Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [29]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves [#permalink]
Kudos
MartyMurray wrote:
After years of record drought, declines in California???s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in California???s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns

(B) California???s reserves of water have declined so that many of its cities and towns have been driven

(C) California???s shrinking water reserves are driving many of its cities and towns

(D) California???s shrinking water reserves are a drive for many of its cities and towns

(E) California???s shrinking water reserves have declined to drive many of its cities and towns

Source: TTP Beta Testing

When something is inside of preposition, then it can't be subject or agent. In A, the location of ''water and California???s reserves'' is inside of preposition. That means, 'water' and 'California???s reserves' can't be the subject. So, in A, ''its'' should be possessive pronoun of noun ''declines''. So, the use of ''its'' instead of ''California???s reserves'' is not faulty?
Thank you...
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Send PM
Re: After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves [#permalink]
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
After years of record drought, declines in California???s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in California???s reserves of water are driving many of its cities and towns

(B) California???s reserves of water have declined so that many of its cities and towns have been driven

(C) California???s shrinking water reserves are driving many of its cities and towns

(D) California???s shrinking water reserves are a drive for many of its cities and towns

(E) California???s shrinking water reserves have declined to drive many of its cities and towns

When something is inside of preposition, then it can't be subject or agent. In A, the location of ''water and California???s reserves'' is inside of preposition. That means, 'water' and 'California???s reserves' can't be the subject. So, in A, ''its'' should be possessive pronoun of noun ''declines''. So, the use of ''its'' instead of ''California???s reserves'' is not faulty?
Thank you...

Good point. Hmm. So maybe the wording would work as "water reserves in California". Then "California" could be the antecedent.
MartyMurray wrote:
iMyself wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:

When something is inside of preposition, then it can't be subject or agent. In A, the location of ''water and California's reserves'' is inside of preposition. That means, 'water' and 'California's reserves' can't be the subject. So, in A, ''its'' should be possessive pronoun of noun ''declines''. So, the use of ''its'' instead of ''California's reserves'' is not faulty?
Thank you...

Good point. Hmm. So maybe the wording would work as "water reserves in California". Then "California" could be the antecedent.

So, do you think that option A is ok without any mistakes?
Thanks...
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:
iMyself wrote:
When something is inside of preposition, then it can't be subject or agent. In A, the location of ''water and California's reserves'' is inside of preposition. That means, 'water' and 'California's reserves' can't be the subject. So, in A, ''its'' should be possessive pronoun of noun ''declines''. So, the use of ''its'' instead of ''California's reserves'' is not faulty?
Thank you...

So, do you think that option A is ok without any mistakes?
Thanks...

I am not 100% sure.

It may be that using a possessive noun as the antecedent of a possessive pronoun is considered ok, but I don't like using possessive nouns as antecedents for any type of pronoun. So I am going to edit it, changing "California's" to "California".

At that point, I believe, A will be 100% correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Send PM
After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves [#permalink]
Okay, there has been a lot of modifications to the question and everything seems to be resolved.
But then Why A but not C (post edit)?
(A)declines in water reserves ......are driving away...
(C) shrinking water reserves....are driving away...
To me, there's not much difference in the meaning. Or, both convey fine things. What makes (A) better than (C)

sayantanc2k chetan2u daagh - what's your opinion?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
1. But A says that the declines have a record drought. If declines had a record drought, it will mean that the water resources should be abounding.

What had a record drought? It is neither the decline nor the shrinkage alone. It is the water resources that suffered the record drought, IMO

2. On the sideline, "the decline" isn't the appropriate diction to describe shrinkage since decline's predominant meaning is to refuse politely.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
After years of record drought, declines in California’s reserves [#permalink]
Expert Reply
PKay wrote:
Okay, there has been a lot of modifications to the question and everything seems to be resolved.
But then Why A but not C (post edit)?
(A)declines in water reserves ......are driving away...
(C) shrinking water reserves....are driving away...
To me, there's not much difference in the meaning. Or, both convey fine things. What makes (A) better than (C)

sayantanc2k chetan2u daagh - what's your opinion?

In my opinion both A and C are alright.

The original poster of the question explains why C is wrong here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-years- ... l#p1799675

But I am not quite in agreement with this explanation. A modified noun is not the same as the original noun. Consider the following sentence:
I am not afraid of a dog, but I am afraid of a barking dog.
Therefore, I feel "shrinking water reserves" in option C is not a problem.
MartyMurray wrote:
After years of record drought, declines in water reserves in California are driving many of its cities and towns to implement mandatory rationing.

(A) declines in water reserves in California are driving many of its cities and towns

I've still confusion about the official answer (A). Option A says something like following example:
A) Changes in this SC edits by MartyMurray can give us an important point to discuss blah blah blah.....
A) Changes in this SC discusses in gmatclub forum can give an important point to blah blah blah....

I think the RED part should be something like below...
A) Changes in this SC edited by MartyMurray can give us an important point to discuss blah blah blah.....
A) Changes in this SC discussed in gmatclub forum can give an important point to blah blah blah....
In short, the word ''reserves'' should be replaced with adjective ''reserved'' to legit the official answer. Isn't it sayantanc2k, daagh, MartyMurray?
Also, I did not have a clear indication about the use of the pronoun ''its''. Is the pronoun ''its'' is being used for ''California'' or ''declines''?
Thank you my honorable expert.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM