modifier in front of a comma, it must be talking about the following subject followed by the comma.

in fact, the same is true for all four of the following types of initial modifiers:

(1) Starting with –ING, or starting with preposition + -ING (especially in + -ING)

examples:

(1)
WRONG:
RIGHT:

(2)
WRONG:
RIGHT:

(3)
WRONG:
A survivor of the Holocaust, Primo Levi’s stories demonstrate a resolute determination in the face of tragedy and adversity.
RIGHT:
A survivor of the Holocaust, Primo Levi wrote stories that demonstrate a resolute determination in the face of tragedy and adversity.

hope it helps.

Hello Blueseas,

Appreciate your effort to explain.

Could you kindly give it a thought as to why "Adopting the use of trained fighter horses" (the opening part of the option C) is a modifier and not a gerund phrase.

I guess "Adopting" is actually a gerund that takes "the use" as its object. "of trained fighter horses" is a prep-phrase that modifies the noun "the use." This whole part can thought of as a gerund phrase that acts as a noun.

Please let me know, if I am missing anything. :)
Many Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
summer101 wrote:
Then why is C wrong?

note:

examples:

(1)
WRONG:
RIGHT:

(2)
WRONG:
RIGHT:

(3)
WRONG:
RIGHT:

hope it helps.

"Adopting the use "modifies "was a critical element" . " dated by ...." is just an additional information.

"Running towards the gate, arms flailing in air , joey jumped across the river . "

Correct me if I am wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
I put my money on C. In D "the adoption of using" sounds just plain wrong. "The adoption of the use" would still be better IMO.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The position of "which" is fine. You are right. It is the descriptive portion and is held between two commas. Hence, "adopted use" connects "was a critical element". In this case “which” does not modify the word immediately before the comma that is "horses". But "adopted use" is not the right usage. Hence, we will eliminate A. There is nothing wrong with the modifier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
hi,
'
in option (D) The adoption of using trained fighter horses, thought by some historians to have occurred. i couldn't understand what thought by...' modifies?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
C. Adopting the use of trained fighter horses, dated by some historians at around a specific era thousands of years ago, was a critical element to the flourishment many civilizations including the Ottoman Empire

D. The adoption of using trained fighter horses, thought by some historians to have occurred around a specific era thousands of years ago, was a critical element to the flourishment many civilizations including the Ottoman Empire.

IMO Answer choice C fits better D.
In answer choice C, "Adopting the use of trained fighter horses" functions as the noun (gerund phrase) of the sentence and there is no dangling modifier problem.
In Answer choice D, "The Adoption of using" seems unnecessarily wordy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
DeepikaV wrote:
hi,
'
in option (D) The adoption of using trained fighter horses, thought by some historians to have occurred. i couldn't understand what thought by...' modifies?

"Thought" modifies the noun "Adoption". Thought is a past participle, so the clause beginning with "Thought" is a noun-modifier. Before "thought", we have "The adoption of using trained fighter horses", and "of using trained fighter horses" is a prepositional phrase, hence the noun modifier can skip over this phrase to modify "Adoption".

Hope it answers your question. Please kudos if you find my post helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Hi,

I am not able to understand why is C wrong?
Also, can someone please explain the use of 'dated at' idiom. Is 'dated at around a specific era' correct usage?

Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
The adopted use of trained fighter horses, which some historians date [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
daspri2809 wrote:
Hi,

I am not able to understand why is C wrong?
Also, can someone please explain the use of 'dated at' idiom. Is 'dated at around a specific era' correct usage?

Thank you!
This is not a good SC question. The phrase "the adoption of using trained fighter horses" is so non-standard that D cannot be the correct answer. And then we get to the non-underlined portion:

... was a critical element to the flourishment many civilizations including the Ottoman Empire.

Enough said.

You could take a look at this official question and this official question instead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
A & B wrongly use "which".
C has a dangling modifier.
E is in passive form.

Answer should be D.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Whats the problem with which?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
To have "occurred" is awkward and definitely not a strong choice for the GMAT, not the best option choice IMO
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts