Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [32]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [10]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: U.S. officials said they are convinced that by public demons [#permalink]
I picked E over C. The only problem with option C is "can" whereas the original meaning of the sentence is "may".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I think the answer is option B.

Option C says "by doing A and by doing B" while option B says "by doing A and doing B"

Since the two events are linked in OP, it means we need to try preserve the same meaning in the options. Hence option B is the best imho.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct or not! THank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
B for me as well... C is missing the word "promise"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
U.S. officials said they are convinced that by public demons [#permalink]
U.S. officials said they are convinced that by public demonstration of the strength of its banks and promising to solidify those that prove weak, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence.

by public demonstration of the strength of its banks and promising to solidify those that prove weak, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence.
Error : Parallelism by X and Y , X = demonstration of the strenght Y = promising to solidify

by publicly demonstrating the strength of its banks and promising to solidify those that prove weak, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence.
Seems fine hold it : , Parallelism X= demonstrating , Y = promising correct

Europe can help stem the crisis of confidence by publicly demonstrating the strength of its banks and by solidifying those that prove weak.
Error : Can changes the meaning of the sentence

by public demonstration of the strength of its banks and by making a promise to solidify those that prove weak in public, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence.
Error : meaning change

Europe may help stem the crisis of confidence by publicly demonstrating the strength of its banks and promise solidifying those that prove weak.
Error : parallelism error again
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
According to Ron, (I saw this in his parallelism video) both "by doing A and by doing B" and "by doing A and doing B" are correct.

vishnuns39620 wrote:

Option C says "by doing A and by doing B" while option B says "by doing A and doing B"

Since the two events are linked in OP, it means we need to try preserve the same meaning in the options. Hence option B is the best imho.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
For me, choice B appears convincing. It retains the original meaning & maintains parallelism by saying that by publicly demonstrating the strength of its banks and promising to solidify those that prove weak, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
rohitmanglik wrote:
According to Ron, (I saw this in his parallelism video) both "by doing A and by doing B" and "by doing A and doing B" are correct.

vishnuns39620 wrote:

Hi

Does't option B breakes the paralleism ?? could you please provide a much convincing explanation to support B . Bit confused with it . Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
U.S. officials said they are convinced that by public demonstration of the strength of its banks and promising to solidify those that prove weak, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence.

by public demonstration of the strength of its banks and promising to solidify those that prove weak, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence. > Parallelism error

by publicly demonstrating the strength of its banks and promising to solidify those that prove weak, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence. >..Correct one

Europe can help stem the crisis of confidence by publicly demonstrating the strength of its banks and by solidifying those that prove weak. >the construction is awkward.

by public demonstration of the strength of its banks and by making a promise to solidify those that prove weak in public, Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence.> one is noun and the other is verb

Europe may help stem the crisis of confidence by publicly demonstrating the strength of its banks and promise solidifying those that prove weak.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Hello, according to the OA, the sentence reads:

"U.S. officials said they are convinced that (???) Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence". Does it make sense to say "someone is convinced that something might happen?" To me it is illogical and therefore I chose option C.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
quantrace wrote:
Hello, according to the OA, the sentence reads:

"U.S. officials said they are convinced that (???) Europe might help stem the crisis of confidence". Does it make sense to say "someone is convinced that something might happen?" To me it is illogical and therefore I chose option C.

Hello, quantrace. I know what you mean, and I have eliminated shorter answer choices before based on a conviction that seemed awash in not-so-convincing language. Here, you have to ask yourself what the officials are convinced of. You cannot jump over the by... phrase and isolate the latter half of the sentence to take a shortcut. Perhaps the officials are convinced that Europe can adopt a specific approach that may produce a desirable outcome, but the approach itself is the conviction, rather than the outcome. That is how I interpreted the sentence. Choice (C), meanwhile, has two questionable attributes to my eye. The first is the double by. Although there are instances of such a usage in correct answers, you should question whether the second by is absolutely necessary to convey the vital meaning of the sentence. I would say it is not in this case, and extra words that achieve little to nothing in expressing the main idea typically work against that answer choice. To be clear, there is nothing wrong with saying, by demonstrating... and solidifying. I would also argue that the change from might/may to can indicates a certainty about the outcome that may not be accurate. For these reasons, although I like the initial, more straightforward angle of (C) over (B), I opted for (B). It proved to me to be the harder answer to argue against.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can vs may

‘can’ shows capacity/ capability and ‘may’ shows probability or chance.

Here ‘can’ won’t be applicable because that will change the meaning of original sentence.

Hence, C is out

In A, ‘public demonstration’ and ‘promising’ are not parallel because the former is a noun and the latter a verb.

Similar noun and verbs non-parallelism can be found in D and E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
I will provide my reason of elemination
by publicly not public was the first error that had to be eleminated hence A and D are out ,
public demonatration that has happened and that led to the convincement and not further demonstration hence E and C are out only one standing out being B
hence IMO B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts