Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20713 [5]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [5]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: In economics, the concept of propensity to consume refers to the pro [#permalink]
Sprincejindal wrote:
nairaneesh wrote:
Please explain how C is a valid answer.
I am confused because MPC is applicable only when additional income comes in to play.

Read this line in the second paragraph - "Short-term decreases in income do not lead to reductions in consumption, because people reduce savings to stabilize consumption."
Earlier, if Income was $1000 and MPC was 0.72 (consumption 1000* 0.72 = $720), and now if the income falls to $800, the consumption remains same, then the MPC increases to 0.9 (720/800).

Hope this helps!

I agree with what you say but the very definition of MPC is that additional income that the family consumes. So if there is a decrease in income ,the MPC will be negative no ?

I think if the answer choice were to be rephrased, Decreases in income generally lead to short-run increases in propensity to consume. Choice c would be right.
:?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Re: In economics, the concept of propensity to consume refers to the pro [#permalink]
Kudos
goforgmat wrote:
Sprincejindal wrote:
nairaneesh wrote:
I am confused because MPC is applicable only when additional income comes in to play.

Read this line in the second paragraph - "Short-term decreases in income do not lead to reductions in consumption, because people reduce savings to stabilize consumption."
Earlier, if Income was $1000 and MPC was 0.72 (consumption 1000* 0.72 = $720), and now if the income falls to $800, the consumption remains same, then the MPC increases to 0.9 (720/800).

Hope this helps!

I agree with what you say but the very definition of MPC is that additional income that the family consumes. So if there is a decrease in income ,the MPC will be negative no ?

I think if the answer choice were to be rephrased, Decreases in income generally lead to short-run increases in propensity to consume. Choice c would be right.
:?

MPC is not the additional income that a family consumes, but it is the proportion of that additional income that a family consumes. It is the ratio of changes in consumtion to changes in income. So when the income (Denominator) reduces, but the consumption (Numerator) remains the same, then the MPC (Ratio) increases.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Schools: ISB '21
Send PM
nairaneesh wrote:

Hope this helps![/quote]

:?[/quote]

But inst the MPC calculated on the additional income and not the total income. So if the current income is say, €1000, what can be calculated is the APC. If the income increases by say, €200, then, MPC would be calculable only in the €200 and not €1200. This is what I am inferring.

I understand this is not the learning from this GMAT question, but only curios to understand the solution. :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Schools: LBS '21
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Please add more questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
I am confused among options B, C and D

Quote:
As said by Sprincejindal above, I understand why option C is correct.

Quote:
However, the distinction between permanent and temporary changes in income is often subtle in practice, and it is often quite difficult to designate a particular change in income as being permanent or temporary.
From the quote above, in option B, the passage suggests that it is quite difficult to designate a particular change, but doesn't say that it is the household that are unable to designate a change in income. Hence option B is also ruled out.

Quote:
This implies that the Keynesian multiplier – the measure of that consumption’s impact on additional consumption in the marketplace – should be larger in response to permanent changes in income than it is in response to temporary changes in income (though the earliest Keynesian analyses ignored these subtleties).
. But when it comes to option D, according to the sentence above, we see that the earlier Keynesian analyses did not account for differences in permanent changes in income and temporary changes in income. And these income changes affect the MPC. Hence shouldn't option D be right?

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts