Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: MIXTURE PROBLEM HELP [#permalink]
Expert Reply
We have a free video on the topic of mixtures - https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/931
Here's a practice question: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/932

Also, weighted averages can be thought of a mixtures. For more information on weighted averages, you can watch this free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... ics?id=805

Cheers,
Brent
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
pepo wrote:
Hi guys,

do you know where I can find on internet a good explanation fo Mixture problem? I am literally incapable to solve them and I need to understand the approach.

Did you also had the same problem of mine? I heard that mixture problems generally count a lot on your score so is important to solve them correctly :)

Thanks in advance

There are 100's of articles on mixtures on the forum. Try search...

For example:
Weighted Average and Mixture Problems on the GMAT
Mixture Tips and Tricks
Mixture Problems Made Easy

DS Mixture Problems
PS Mixture Problems

Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot Bunuel,

but there is a single method to approach and solve mixture problem?
I mean, e.g. for rate problems, you have to use the formula rtae=distance/time: does exists a similar formula (or method) thanks to which I am able to solve straightforward mixture questions?

Thanks a lot!!!! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi pepo,

Where did you hear that 'Mixture' questions count so much? Questions that would be strictly defined as Mixture questions (re "a 20% nut mixture is combined with a 30% nut mixture to form a 26% nut mixture...." and not Ratio/Percent/Average questions) typically show up just 1-2 times on Test Day, so that question type does NOT represent a big category on the GMAT.

If you have any specific prompts that you'd like to discuss, then you should post them in the appropriate Quant Forums. Most Mixture questions are essentially just about doing the necessary algebra/arithmetic, but you can sometimes use Tactics (TEST VALUES or TEST THE ANSWERS) to answer those types of questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
MIXTURE PROBLEM HELP [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pepo wrote:
but there is a single method to approach and solve mixture problem?
I mean, e.g. for rate problems, you have to use the formula rtae=distance/time: does exists a similar formula (or method) thanks to which I am able to solve straightforward mixture questions?

Thanks a lot!!!! :)

There is a single approach that can help you solve most weighted average and mixture problems easily. It uses this formula

w1/w2 = (A2 - Aavg)/(Aavg - A1)

Check out these posts for a discussion on this formula and its application to mixtures.

Weighted Avg and Mixtures:
https://anaprep.com/arithmetic-weighted-averages/
https://anaprep.com/arithmetic-mixtures/
and these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOAU7moZ2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdBl9Hw0HBg

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 17 Jan 2016, 21:24.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 30 Nov 2023, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi pepo,

Where did you hear that 'Mixture' questions count so much? Questions that would be strictly defined as Mixture questions (re "a 20% nut mixture is combined with a 30% nut mixture to form a 26% nut mixture...." and not Ratio/Percent/Average questions) typically show up just 1-2 times on Test Day, so that question type does NOT represent a big category on the GMAT.

If you have any specific prompts that you'd like to discuss, then you should post them in the appropriate Quant Forums. Most Mixture questions are essentially just about doing the necessary algebra/arithmetic, but you can sometimes use Tactics (TEST VALUES or TEST THE ANSWERS) to answer those types of questions.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I heard about that in your course (Empower gmat).
You says that beacuse these questions are easye because you have just to use simple algebra, they count...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi pepo,

Yes, Mixture questions almost certainly will count towards your score, but the 'scale' of how much they will help/harm your overall score is LIMITED by the fact that you'll see so few of them. By comparison, your performance on other, larger categories should take precedence - since those larger categories impact your score so much more. For example, DS will have a HUGE impact on your score (since there are so many DS questions that you'll see). Easy-to-answer questions, as a group, will also count "a lot" towards your score (which is why every Test Taker needs to eliminate silly/little mistakes from their performance), but an individual Mixture question won't kill your score if you get it wrong.

Rich
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts