Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [192]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [3]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]

Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Experts’ Topic of the Week, 6/4/17: "Being" is not the enemy [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Just wanted to give a belated shout-out to warriorguy for suggesting this topic. This one's for you, brother.

Thanks for the amazing post GMATNinja.

Will find some official (correct) GMAT examples and update the thread. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi GMATNinja,

First of all, the above post is just awesome! I learnt a lot from the same. :-) :-) :thumbup:

But still I have some doubts. :| Can you please explain the usage of BEING in the following 2 sentences,

1. Performing a risky maneuver that required precision flying, space shuttle astronauts retrieved an orbiting satellite and simultaneously avoided being rear-ended by a passing ultraviolet telescope.

As per my understanding this usage is similar to, Charles’s favorite activities include eating and being lazy. But I am not sure.

2. During the 1950s, as part of their therapy, young polio victims learning to live with their disabilities were helped to practice falling, so that they could learn to fall without being hurt.

Thanks in advance! :-)

Thanks.
-Varun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
aceGMAT21 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

First of all, the above post is just awesome! I learnt a lot from the same. :-) :-) :thumbup:

But still I have some doubts. :| Can you please explain the usage of BEING in the following 2 sentences,

Quote:
1. Performing a risky maneuver that required precision flying, space shuttle astronauts retrieved an orbiting satellite and simultaneously avoided being rear-ended by a passing ultraviolet telescope.

Here Being is used as a noun.

As per my understanding this usage is similar to, Charles’s favorite activities include eating and being lazy. But I am not sure.

Quote:
2. During the 1950s, as part of their therapy, young polio victims learning to live with their disabilities were helped to practice falling, so that they could learn to fall without being hurt.

For more: https://e-gmat.com/blogs/spare-a-thought-for-being/

Thanks.
-Varun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja
I don't see why "Being one of the world’s greatest jazz composers, Thelonious Monk is beloved by millions of music lovers worldwide" is incorrect. Is it because TM is already dead?

Would you please further explain?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Another question from OG 10th Edition, in which the use of being is incorrect:-

Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War, Horace Pippin,
a Black American painter, worked by holding the brush in his right hand and guiding its movements with his
left.

(A) Having the right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
(B) In spite of his right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
(C) Because there had been a sniper's bullet during the First World War that crippled his right hand and arm
(D) The right hand and arm being crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War
(E) His right hand and arm crippled by a sniper's bullet during the First World War

Can you spot the reason why 'being' is incorrect here?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
patto wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
I don't see why "Being one of the world’s greatest jazz composers, Thelonious Monk is beloved by millions of music lovers worldwide" is incorrect. Is it because TM is already dead?

You could think of this in a couple of different ways. For starters, “being” is used as a modifier here (specifically a participle, if you like grammar jargon), and that generally isn’t something that you’ll see in correct answers on the GMAT. “Being” can be used correctly as a verb or as a noun, but it’s very difficult to come up with cases when it’s used in correct answers as a modifier. (See usage #3 in the original post above.)

Perhaps just as importantly, there’s no good reason to include “being.” Why not just shorten it to “One of the world’s greatest jazz composers, Thelonious Monk…”? That cleans it up nicely.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [0]
Given Kudos: 257
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q168 V167
GPA: 3.85
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
patto wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

You could think of this in a couple of different ways. For starters, “being” is used as a modifier here (specifically a participle, if you like grammar jargon), and that generally isn’t something that you’ll see in correct answers on the GMAT. “Being” can be used correctly as a verb or as a noun, but it’s very difficult to come up with cases when it’s used in correct answers as a modifier. (See usage #3 in the original post above.)

Perhaps just as importantly, there’s no good reason to include “being.” Why not just shorten it to “One of the world’s greatest jazz composers, Thelonious Monk…”? That cleans it up nicely.

I hope this helps!

Hi Charles,

Thank you very much for your invaluable time and effort. The below is the correct answer choice to a GMAT Prep question that uses being as a modifier (according to Ron Purewal and e-gmat). It woud be great, if you could elaborate on the role of being here :please

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by a Black American - the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: HKUST '21
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hello,Ninjia :blushing
Your explanation to the usage of "being" is complete and precise.But after reading I have a question about:How to differentiate the "being" used as "noun" or "modifier",could you offer me a solution just like what you said for the "being" used as "verb".
Thank you so much for your patience and time. :) :)
Allen Irving
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Send PM
rever08 wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Quote:

Quote:

For more: https://e-gmat.com/blogs/spare-a-thought-for-being/

Thanks.
-Varun.

Hi, I would appreciate if someone could elaborate why "Being" is used a noun here in both these sentences?

My understanding is that in the first sentence, its because it is acting as the object but not sure of this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Bookmarks
GMATNinja wrote:

Verbal Experts’ Topic of the Week, June 4-10, 2017

“Being” is not the enemy

If you’re a regular participant in our Wednesday verbal chats (join us!), you might already know that we’re not afraid to contradict some of the “conventional wisdom” in the GMAT world. You should memorize idioms? Not necessarily. You should always use GMAT materials to study for the GMAT exam? Maybe not. You should learn every piece of grammar terminology possible? Probably not.

Here’s another thing we frequently hear from our GMAT students: “being” is always wrong. And you probably know what we’re going to say about that: not so fast.

When it comes down to it, “being” really isn’t all that different from any other “-ing” word. Just like any other “-ing” word on the GMAT, “being” could, in theory, be used as either a verb, a noun, or a modifier. It’s just that there are a couple of twists that make it a little bit different.

So what should you do whenever you see “being” on the GMAT? Well, it depends on how, exactly, “being” is used. (And if you haven’t already, please make sure that you’ve read our guide to “-ing” words before you continue with this post. )

Three potential uses of “being”

1) “Being” as a verb (progressive tense)

In our earlier post on “-ing” words, we mentioned that it’s possible for an "–ing" word to be a verb, as long as it’s preceded by some form of “to be.” Here are a couple of examples:

• Domenico is dreaming of olive groves right now.
  • Souvik was admiring his GMAT score report when he realized that he hadn’t slept properly in nearly four years.

And there’s no reason why “being” couldn’t be used as a verb also, as long as it’s also preceded by some form of “to be”:

• Charles is being cruel to his GMAT students today.
  • Mike was being nice when he said that your hair looked good this morning.

So if “being” is preceded by some form of “to be”, it’s just a verb. You don’t see this form very often on the GMAT (though an official GMAT example can be found here), but there’s no reason why it’s wrong.

On to possibility #2:

2) “Being” as a noun (gerund)

As we discussed in our previous post, “-ing” words can also be used as nouns (also known as gerunds if you like grammar jargon). A couple of examples:

• Eating is Charles’s only real skill.
  • Amy's favorite activities include writing and cleaning her cat’s litter box.

In general, "-ing" nouns are easy to spot on the GMAT: they’re clearly either the subject or an object of the sentence. And again, there’s no reason why “being” can’t also be used as a noun on the GMAT:

• Being a GMAT tutor makes Mike happy.
  • Charles’s favorite activities include eating and being lazy.

So far, “being” is just like any other “-ing” word, right? “Being” can function just fine as a verb or a noun. But as you hopefully already know, “-ing” words are most frequently used as modifiers on the GMAT… and that’s where we run into trouble.

3) “Being” as a modifier

On the GMAT, “-ing” words are most often used as modifiers. If you like grammar jargon, feel free to call them participles. A few examples:

• Dancing happily through the streets of Mumbai, Souvik clutched his GMAT score report with unbridled joy.
  • Gracefully riding an enormous wave off the coast of Chile, Mike felt like a world champion surfer.

And here’s the only real difference between “being” and any other “-ing” word: “being” simply won’t work as a modifier in most cases. Here are some sentences that would undoubtedly be wrong on the GMAT:

• Being born in Italy, Domenico has a deep understanding of outstanding cuisine.
  • Being one of the world’s greatest jazz composers, Thelonious Monk is beloved by millions of music lovers worldwide.

I’ve never seen a correct GMAT sentence that uses “being” as a modifier – and these two obviously aren’t correct, either. And that’s the main difference between “being” and other “-ing” words: “being” apparently can’t be used as a modifier on the GMAT. Official examples of this can be found here, here, and here.

So “being” isn’t always wrong!

Bottom line: when you see “being” in a sentence, don’t automatically assume that it’s wrong. If “being” is used as a verb (preceded by some form of “to be”) or a noun, it could very well be acceptable. But if “being” is used as a modifier, it is almost certainly incorrect.

Want more?

Dear GMATNinja,

First things first - Thank you for such a wonderful article on the uses of "being". This has helped me get rid of a lot of confusion around the usage of "being" in official questions. Now, I am able to identify and eliminate options that use "being" incorrectly with much more confidence.

However, I am somehow stuck in this particular OG 18 question and not able to figure out the role of "being"!

Question:

With corn, soybean, and wheat reserves being low enough so a poor harvest would send prices skyrocketing, grain futures brokers and their clients are especially interested in weather that could affect crops.

My understanding:

Being - not used as a verb since it is not preceded by "tho be" form of verb.
Being - not used as a noun since it is used in a prepositional phrase and neither acts as a subject nor as a noun.

Being - likely used as a modifier (verb-ing) and modifies "reserves"

Am I correct in my understanding? Would appreciate your help here!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
ShukhratJon wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
patto wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I hope this helps!

Hi Charles,

Thank you very much for your invaluable time and effort. The below is the correct answer choice to a GMAT Prep question that uses being as a modifier (according to Ron Purewal and e-gmat). It woud be great, if you could elaborate on the role of being here :please

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by a Black American - the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man.

Nice catch! Yes, "being" is used as a modifier in this example. This isn't too surprising, as there are very few rules that the GMAT sticks to 100% of the time.

Both my example ("Being one of the world’s greatest jazz composers, Thelonious Monk is beloved by millions of music lovers worldwide") and the official example you cited ("A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by a Black American - the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man") are grammatically correct.

However, "being" is completely unnecessary in my example, whereas it serves a vital purpose in the official example -- you couldn't remove the word "being" and still have a sentence that makes any sense. So, the GMAT would almost certainly say that the Thelonious Monk example is incorrect, but the other one seems to be fine.

In short, if you come across the word "being" used as a modifier, you should be highly suspicious of that answer choice. But if "being" is grammatically correct AND necessary to form a coherent sentence, then you've found an exception to the "rule" that forbids using "being" as a modifier. And don't be too surprised that there are exceptions out there -- after all, the GMAT is a reasoning test, not a do-you-know-this-grammar-rule test. :)

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
AllenIrving wrote:
Hello,Ninjia :blushing
Your explanation to the usage of "being" is complete and precise.But after reading I have a question about:How to differentiate the "being" used as "noun" or "modifier",could you offer me a solution just like what you said for the "being" used as "verb".
Thank you so much for your patience and time. :) :)
Allen Irving

The best way to differentiate between a noun and a modifier is to think about the function of the word or phrase in question.

Consider this example:

Being only two weeks old, the adorable puppy could fit in the palm of my hand.

What is "being only two weeks old" actually doing in this sentence?

Well, it's just describing (or modifying) the puppy. If the function of a particular word or phrase is just to further describe or explain something else, then that word/phrase is a modifier.

Compare that to this example:

I really hate being late to work.

Here, "being late to work" is the THING that I hate -- in other words, it is the object of the sentence, and therefore a noun. You could replace it with another noun ("I really hate being late to work potatoes") and the grammar would still work out.

It's definitely easier to spot "being" as part of a verb -- but by thinking about the function of the phrase in question, you can also determine whether "being" is a modifier or noun in the context of the sentence as a whole.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
This is one of the most helpful posts that I have come across, thanks GMATNinja

I did some search and can only see a total of 5 Posts that covers various topics - "Ing", "ed", "being", "that", "GMAT Idioms".

I also read your blog posts in your website and found them super helpful - especially "How to approach GMAT SC question"

I assume rest of the topics are covered via your videos, correct?

However, I found these blog topic posts to be incredibly useful for note taking as well as learning from the comments above as well.

Can you do a blog posts dedicated to communication/meaning?

There's not much posts of blogs about meanings.

May gold bless you!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
IN2MBB2PE wrote:
This is one of the most helpful posts that I have come across, thanks GMATNinja

I did some search and can only see a total of 5 Posts that covers various topics - "Ing", "ed", "being", "that", "GMAT Idioms".

I also read your blog posts in your website and found them super helpful - especially "How to approach GMAT SC question"

I assume rest of the topics are covered via your videos, correct?

However, I found these blog topic posts to be incredibly useful for note taking as well as learning from the comments above as well.

Can you do a blog posts dedicated to communication/meaning?

There's not much posts of blogs about meanings.

May gold bless you!

Hi IN2MBB2PE, thank you for the extremely kind words! It always makes me happy to hear that our posts have been helpful :).

Meaning is a tricky topic to study on SC, just because no two GMAT SC questions are alike, so all we can really do is give you a general framework for tackling meaning-based questions. Beyond that, there's really no point in obsessively studying them, since the meaning issues are completely different from question to question.

Have you checked out our SC Guide for Beginners? Not sure if that's what you had in mind, but that article attempts to explain how to factor meaning into your SC approach. We also address meaning in some of these YouTube videos, particularly this "advanced" SC video and this parallelism video, though neither video is solely about meaning.

I know: not the most satisfying answer, but I hope it helps a bit!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts