Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [957]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [3]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Re: Experts' Topic of the Week, 6/26/17: WTF is THAT doing in my sentence? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Sometimes that is not followed by complete verb and is used in comparison to specify an entity too.
Any views on this OG eg:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-h ... 05348.html

Here THAT is very much required since its absence distorts comparison.

I'm not 100% sure that I understand your question correctly in this case, but the two uses of "that" in the question in that link are just versions of #1 and #3. Sure, I would agree that you very much need the word "that" to make sense of the comparison(s), but "that" still either subordinates a clause or functions as a demonstrative pronoun, depending on which "that" you're looking at in the OA. Feel free to tag me in that thread if you have more questions about that particular example.

Quote:
When used as demonstrative pronoun, as in your post, it can not be followed by verb / clause.

Sure, you could follow a demonstrative pronoun ("that" or "those") with a verb, as long as the referent and the meaning make sense:

The noodles sold in Bangkok are tastier than those sold in Denver. --> pronoun "those" is followed by verb "sold", and it makes perfect sense in this case
    The corn grown in Iowa contains higher amounts of starch than that grown in Nova Scotia. --> pronoun "that" is followed by verb "grown"... and we could argue that it sounds a little bit funny, but it's completely fine

Here's an official example: https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-lacking- ... 96705.html

Quote:
However more usage in GMAT is of that as relative pronoun must be followed by verb, making THAT ... a dependent clause.
Is this usage correct?

I'm not quite sure what you mean with this part. I think you're talking about either usage #3 or #4 from the original article? In most of these cases, the relative pronoun would indeed be followed by a verb, but you'd have a subordinate clause, not a dependent clause. But the GMAT isn't going to ask you to define the difference between dependent and subordinate clauses, fortunately! :-D
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
Re: Experts' Topic of the Week, 6/26/17: WTF is THAT doing in my sentence? [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja

Do the pronoun modifier with too behave similar to that / which
meaning modifying preceding clause / noun?

Can you help subtle difference between with vs which as in this OG Q
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey GMATNinja

I found a GMATPrep question in which "that" is used as a modifier and jumps over the "passive verb" . According to your article, "that" won't jump over verbs to modify some noun. Is this an exception to the rule?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-more-t ... 86558.html
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
pikolo2510

I am not an expert but let me add my two cents.

The reason why THAT jumps over the verb is being tested to modify a new type of jet engine is that this relative pronoun modifier
can not be placed anywhere else in the context of the sentence. I know you might love if THAT
is placed exactly next to subject a new type of jet engine
but then the verb will be too far from subject which is not appreciated by GMAT.

Let me know if this helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatbusters wrote:
GMATNinja
please clarify whether "that" can be dropped from this sentence...

It is hard work needed for success.

It is hard work that is needed for success.

Please clarify

Hm, I'm not sure if you'll like my answer, since I'm about to change your question a little bit. :)

If I had to choose between those two sentences, I would definitely pick the second one. But even the second one is unnecessarily wordy and indirect, and there's really no need for the "it is" at the beginning of the sentence. I'd prefer the following, and so would the GMAT: "Hard work is needed for success." So no need for the "it is" or the "that" at all.

I'm not sure if I really answered the heart of your question, but I hope that helped a little bit!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20709 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/obituaries/stephen-hawking-dead.html

That work led to a turning point in modern physics, playing itself out in the closing months of 1973 on the walls of his brain when Dr. Hawking set out to apply quantum theory, the weird laws that govern subatomic reality, to black holes.

That calculation, in a thesis published in 1974 in the journal Nature under the title “Black Hole Explosions?,” is hailed by scientists as the first great landmark in the struggle to find a single theory of nature — to connect gravity and quantum mechanics, those warring descriptions of the large and the small, to explain a universe that seems stranger than anybody had thought.

Hi GMATNinja & GMATNinjaTwo, If "that" is the first word of the sentence, it is a pronoun, article or conjunction?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Experts' Topic of the Week, 6/26/17: WTF is THAT doing in my sentence? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:

That work led to a turning point in modern physics, playing itself out in the closing months of 1973 on the walls of his brain when Dr. Hawking set out to apply quantum theory, the weird laws that govern subatomic reality, to black holes.

That calculation, in a thesis published in 1974 in the journal Nature under the title “Black Hole Explosions?,” is hailed by scientists as the first great landmark in the struggle to find a single theory of nature — to connect gravity and quantum mechanics, those warring descriptions of the large and the small, to explain a universe that seems stranger than anybody had thought.

Hi GMATNinja & GMATNinjaTwo, If "that" is the first word of the sentence, it is a pronoun, article or conjunction?

In my opinion the opening THAT is an article . GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo -- Please confirm .

https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-more-t ... 86558.html
In the below OA , that is being used a modifier and jumps over phrase(prep phrase and verb) "of jet engine is being tested". Can that when used a modifier jump over verb as well ?
1. After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

Another example -
2. Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/not-one-of-t ... 13288.html

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , sayantanc2k, DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , daagh ,ccooley other experts- please help
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:

In both cases above, "that" is an article. Basically, "that" is just clarifying that we're talking about "the specific work mentioned earlier" or "that specific calculation mentioned earlier." See usage #2 from the original post.

Skywalker18 wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-more-than-four-decades-of-research-and-development-a-new-type-o-86558.html
In the below OA , that is being used a modifier and jumps over phrase(prep phrase and verb) "of jet engine is being tested". Can that when used a modifier jump over verb as well ?
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.

You're absolutely right, Skywalker18: this is one of the rare exceptions when a "that" modifier jumps over a verb phrase. I can only think of one similar example on official questions, and I think that one involves a "which." These cases are pretty rare... but I'm admittedly guilty of oversimplification in the original article. :oops:

In this particular case, notice that there really isn't a good way to rearrange the sentence so that the modifier "touches" the jet engine. Here's what happens if we put the modifier first:

"...a new type of jet engine that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit is being tested."

Now the verb phrase ("is being tested") appears really, really far away from the subject ("a new type of jet engine"), and it's legitimately kind of confusing now. Because that verb phrase is short, it's clearer to put "is being tested" first, and then insert the (really really long!) noun modifier afterward.

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
In my opinion the opening THAT is an article . GMATNinja , GMATNinjaTwo -- Please confirm .
I'm not sure why GMATNinja is referring to that as an article. In the examples in which that is said to be an article, that is actually something called a determiner.

Skywalker18 wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/after-more-than-four-decades-of-research-and-development-a-new-type-o-86558.html
After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that could eventually propel aircraft anywhere in the world within two hours or help boost cargoes into space at significantly lower costs than current methods permit.
Yes, it can, especially with a that (this process becomes harder with which). Patterns to look out for:

1. There is an additional noun that the relative pronoun could refer to.
In 1974, a message was sent that included basic information about humanity.
In 1974, a message was sent to the Hercules Globular Cluster that included basic information about humanity.

The first sentence is fine. The second is also reasonably good, but check the other options: maybe there is another option that does not open the sentence up to misinterpretation (we're not sure whether it was the message or the Cluster that included the information).

2. If the additional noun takes a different relative pronoun.
An AI has been created that can beat humans at the game of Go.
An AI has been created by scientists that can beat humans at the game of Go.

Here there is no confusion at all, as the that cannot refer to scientists (the GMAT doesn't like using that for people).

3. There is already another that in the construction.
A message that was created by scientists was sent that included basic information about humanity.

This one is not correct.

4. The modifier is non-restrictive.
The Taj Mahal, which was built by order of Shah Jahan...

It will be very hard, if not impossible, to shift the which... to the other side of whichever verb comes next. That's not to say that a which cannot be shifted. It's just not that easy.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [6]

Send PM
Kudos