Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [123]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618613 [22]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [19]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [17]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a condition characterized by an in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hi,
the question is of 700+ difficulty. reason : there is a subtle shift in focus/scope..
the argument basically tells us about TV watching habits of people suffering from ' inability to concentrate'. It never tells us that it is watching TV, a habit which is leading to this problem..
So its important that we donot fall prey to this subtle change and reread the stem to see through the problem...
now lets look at the choices available...

(A) cites as a direct causal mechanism a factor that may only be a partial cause of the condition in question..
Does the author ever mention that watching TV is the cause, partial or main. No, she doesn't.
She just says that these people watch TV for more than 7 hrs. So the most likely choosen wrong answer.

(B) fails to indicate the chances of having this condition among seven-year-old children who watch more than 7 hours of television a day
this statement tells us that the author has failed to establish a link of people suffering the disease to their watching TV. So correct
(C) limits the description of the symptoms of this condition to an inability to focus for a prolonged period of time
Can be easily eliminated
(D) fails to consider the possibility that James may be among the 5 percent of children who do not watch more than 7 hours of television a day
Can be eliminated as the author does say that he watches TV for more than 7 hrs
(E) does not allow for other causes of this condition besides television watching
same as A. Author never discusses watching TV as a cause
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [3]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT Date: 05-20-2015
GPA: 3.06
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a condition characterized by an in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ans : I feel , it is A

(A) cites as a direct causal mechanism a factor that may only be a partial cause of the condition in question-------YES , it makes sense because we cannot conclude that james suffers from this condition just because he is watching TV for more than 8 hours.Partial cause --> might exist pointing to the possibility that James falls in the 5% bracket

(B) fails to indicate the chances of having this condition among seven-year-old children who watch more than 7 hours of television a day--------- WRONG---The argument explicitly mentions that 95 % of children watching more than 7 hours of TV a day

(C) limits the description of the symptoms of this condition to an inability to focus for a prolonged period of time----WRONG---We are not bothered of symptoms here

(D) fails to consider the possibility that James may be among the 5 percent of children who do not watch more than 7 hours of television a day---WRONG--The arguments explicitly mentions -James watch TV roughly 8 hours a day

(E) does not allow for other causes of this condition besides television watching---WRONG---The final statement in the argument(conclusion ) says that--"It is therefore very likely that James, age seven, suffers from this condition, since he watches roughly eight hours of television a day."----So , there is a sense of only possibility here by using the words " very likely". So we cannot conclude--The argument does not allow for other causes....

Please correct me if I am wrong

Kudos if this helps :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 582 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
1. "Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized by an inability to focus on any topic for a prolonged period of time, and is especially common among children five to ten years old. A recent study has shown that 95 percent of seven-year-old children with this condition watch, on average, more than seven hours of television a day. It is therefore very likely that James, age seven, suffers from this condition, since he watches roughly eight hours of television a day.
The argument above is flawed because it
(A) cites as a direct causal mechanism a factor that may only be a partial cause of the condition in question
(B) fails to indicate the chances of having this condition among seven-year-old children who watch more than 7 hours of television a day
(C) limits the description of the symptoms of this condition to an inability to focus for a prolonged period of time
(D) fails to consider the possibility that James may be among the 5 percent of children who do not watch more than 7 hours of television a day
(E) does not allow for other causes of this condition besides television watching

Kudos for best explanation

I have to admit that I was torn between A and B. I ended up chosing B.

A) "a factor that may only be a partial cause" The only factor provided by the study is "kid's television watching". Now we could cast some doubt on the study, saying that it is not accurate, or that there are other studies portraying different results, but there is no trace of these two anywhere in the argument. Thus we don't have evidence to belie the studies' findings and if we don't have evidence to belie them, then they shuold be accurate. If they are accurate this statement is false.

B) the argument concludes that: "It is very likely that James suffers from this condition". We are not sure whether james suffers of this condition in the first place.In other terms His staying 8 hours a day in front of a tv screen doesn't assure us that he suffers of this condition. The argument is faulty of assuming it, thus this is the flaw and the correct answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
"Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized by an inability to focus on any topic for a prolonged period of time, and is especially common among children five to ten years old. A recent study has shown that 95 percent of seven-year-old children with this condition watch, on average, more than seven hours of television a day. It is therefore very likely that James, age seven, suffers from this condition, since he watches roughly eight hours of television a day.

