Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [7]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618895 [11]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Data Sufficiency Help [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi knuckleduster,

Since you stated that you've come back to studying for the GMAT, did you take this practice CAT before (meaning - is this the second time that you've used it?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi knuckleduster,

Since you stated that you've come back to studying for the GMAT, did you take this practice CAT before (meaning - is this the second time that you've used it?)?

Rich

Hi Rich,

This was my first attempt in taking this practice exam. My previous study did not involve any mock exams, it only included reading through Manhattan GMAT and solving some problems from OG 12.

Best
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi knuckleduster,

If you took the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), and did so under realistic conditions, then I would say that you're in an outstanding position to score at a high level on the Official GMAT.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Data Sufficiency is a question type that impacts many Test Takers (since its unique to the GMAT), but it's a predictable question type in the same way that all of the others are predictable.

4) What practice materials have you been using to study DS?

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
Data Sufficiency Help [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi knuckleduster,

If you took the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), and did so under realistic conditions, then I would say that you're in an outstanding position to score at a high level on the Official GMAT.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Data Sufficiency is a question type that impacts many Test Takers (since its unique to the GMAT), but it's a predictable question type in the same way that all of the others are predictable.

4) What practice materials have you been using to study DS?

Rich

Hi Rich,

This reply gave me a pretty good confidence boost. That's why I would like to thank you first. Please find answers to your questions below.

1) I have scheduled my exam for May 21st, 2016
2) The goal score is 750+. But I am sure I would be happy with anything above 720.
3) I am planning to apply this year around September (R1) to most of the M7 schools
4) I have registered to Gmatprepnow.com, which is a free online tool. Also, I still have my Manhattan GMAT books as well as the latest version of OG. I also read read posts in this forum from time to time.

I am always open to recommendations if you have any. The GMATPrep Software showed me that my weakest points are DS (11 out of 13 total wrong answers) and SC (9 out of 11 total wrong answers) in each section. Please let me know of any of your suggestions because I am all ears.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Data Sufficiency Help [#permalink]
Kudos
knuckleduster wrote:
Hi guys,

After a long break, I decided to re-study GMAT exam and took the practice from GMATPrep software. Even though I got a pretty good score (740, Q49, V41), I realized that 11 out of my 13 wrong questions in Quantitative section was from Data Sufficiency. (Number proper

Do you have any recommendations to tackle this ? I have been generally good at math through school. Any software, app, book or online platform recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I had the same problem but I referred to Manhattan GMAT Math textbooks (5 textbooks). In each textbook, the last 2 chapters focus on data sufficiency problems and strategies. So I would recommend you to read the DS strategies from those chapters if you master the other quan. skills.

Wish you the best!

Originally posted by deabas on 24 Mar 2016, 17:42.
Last edited by deabas on 28 Apr 2016, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi knuckleduster,

Since you've defined a couple of specific areas that you need to work on and you've put together some study materials already, I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 2 weeks, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). That score result will give us a better idea of how realistic your first score result was and how your studies are going. If adjustments are needed, then you'll still have plenty of time before your Exam to make them.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi knuckleduster,

Since you've defined a couple of specific areas that you need to work on and you've put together some study materials already, I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 2 weeks, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). That score result will give us a better idea of how realistic your first score result was and how your studies are going. If adjustments are needed, then you'll still have plenty of time before your Exam to make them.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I will write the result as soon as I take the second FULL CAT.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A few tips for Data Sufficiency:

1) Make sure you are comfortable with the answer choices and don't really have to think about them when solving problems. For instance, students will often ask "We got B, but couldn't it be C?" This indicates a misunderstanding of the answer choices, as we'd only get to C if we ruled out both statements as insufficient.

2) Try to rephrase the question. Sometimes the question is already pretty simple ("What is x?"), but if it's more complicated, you can greatly increase your accuracy by simplifying or reworking the question to reflect any initial information you have. Sometimes one of the statements will directly answer your rephrased question.

3) Don't confuse the question with the statements. Always keep in mind that the question is just that: a question. If it asks "Is x a prime number greater than 10?" don't assume that x is prime. With that in mind, if you rephrase the question, keep the question mark at the end. Many people miss DS problems because they unconsciously slip on this, thinking something like "Ah, if the question is true, statement 1 could be true. These are consistent." That's not the task!

4) Have a consistent process. Try to prove each statement insufficient, and don't move on until you've considered the cases in which you might get a different answer to the question. If the statement is insufficient, take a moment to consider what it *does* tell you, so you'll be better prepared when it comes time to consider combining.
Current Student
Send PM
I have completed the second full CAT in GMATPREP software today. It is weird that I got 730 (Q49, V41). It seems that studying for a while took me back from where I was before. Actual gmat in 2 weeks, do not know what to do.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
That's within the range of normal variation on practice CATs - I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you do everything the same way on test day, you're in a good position to get a solid score. The last two weeks prior to the test isn't the right time to study content, either - focus on revisiting things you've already learned. If you're still not feeling great about DS, for instance, go back and redo all of the DS problems you missed on that previous practice test, and reflect on what you can learn from them. Can you condense your typical DS mistakes into a couple of 'bullet points' to remember on test day?
Current Student
Send PM
I have finally took the official exam and scored a 730 (Q50, V39). Kinda happy with it, still was expecting something more like 750. The gap between quant and verbal is irritating, too.
Nevertheless, doesnt worth retaking. I just wanted to thank all of you in this thread for your advice and help.
You guys are awesome

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618895 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
knuckleduster wrote:
I have finally took the official exam and scored a 730 (Q50, V39). Kinda happy with it, still was expecting something more like 750. The gap between quant and verbal is irritating, too.
Nevertheless, doesnt worth retaking. I just wanted to thank all of you in this thread for your advice and help.
You guys are awesome

Posted from my mobile device

Congratulations with a very descent score! Good luck with application process!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts