Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [131]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [14]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [8]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by [#permalink]
While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by spreading greater awareness about conservation and waste, others by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending that nuclear power is the best way to meet our energy needs.

A by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending - parallelism issue
B by proposing a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others contend - parallelism issue
C propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend - for maintaining does not show purpose
D propose a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending - parallelism issue
E propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others are contending - Is present continuous tense are contending needed here?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja ,egmat , mikemcgarry , daagh , sayantanc2k , other experts -Can you please help to select between C and E? I chose C over E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by [#permalink]
Sir i didnt Understand the parallel structure here. Is is someting related to SVO
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [5]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
E: While many argue...., others propose...., and still others are....

Parallelism is between the 3 verbs in bold above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [3]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
C propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend - for maintaining does not show purpose

E propose switching to renewable sources of energyto maintain current levels, and still others are contending -

Both options C and E have parallel structure as indicated by the bold faced verbs. For parallelism to hold it is not necessary to have same tense of the verb.
But option E is preferred over C just because it uses infinitive to correctly show purpose.

Is this understanding correct, experts kindly comment.
Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun , GMATNinja ,egmat , mikemcgarry , daagh , sayantanc2k , and other experts
I request you to enllighten how E is parallel ?
Many gnatclubers have the same doubt
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun , GMATNinja ,egmat , mikemcgarry , daagh , sayantanc2k , and other experts
I request you to enllighten how E is parallel ?
Many gnatclubers have the same doubt

teaserbae ill try

While many argue that we must reduce our dependence on fossil fuels by spreading greater awareness about conservation and waste, others by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending that nuclear power is the best way to meet our energy needs.

- meaning : WHILE (indication that following clause will be contrasted) many argue....(so author is going contrast this group's argument...
"other by proposing" ...here contrast is not clear and ungrammatical ...this is false parallelism ...it should be "other propose" as we need a cpontrast
"and other by contending" ..so here is one more contrast to the"many argue" ...but again we have a false parallelism..we need a verb (contend/are contending)

grammar error : we need a verb to contrast a verb ..so "by proposing"is wrong ..therefore A and B are gone

(C) propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend
- maintains parallelism
- clean and clear
-BUT BUT BUT the structure "for maintaining"is wrong here...
I'll elaborate on this more : "to + verb " is used to show the purpose of the preceding element
here other are proposing a switch to renewable sources ! why are they proposing this??? what is the purpose??? - TO MAINTAIN current levels
"for + verbing" is used when we are denoting ownership or what we obtained from doing something. for eg: I recieved an award FOR devoting my life to philanthropy. ... " I thank the Gods FOR blessing me with such friends" ..here you cannot use "to +verb" because you are not getting something because of thanking to the gods ...you already got the firnds and then you are thanking..similarly I am recieving an award after i did philanthropy not because i am goung to recive an award I will do philanthropy..
Short story :
"to +verb" : use this to show a purpose for doing something ...you are doing it for a reason .
"for+ verbing" : the structure AFTER "for verbing" is the actual thing you did BEFORE . That is the structure after "for verb" is done before the structure before the "verbing"
here if we use "for maintaining" what we mean is we first maintain and then we propose a shift.

(D) propose a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending
-Not parallel

(E) propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others are contending
- This may seem unparallel but there is no such compulsion that all the verb must be in the EXACT same state . As long as the event are still in PRESENT it is okay... "are contending" is present continuos and "propose" is present. We could easil;y mean that others propose and other are contending...
the main point here is "to+verb" this tells us the reason why the action (propose) has to be done ...
The structure after "to vebr"is the later achievement/goal...but the structure before "to verb" is something we have to do first
this is exactly opposite to "for vebring" where the later structure is done first and the former structure is the something you get in return.

If any doubts persist lemme know
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
This is not a genuine GMATPrep question.

This is a simulated version of an original OG 10 topic as given below.