A. cites as a direct causal mechanism a factor that may only be a partial cause of the condition in question
here is a correlation vs causation issue. While it can be true in reality that TV may induce some focus problems here the issue os of correlation not of partial or direct causation.

B. fails to indicate the chances of having this condition among seven-year-old children who watch more than 7 hours of television a day
People with inability may accidentally watch more TV but that does not indicate or decide their condition.
So whoever watches more TV may not necessarily have the same condition.

C. limits the description of the symptoms of this condition to an inability to focus for a prolonged period of time........there is no mention of symptoms here in the argument.

D. fails to consider the possibility that James may be among the 5 percent of children who do not watch more than 7 hours of television a day...........it is mentioned that he watches it for 8hr on average per day so even if he belongs to remaining 5% this does not define the flaw in the conclusion based on his inability.

E. does not allow for other causes of this condition besides television watching..............this does not explain the inherent flaw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Kudos
My 2 cents:
Assume, # of 7 years old kids = 1000
# of 7 years old kids with "Inability to concentrate" = 100
95% of there kids (i.e. 95 kids) watch > 7 hrs of TV
other 5 may with "Inability to concentrate" may watch > or < 7 hrs of TV

But other 900 kids may watch > or < 7 hrs of TV but still MAY NOT suffer from "Inability to concentrate"
So it is flawed to draw conclusions based on such a small sample size of observed kids.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
To me B seems to be the best choice;

Unless we know the general probabilities for 7 years olds that watch more than 7 hours of TV each day to suffer from attention deficiency we cannot judge the chances of the given child to be affected.

There could be only 5% of 7 years old suffering from that condition, hence even if our given child engages in activities that hind to suffering from the condition, there is still a massive chance that he belongs to the "other 95%", regardless of his behavior.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
To summarize the argument in simpler words: 95% of 7-year olds with condition A watch television more than 7 hours a day. A 7-year old boy watches TV more than 7 hours a day. Therefore, he has condition A.

We can transform this argument into a simpler one to make the flaw more obvious:

95% of Italians eat pasta. James eats pasta. Therefore, James is an Italian.

We then need to find the answer choice that describes this flaw. B is super-convoluted, but it does exactly that.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
"Inability to concentrate" is a condition characterized by an inability to focus on any topic for a prolonged period of time, and is especially common among children five to ten years old. A recent study has shown that 95 percent of seven-year-old children with this condition watch, on average, more than seven hours of television a day. It is therefore very likely that James, age seven, suffers from this condition, since he watches roughly eight hours of television a day.

(A) cites as a direct causal mechanism a factor that may only be a partial cause of the condition in question

Responding to a pm:

Quote:
i chose E since having "alternate causes" wd weaken the arg......and that is a flaw.

what is tripping me is that this may NOT be a cause-effect but rather a syllogistic arg (from reading the answers in the post)

so, how do i figure out if this is not a C-E arg but rather a syllogistic one?

"Inability to concentrate (ITC)" is a condition...
95 percent of 7-year-olds with this condition watch a lot of TV.
James watches a lot of TV.

So, it is likely that James suffers from Inability to concentrate.

Forget the options for the time being. Focus on what is given and what we are concluding. 95% of children suffering from ITC watch too much TV. So if a child is suffering from ITC, it is highly probable that he watches too much TV (because 95% such children watch too much TV).
But if a child watches too much TV, can we say that he probably suffers from ITC? No.

Consider this:
Total children = 100
Children who watch too much TV = 50
Children with ITC = 10. Of these 10, 9 watch too much TV.

If I know that James belongs to 10 of ITC, I know it is quite probable that he watches too much TV.
But if I know that James belongs to 50 of too much TV, can I say he has ITC probably? No.
So that is the problem here.

Option (B) handles it.

The argument does not tell us how many children watch too much TV. So we don't know how prevalent ITC is in that group.

Answer (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
How often does 95% hard questions appear on gmat.. is it for someone who crosses 750??

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:

the non-intersected venn diagram picture, which cannot be replicated and posted very well on the board, so I just put it in the attachment to illustrate my idea
Attachments

Inability to concentrate.docx [36.27 KiB]
Downloaded 101 times

Inability to concentrate.docx [36.29 KiB]
Downloaded 113 times

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts