Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [482]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [6]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [3]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [5]

Send PM
Re: How to improve from great (760) to incredible (780!) on SC [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Thank you, yashbabu! So glad to hear that it's helpful!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Great post (like always :)) GMAT Ninja.
Your posts always clear doubts.

I need your help though. I have been trying to get answers to some specific SC rules and searched various sites and videos on youtube but still I am confused and lack understanding on those rules.

Is it possible, if I pm you the doubts and you provide your understanding on them. Please let me know.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [5]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
Great post (like always ) GMAT Ninja.
Your posts always clear doubts.

I need your help though. I have been trying to get answers to some specific SC rules and searched various sites and videos on youtube but still I am confused and lack understanding on those rules.

Is it possible, if I pm you the doubts and you provide your understanding on them. Please let me know.

Thanks

Thank you for the kind words, Shiv2016! I'll be honest: I get absolutely buried in PMs and have zero hope of responding to all of them -- and in the spirit of the GMAT Club community, public discussions are always better. So could I trouble you to start a thread (or multiple threads) with your questions? And then tag me in it, and I'll do my best to respond there.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 635 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Quote:
If you’re applying the most basic form of the “which” rule, you’d conclude that “which” is trying to modify “Susan Huntington Dickinson”, right? And you’d say that this sentence is incorrect – but it turns out that it isn’t. Check out the full discussion here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/emily-dickin ... 10142.html

The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state forest department to work as wilderness firefighters eat in the same cafeterias, sleep in the same campsites, and wear the same uniforms as their professional counterparts do, defying the rigid relationship barriers enforced inside prison walls.
GMATNinja
Do we need the pronoun "who" in the above sentence.
I believe that without the pronoun "who" the sentence "The inmates of Arizona state prison are selected by the state forest department" works fine, since "of Arizona state prison" is a prep. phrase.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 81
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
Send PM
GMATNinja, the oversimplification of SC in three broad categories is incredible
+1 thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [2]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you so much GMATNinja.

This post comes in very handy even for people who have already spent some time studying SC.

I think you are the Bunuel of the verbal section! :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arro44 wrote:
I think you are the Bunuel of the verbal section! :)

I have a really, really long way to go! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you! Found this very helpful, SC is my biggest area to improve :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
This is really helpful. Although mine is not a 760 to 780 aspiration, it is about 700ish in mocks to 750ish on the GMAT. Such info shall really help. Thank you once more!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
If any of you have favorite examples of really tough, meaning-based OFFICIAL SC questions, post ‘em below. Would love to hear which ones have helped you get inside the GMAT’s head. :-D

I liked this question and your explanation as well. Thanks for all your efforts, means a lot :)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/heirloom-tom ... 75868.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
How to improve from great (760) to incredible (780!) on SC [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo, have you noticed the change in the SC questions, after the recent site upgrade, i feel i see the difficulty level of question has gone up drastically -- i started with V33 (i used to skip all RCs n get most of SC /CR correct) -- n now i dont understand what i see [panicking a l'll :cry: ]
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatns2018 wrote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo, have you noticed the change in the SC questions, after the recent site upgrade, i feel i see the difficulty level of question has gone up drastically -- i started with V33 (i used to skip all RCs n get most of SC /CR correct) -- n now i dont understand what i see [panicking a l'll :cry: ]

Sorry, but the SC questions definitely haven’t undergone any major changes at all lately. I can criticize the GMAT in all sorts of ways, but it’s a very carefully standardized test, and scores from this month need to be directly comparable to scores from, say, four years ago. So the test’s creators definitely do NOT make major changes to the structure of SC questions – or any other type of question – without very clearly warning us first.

So if you’re saying that the actual GMAT exam is getting harder, I’m afraid that the perceived change has something to do with your own mindset (maybe some anxiety?), and not any changes to the exam itself. Sorry for the bad news!

And for whatever it’s worth, skipping all of the RCs does not sound like a good strategy at all, unless you’re going to be happy with something like a 30V. Inevitably, you’ll miss some very easy RC questions with that approach, and on an adaptive test, if you miss easy questions, you’ll have a hard time getting even a slightly above-average score. There’s no magic bullet for improving speed and accuracy on RC, but you might want to start with this article or maybe this video.

I hope this helps a bit!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [6]

Send PM
Kudos