Quote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-some-propose-to-combat-widespread-illegal-copying-of-computer-151395.html

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call

(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Ans E:

MGMAT's comments f

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A)by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

B)by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call

C)suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call

D)suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

E)suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

The parallel verbs are some PROPOSE (to combat), SUGGEST (reducing), and ARE CALLING (for X). All three verbs are in the present tense (although the third is in the present progressive, it's still considered present). If I could wave a wand, I would choose to make the third verb CALL, not ARE CALLING, but I don't have that option while retaining correct grammar in the rest of the sentence (e.g., in choice C, the expression "for decreasing" is definitely incorrect -- you must express the intended result of "reducing software prices" with an INFINITIVE such as "to decrease").

Now you can use the same logic to the given question and see whether it is ok to take E as the most parallel in the given context.

The Takeaway: Lot of questions are doing the rounds as GMATPrep questions, I don't know what for. Incidentally, the original PG 10 question does not seem to have been carried over in subsequent versions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.27
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Kudos

Between C and E, I chose the correct option E.

In the past I always had a hard time selecting options switching between "for verb-ing" and "to-verb". Things changed after I came across this article -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/to-verb-vs-for-verb-ing-144017.html

One should focus on the intended meaning of the sentence after narrowing down to two options. Please go through the article before reading my explanation.

Focus on the part below-

others propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels.

What is the purpose of switching to renewable sources of energy? To maintain current levels of fossil fuels.

Takeaway: Use "to verb" when per the context of the sentence, purpose or intent of an action is explicit.

Use "for verb-ing" when the context of the sentence requires to present the "what for" aspect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
I'm Unable to understand how E maintains parallel structure. "many argue" "others propose" & "still others contend" seems to be a parallel structure. Can you please explain?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
mainakpaul31 wrote:
I'm Unable to understand how E maintains parallel structure. "many argue" "others propose" & "still others contend" seems to be a parallel structure. Can you please explain?

parallelism doesn't mean all words should be same but speech of part should be same .
noun || noun
verb || verb
adverb || adverb

Here : noun verb, noun verb and noun verb
tenses are with verb. Different tenses are also part of parallelism

e.g.;
friendly -is adjective
quickly is adverb
friendly will not be parallel with quickly -even they sound similarly
hope you get the point

For this question, C and E will be finalists.
Then choose E over C because of purpose ,,,"to"

I hope it helps:)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mainakpaul31 wrote:

Hi mainakpaul31, still others are contending (as mentioned in E) is "present continuous" tense, while still others contend (as you've suggested) is "simple present" tense.

This difference of tenses, is immaterial from a parallelism perspective. Basically, parallelism does not require that the parallel elements be in the same tense/voice.

For example, following is perfectly valid:

Peter was born poor, but now he is doing extremely well.

Peter was born poor
- Simple past, passive voice

now he is doing extremely well.
- Present continuous, active voice.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this aspect of parallelism. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Para.pdf [10.26 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
The parallel structure for me is:

"Argue spreading... propose switching... are contending..."

I just chose the option with all the participles. Did not notice the difference between "to maintain" and "for maintaining". But you think C would have been correct if it had "to maintain"?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi generis DmitryFarber MartyTargetTestPrep

Could you please share the split between option-C and E?
Is option-E preferred to option-C ONLY because it employs infinitive?

Regards
Rohit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
While I understand C is correct since to+verb should be used to express purpose. I am confused with the v-ing in E i.e. "Others propose switching to renewable sources of energy". Switching is a v-ing and here it is used without a comma. A v-ing without a comma actually modifies a noun however PROPOSE is a verb. Actually as per the meaning, it is modifying "Others propose" i.e. Sub+verb, so still SWITCHING should come after a comma.
let me know what I am missing.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM

Option Elimination -

(A) by proposing switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending - "while" introduces a subordinate clause. After that, we'll expect an independent clause. But what we have are phrases with no verbs. ING without a helping verb is a verbal and not a verb.

(B) by proposing a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others contend - "proposing" no verb. "contend" verb. Not parallel. We need verbs and not verbal to have our independent clause after a dependent clause.

(C) propose a switch to renewable sources of energy for maintaining current levels, and still others contend - "for maintaining" is wrong. To show an intent, we need " to maintain."

(D) propose a switch to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others by contending - opposite of B but same issue.

(E) propose switching to renewable sources of energy to maintain current levels, and still others are contending - we have all verbs. That is parallel and "to maintain" is good to convey the intent.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts